Remote Booking question(s)...

atp1313

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Goose Creek, SC
I know better than to call in to D* about this, but my HR20-700's are both running the latest CE's and have followed the path of CE's (except one update that occurred while I was out of town). My LR box is fully networked and everything is fine for DOD. DOD is activated on MBR box, but not networked yet, so no way to tell if it is properly communicating. So now the ????'s...

1) To get the Remote Booking feature to function properly, do both of my boxes need to be networked, or will it work if only one is networked?

2) Does the Remote Booking run off networking to the mothership, or phone calls from D* to the box, or data stream from sat's to box?

3) Did I miss the "code" to enable Remote Booking on my end?

4) Is D* still going through and manually enabling CE customer's accounts, or has this been automated at this point?

5) Is there some sort of "back door" on my D* online account management that needs to be used for Remote Booking?

Any and all suggestions/advice/answers will be appreciated. :)

As I understand it, you don't need to network all HR20's on the account.

I've got DoD working and tried to sign-up for online scheduling at the D* website, but the web page always replies to the effect of drop dead, the beta club is closed and you can't in!

1. No you do not need both of them to be networked... It will only pick up the ones that are networked
Make sure that you have the correct receiver number when you go to the m.directv page, originally, my networked one was NOT the primary one and it wouldnot work for me until I had my living room one made the primary... that said, my 2nd HR20 is not in range to be networked, so I guess thats why I only had the option for one of my HR20's, if they are both networked I think it gives you the option as to which one to record on.

2. I would presume it uses the internet back to D* seeing it goes to thier website .
I have not tried disconnecting the network and try the remote booking, thats a question one of the others might be able to answer.

3. I don't think there was anything special D* had to do, I think it was all in the CE software.

4. see # 3

5. See # 3

From what I've had time to play with this, this is the best I can answer you :)

Jimbo

Thanks for the replies....but where specifically is this "sign up form/option" on the D* site? I have browsed the site and never saw anything new or topical for this feature. :confused:

All i had to do was go to m.directv.com and put in my username and password (same as your directv account) then I selected what shows to record. I can even do it from my treo 700p

Thanks for the replies....but where specifically is this "sign up form/option" on the D* site? I have browsed the site and never saw anything new or topical for this feature. :confused:

If your talking about the Remote Booking, there is no sign up.
all you need to do is go to the website listed above.
I believe you also need to have receint CE, but I am unsure about that.

Worse case, you can try it and see what happens.

m.directv.com

Jimbo

Just tried the m.directv.com and tried to sign in, but was given the "closed beta" message. I guess I missed my chance to sign-up when they first rolled it out with the CE's in last month or so. Oh well, I can wait. I work form home and rarely go out of town, so this is very low on my list of D* priorities :D

The function on that site is very limited. It just a simple lookup by name and request to record. It works but its really clunky. So you are not missing much.

Will not allow me to sub...get this msg:DVR Scheduler: Mobile is currently available as a closed beta. We will be making this available to all customers in the near future. Stay tuned!
--------------
I have the latest Beta, and my HR20 has top priority.

Just tried the m.directv.com and tried to sign in, but was given the "closed beta" message. I guess I missed my chance to sign-up when they first rolled it out with the CE's in last month or so. Oh well, I can wait. I work form home and rarely go out of town, so this is very low on my list of D* priorities :D

atp,
I never had to sign up for anything and I am able to do the remote booking.

Jimbo

The function on that site is very limited. It just a simple lookup by name and request to record. It works but its really clunky. So you are not missing much.

But it WORKS !
Thats the main thing.

Eventually, they probably will dress up the web page and make it more presentable ..... it's still beta afterall.

Jimbo

New CE tonight during the usual windows
for the HR-20-700....includes as new feature(s): Support for Remote Booking

Just tried again for the heck of it, and big surprise...still no dice. But from the screenshots I saw on DBSTalk.com, the format was the same as the regular D*.com "TV Listing" layout. Is this NOT what the Mobile Beta looks like? Can someone who has access post a screenshot of the beta layout?

And why is it set up as "Mobile" and not advertised/labeled as though you were going through the main D* site? And before anyone answers with a sarcastic reply, I realize the value that a mobile login and app would have, but I would think that a format that matches the main site would be first, then they would branch out to mobile devices. Seems like putting the cart before the horse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)