Renewal up- What to ask for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nitemare

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
oh
My 2 YRs will be up in 02/2012. Now, I am not pleased with the slowness of the HR22 DVR box. It takes too long to change channels and response time overall is too slow for me.
If I were to renew (which I am planning on), what DVR box should I ask for? What would be the latest model that will be available in 02/2012?
Also, I have 3 boxes total. One is the HR22, the other two are non-hddvr (model D-12). If I renew, would they replace the non-dvr boxes with HD-DVR boxes for free?
Just want to know my options beforehand so I can compare. Thanks!

You might have some luck, best to just call and ask, as no situation will be the same.

FYI, I have heard, not experienced first hand, that the new software that gives the HD GUI interface really speeds these boxes up.

So, it is a software update only to make it faster? Or do I need new boxes to get the latest GUI? I just want the response time to be faster than it is. I think Ill demand the latest boxes. I know Ill lose all my DVR recordings, but the slowness is killing me. I also want atleast another free HD box. I dont think Im asking for too much.

The HD GUI really speeds up the receivers. I have a R22 which is like a HR21 and was slow until I updated it to the new GUI. Now its very fast

So, it is a software update only to make it faster? Or do I need new boxes to get the latest GUI? I just want the response time to be faster than it is. I think Ill demand the latest boxes. I know Ill lose all my DVR recordings, but the slowness is killing me. I also want atleast another free HD box. I dont think Im asking for too much.

It will work on the HR that you have, not on the standard boxes.

If you call and demand that they replace a fully functional box with a box that is simply a newer but not different (non HD to HD) model you will be turned down.
You may have some luck upgrading those two non HD-DVRs however.

Wait a minute .... you said your STAYING, and your gonna DEMAND new equipment now that your out of commitment ....

I would not DEMAND anything, I would talk with them and ask what they can do to improve the situation.
If you call in and DEMAND that now that your out of commitment you want new stuff, if you are not set to leave, what kind of DEMAND is it.

I demand you give me new equipment, or I'll stay ?

Also, don't forget, whatever you get will put you right back in another 2 year commitment.

I've seen posts on DBSTalk where posters are actually getting HR-24s directly from D* although the official policy is that receiver types are not normally guaranteed. DirecTv retention CSRs have a lot of power when it comes to keeping a good customer. As other posters have noted, try calling D* and talk to retention about your options, complaints, and desires. You may be pleasantly surprised.

It isn't like the Army where you have to re-enlist. You're commitment being up just means that you can leave without paying a penalty not that you can renegotiate. That being said, all that said you should call and ask if they can help you were right. I have 2 HR20s and 2 HR21s and they're fine just got an HR24 recently and while it's a little quicker it's not all that great. It is pretty though. The CE testers are all saying that the new GUI makes all of the DVRs fast and we'll all be getting it soon. I wouldn't pay $100 to upgrade from an HR20, 21, 22, 23 to a 24. If it was free which mine was I would take it.

The HD GUI really speeds up the receivers. I have a R22 which is like a HR21 and was slow until I updated it to the new GUI. Now its very fast

How do I update my HD GUI without getting a new box? I rather keep the box (not lose my recording), but update the software on it. Is that possible?

How do I update my HD GUI without getting a new box? I rather keep the box (not lose my recording), but update the software on it. Is that possible?

Your receiver will automatically update to the new software version that has the HD GUI. You will not loose any recordings or anything like that. They are pushing the new firmware to certain markets now, I do not know which ones or how many, but very shortly, it will be a national release. It will be transparent to you, one morning you will wake up and have a new user interface.
As far as new equipment goes, they will not "upgrade" your HR22 to a HR24, etc... You could probably get a good deal on some HD receivers or HD DVR's to replace the D12 receivers that you have. You might also want to inquire about the whole home dvr set up. It is $3 extra per month, but you can access your recordings from any of your DVR's in other rooms, but you will have to be updated to HD receivers or HD DVR's.

wait for the hr34 to be announced/rolled out

call and talk to a csr and explain you are shopping options
it never hurts to ask, worse they can do is say no

Hmm.. So it appears DirectTV does not upgrade any existing equipment to renewing customers? They offer nothing at all? Hmm. Well, I will definitely tell them about my issue with it and see what they have to say. I thought at time of renewel they would just give you the latest equipment anyway if you ask since it is theirs anyway. Ill wait for this 'automatic' update to appear and see if that fixes the speed in navigation. If not, I will be complaining and see what they have to say. Overall, I am happy with their service and this is not a deal breaker if I get stuck with the same boxes for another 2 years. Thanks so far for all your advise!

always try to get a different agent on the phone! don't forget you're dealing with human beings, so if the first one is not cooperating switch to the next agent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts