REMINDER: Adjust timers to reflect new time!

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
All timers that you set before this morning (before 2am sunday), must all be switched back one hour. Dish does not change their guide to reflect daylight savings, so the guide prior to this morning was all delayed 1 hour.

-All timers set before Sunday must be manually switched to record one hour before and end one hour earlier.

-Weekly timers do not need to be switched.

Sorry if this is obvious to most, but I was wondering earlier today how Dish would actually handle the time shift. I came across a post earlier and someone mentioned this, thanks. I thought everyone should be reminded to do. I know I would have missed a lot of timers.

I don't think you have to worry about most receivers. My 721 timers seem to be working as they should. I did notice that my DishPlayer did screw up (the timer fired an hour early) but it could be because of what I was recording. I have a weekly timer set up to record "Taken" every Sunday at 9 PM (ET) on the Sci Fi channel. I happened to notice at 8:10 that it was recording. I think that it got confused (it is named based recording) because "Taken" was on at 8 PM (they re-run last week's show from 7-9 PM). I stopped the recording, deleted the timer, and re-entered it for 9 PM. I'll be watching it at 9 PM to make sure it kicks off.

It is sad when you buy a piece of DISH equipment and then have to "baby sit" it to make sure that it does what it was programmed to do.

quote=It is sad when you buy a piece of DISH equipment and then have to "baby sit" it to make sure that it does what it was programmed to do.

I don't really agree with that. It's just a flaw, I don't think it's a big deal. Even tivo has its flaws.

I had to switch all the timers i had set through the guide in the past week or so. The 721 is the same thing. If you set the timers not based on the guide then it'll be fine. Its not the timers that are the problem but that Dish doesn't include the time change in the guide before 2am Sunday.

AppliedAggression said:
I don't really agree with that. It's just a flaw, I don't think it's a big deal. Even tivo has its flaws.

To me it IS important that the software works the way it should. If I set up a timer I expect it to record what I set it for, not something else.

And what flaws do the TiVos have? No one that I know that has a TiVo had to re-set any of their timers after the time change.

I agree Bill R. I would not think this would be a difficult thing for Dish to do. I remember having to redo ALL of my timers on the dishplayer (7100) when I had it.

The only timer that was messed up on my 721 was a timer I made last week for the premiere of 24. The guide said that the show was starting at 10 (They had built in the Daylight Savings Time data with an extra hour, but when it reset on Sunday the timer stayed at 10pm while the show changed to 9pm. No biggie ... deleted the origianl timer and made a new one.

The problem isn't that the timers change time, it's that the guide has incorrect times. So when you set the timer for 24, it created the timer from 10 to 11. You then have to manually change the timer back to 9 to 10. With name-based recording, it doesn't matter, but with time-based recording it hoses things up.

Why can't they just have the guide show the correct times? It's not like they have no warning that this will be a problem.

Dennis

Funny, but in the 3 Daylight/Standard changes my 501 has gone through, I've NEVER had to adjust any timer. I have 1 weekly timer, 1 "each weeknight" timer and one monthly timer and my timers went through this time change with no problems. Maybe the issue is with the type of timer one is trying to set as I've seen my 501 (through several firmware revs) handle the time change without any issues.

It is not limited to only 1-time timers. It will happen with any type of timer that was set before the time change, but set for a time after the time change. As was said above, the Guide data is "wrong", so setting a timer from the guide creates a timer for the wrong time.
I have 5 recurring timers set and they were all fine, but I had gone through the guide Saturday and set timers for shows on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. They were all off by an hour and had to be reset. I did miss 1 recording before I realized it. I purchased the 508 the day it was released, and this was the 1st recording it's ever missed. Not too bad considering some of the stories I've read.

My Dishplayer didn't record my 2 Sunday morning programs and for some reason it reset my 4 daily timers to record "Friday only!" That's the first time that happened.

My 721 and 501 timers all seem to be ok except for one. Japan doesn't observe daylight savings time so my daily TVJapan news timer had to be reentered.

--- WCS

Add me to the list of not having to change any timers. All were set before the time change and all now show the same time as they were originally set for.

I consider this a bug because of the following:

I was able to create a timer conflict without it being checked:

Before the time shift I created a timer for a show that was supposed to be at 8pm but was on the guide listed at 9pm.

Now, I create a timer for another program at 8pm and it allows it to be created because the previous event, in the timer menu, still shows it at 9pm.

But when looking at the guide I see a timer in place for BOTH 8pm events. I don't want to find out what happens at 8pm! So I deleted the older timer.

I would think that they should not allow for a state whereby two timers exist for the same time (on a single tuner system)

Lee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)