remote smoke detector?

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
One of my properties is currently vacant, and my insurance company requires a smoke detector to work and somehow alert me remotely. They recommend one of the alarm services such as ADT etc. This requires wiring the building and a monthly subscription, which is quite pricy, and might only be needed for a month or two.

The building has a wired LAN, and I was thinking I may be able to use it somehow. Is there a smoke detector that would connect to a wired LAN, preferably POE powered? I could run a app on one of the servers here and have an audible alarm and/or send a text message etc... Would be great if it also had a temp/humidity sensor as well...

Maybe someone here has run into something like this. I have seen wireless (802.11) type smoke sensors but I would prefer to not be bothered with setting up a wireless network at that site If I can help it.

Tnx FT4PA. They look rather complex. The third one looks interesting. Might send them a quote request. I googled and found much the same list before posting. One basic unit with an rj45 plug and power inserter would be what I am looking for, but not much shows up. Was even thinking of a webcam with some kind it gpio input interface but would prefer a ready-made solution.
Seems like a device that there might be demand for if the price point is low enough.

While ones tied into an alarm system have a monthly monitoring fee, you might save enough on insurance to cover the fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)