Rename to VOOM HD-Lite Programming Forum?

Should the VOOM HD Programming Forum be renamed to VOOM HD-Lite Programming Forum?

• Yes

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I suggest that we rename the VOOM HD Programming forum to the VOOM HD-Lite Programming forum until they broadcast these channels at full bitrate. Hmmm. Perhaps I should should poll the membership...

IM surprised there has not been a class action law suite on this. I mean people buy there HDTVs and then buy Dishnetwork 622 Upgrade to lease for $299 only to find its HD Lite.

There should be a disclaimer in there advertising so people will know this before they buy Dish.

Calling it Voom HD-Lite would meet the legal needs.
I know there is some technical thing that probably would allow them to get away with the HD Lite bit rate and calling it HD, but people do not know the technical bit rate charts.

Its almost like a bait and switch.

======chart=========
True 1080i 1920x1080i: 1920x540x60 = 62,208,000 pixels/sec
720p 1280x720p: 1280x720x60 = 55,296,000 pixels/sec
HD-Lite 1280x1080i: 1280x540x60 = 41,472,000 pixels/sec
DVD 720x480i: 720x240x60 = 10,368,000 pixels/sec

True 1080i: 6X DVD quality
720p: 5.33X DVD quality
HD-Lite: 4X DVD quality

That will be the correct name but I what should be done with the D* HD lite channels should they be renamed HBO HD Lite, HDnet Movies HD Lite, HDnet HD Lite, etc. Where does it end? or should we have another forum and any conversation about these HD Lite channels be thrown into that forum?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't HDnet and Movies at full resolution right now. If it is don't give them any ideas..

Not on DirecTv... They are not... They are HD Lite.

HD Lite is not a function of the provider who is delivering them. I'd bet that VOOM HD is sending these channels at 1920x1080i. In fact, I was told that they could send all 21 HD channels at 1920x1080i from their facility. There is nothing that VOOM HD has to gain by not sending all channels at 1920x1080 when they have the ability to do so. In my opionion it is a fault of Dish Network not being able to deliver the channels at full resolution. We the consumers get screwed because we do not have a choice to go to right now where we can find the VOOM channels. There is only one provider who has them and it is doing a bad job with them.

The same could not be said about the HD Lite channels on DirecTv. Those channels (except sunday ticke which it is also HD Lite) could be found in other providers at full resolution and with better bitrates yet some consumers claim not to see the difference. There is a huge difference between HD Lite and real HD.

I agree that DirecTV and others are butchering their HD feeds, but since VOOM continues to be an exclusive "Only on DishHD" then we ought to call it what it really is....VOOM HD-Lite. E* may very well be the driving force in the decision to deliver VOOM-Lite, but the folks at VOOM are sharing the same bed and, in my opinion, are equally culpable.

Why haven't we seen VOOM distributed on other cable and satellite providers in the US? Heck, it's been more than a year since Rainbow DBS sh*t the bed and STILL NO VOOM anywhere else...not even on FiOS. Rainbow Media [supposedly] brought in their heavy hitting marketing and business experts to grow subscriptions, but we haven't seen a single MonstersHD or EquatorHD pop up anywhere...not even on Cablevision's own systems.

Something must be terribly wrong with this business relationship. I get the feeling Mr. Ergen has exclusive rights to all VOOM programming...and pretty much calls all the shots! That's the only thing I can conclude at this point in time. Dish Network can pretty much say what they please because Rainbow has signed a NDS and cannot comment on these issues.

I say, Let's rename it to VOOM HD-Lite Forum and post a headline on the SatelliteGuys main page....right next to the Team Summit news and information. I bet that will grab some attention. It's time for SatelliteGuys to step up to the plate, call a spade a spade, and label VOOM what it really is...VOOM-Lite.:mad:

If the label fits...

riffjim4069 said:
Why haven't we seen VOOM distributed on other cable and satellite providers in the US? Heck, it's been more than a year since Rainbow DBS sh*t the bed and STILL NO VOOM anywhere else...not even on FiOS. Rainbow Media [supposedly] brought in their heavy hitting marketing and business experts to grow subscriptions, but we haven't seen a single MonstersHD or EquatorHD pop up anywhere...not even on Cablevision's own systems.

For the record....

TreasureHd has shown up on Expressvu in Canada.....Slightly modified.

true, on Expressvu all the channels are downresized to 1280x720p if I am not mistaken. It is the way Expressvu does their channel.

Good question but no official answer yet. Here is the unofficial answer: most cables do not have the capacity for 15 VoOM HD channels. Even Cablevision who owns Voom HD does not. Later in the year they may if the "switch video" technology proves to give them the bandwith they expect.

wow you guys need some meds or something, everyone is trapped in a loney bin

riffjim4069 said:
I agree that DirecTV and others are butchering their HD feeds, but since VOOM continues to be an exclusive "Only on DishHD" then we ought to call it what it really is....VOOM HD-Lite. E* may very well be the driving force in the decision to deliver VOOM-Lite, but the folks at VOOM are sharing the same bed and, in my opinion, are equally culpable.

Something must be terribly wrong with this business relationship. I get the feeling Mr. Ergen has exclusive rights to all VOOM programming...and pretty much calls all the shots! That's the only thing I can conclude at this point in time. Dish Network can pretty much say what they please because Rainbow has signed a NDS and cannot comment on these issues.

I say, Let's rename it to VOOM HD-Lite Forum and post a headline on the SatelliteGuys main page....right next to the Team Summit news and information. I bet that will grab some attention. It's time for SatelliteGuys to step up to the plate, call a spade a spade, and label VOOM what it really is...VOOM-Lite.:mad:

If the label fits...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (now i'm not feeling so lonly out here :) )

Hey voom heads Isnt it true when Voom was a stand alone service the Voom 21 were always in hd lite.. It was only when Charlie took them over that they were true HD (some channels only)...so please give us a break on the HD lite talk

juan said:
Hey voom heads Isnt it true when Voom was a stand alone service the Voom 21 were always in hd lite.. It was only when Charlie took them over that they were true HD (some channels only)...
The PQ on VOOM channels is now much worse than it used to be, that's a fact. Not sure if this is all due to down-rezzing, or something else. FYI, it was never 1280 on the Old VOOM. It was 1440 on some channels and 1920 on some others, if I remember correctly.

I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but as a former Voomer, I feel you should differentiate between the once great Voom PQ and what is being pumped out now.

By the way. E* says the only put out what they get, has anyone asked V* if E* wanted full HD or did they want to receive HD-Lite so they can say they are not down-rezing.

I vote No. I wouldn't rename the thread until we find out what is really going on.

Well, it's going on three weeks later and still no new information on the VOOM-Lite crisis (8 months and counting). So far the majority (56% to 44%) are in favor of renaming the VOOM HD Programming Forum. Would anyone like to reconsider their vote?:rolleyes:

VOOM-Lite...the mystery continues.:( :mad: :confused: :down :shh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)