Reliability of DirecTivo boxes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

video62

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
I heard one of those "Get satellite TV for only $1.00" type things on the radio, so I called the dealer number. I asked them about DirecTivo's (I have two HDVR2s already on order) and they said "Sorry, we quit carrying them about 18 months ago - they were too unreliable."

Does anyone know of a rash of problems from this timeframe?

I've never heard of any widespread problem with the various vendors of DirecTivo boxes. Were the dealers' customers just creating their own problems with them and the dealer didn't want to mess with them anymore?

Thanks!

Check out http://www.tivocommunity.com/ for yourself. I've had one of my DirecTiVos for a couple years and I've never had to even reboot it.

Fortunately, the Tivo's are built on the Linux operating system, ergo no need to rebbot! :)

jabroni said:
Fortunately, the Tivo's are built on the Linux operating system, ergo no need to rebbot! :)
Talk to those with a Dish 721. ;)

James said:
jabroni said:
Talk to those with a Dish 721. ;)

I really do not know a thing about the Dish PVR's, are they run on Linux as well?

Yes, but they're not nearly as stable as the DirecTivo boxes. Imagine this idiot dealer quoted up top...just someone who doesn't want to take the time to service a customer properly.

Mike Nassour said:
Imagine this idiot dealer quoted up top...just someone who doesn't want to take the time to service a customer properly.

That was my take on it.

Yes, I already have a UPS for my TV/DVR setup - it's saved me
many times... very good advice indeed!

Any recommendations on size of UPS or specific models?

For a 721

You don't need a very big one at all. Especially if all you are going to do is run the DirecTivo off of it. I run a APC 500. I would just look at some of the major electronics stores and get the cheapest one you can. Sometimes they have rebates and you can get them for next to nothing.

I'd suggest getting a 'brand name' UPS, such as APC or Tripp-Lite. I bought a 'junker brand' that was 'super-sale priced' and it conked out after just a few months, as did the same brand that others had bought at the sale.

Check out http://www.fatwallet.com site and forums now and then... if someone has a UPS sale you'll hear about it there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)