remote recorder

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
I have the 722K dish receiver and record a lot on my external recorder. Do this for two reasons,can record two programs at same time and record a lot of the old black and white movies,which HD doesnt make very much difference and also it saves a lot of ware and tear on my receiver. I have my ex receiver connected to both outputs from my receiver,the Home Distribution(coax into the tuner) and the Audio/Video out put for side two.(which is only a video and audio.(uses 3 RCA cables and are connected to aux input)on recorder. When I am watching the movie,I can see no difference between the 2 inputs which I can switch back and forth. Shouldn't the input thru the timer have a better picture than the video input which only has one RCA cable? If there is any difference,I cant see it,although have not tried it with a set up DVD. Thanks john

PQ goes like this for SD connections: s-video is best, composite is a close 2nd, while RF modulated output (coax) is way down there. If you can't see the difference, your receiver has a better RF modulator than mine!

Just an FYI, whether you are recording programs to the 722k hard drive, or just playing the receiver's live tv to your external recorder, I doubt you are saving much, if any, wear and tear on your receiver, as the live tv buffer is still being "recorded" to the hard drive.

The savings I was thinking about was the playing back of recordings on the hard drive.(start,stop,backup,erase,etc) The main reason was to record the older movies which I like and wife doesn't. Also when watching a HD on side one and my wife does her usual interruptions (phone,snacks,etc-if married,you understand)I put it on hold and switch over to the ext recorder,plus like the convenience at times of having DVDs.

plus like the convenience at times of having DVDs.
I'm having a hard time trying to wrap my head around that one. It's like since mp3's and iPod, I haven't touched a CD other than to transfer one in years. I'll take a menu over a jewel case any day!;)

I'm having a hard time trying to wrap my head around that one. It's like since mp3's and iPod, I haven't touched a CD other than to transfer one in years. I'll take a menu over a jewel case any day!;)
Just like the CD scenario you mentioned, I also still use a set-top DVD recorder to archive a lot of my DVR recordings. Key word there is archive...less volatile than a hard drive. I still rip those DVDs to an EHD for quick menu access just like I rip mp3's from my owned CDs. Plus sometimes the portability of a DVD is more convenient, such as when I'm traveling or at my parents where there is no easy access to my hard drive. Is your head better wrapped now. ;)

Have a nice white label on each jewel case to write the information on and if I get tired of it,I erase the label and re enter the information. Plus DVD hardly ever crash. If K&B thinks that old technology,since I am much older than most of you and enjoy the old radio shows from the 40s(I listen to as a boy),I buy the shows on MP3 cds and transfer them to cassettes. It is getting harder to find the 2 hour cassettes and players. Lucky my 03 ford has a cassette and cd player.(never find one of those again.) Also,being retired,I probably watch a lot more TV than most of you do.

Have a nice white label on each jewel case to write the information on and if I get tired of it,I erase the label and re enter the information. Plus DVD hardly ever crash. If K&B thinks that old technology,since I am much older than most of you and enjoy the old radio shows from the 40s(I listen to as a boy),I buy the shows on MP3 cds and transfer them to cassettes. It is getting harder to find the 2 hour cassettes and players. Lucky my 03 ford has a cassette and cd player.(never find one of those again.) Also,being retired,I probably watch a lot more TV than most of you do.

I'm just about as old as you. But I'm glad I was able to surf into the new tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts