Repaired My AM21 Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You BOUGHT a 32" CRT? BOUGHT?

I'll GIVE you, or ANYONE, a 36 incher, and throw in a 27 incher! I'll even help get it to your vehicle!
Well I only paid $20. My step-dad picked it up for me. The guy on the ad said it was a 40" but was mixed up and measured the entire TV and not just the screen. Not to be racist or anything, but he was a foreigner and got a little-mixed up on that, which seems like it can happen with them occasionally. I wanted as big of a CRT as I could get that was also a Sony that was also curved and this was the one I saw. Before I ordered it I thought it was a little fishy due to the fact that I was almost positive that curved CRTs only go up to 35" or 36", but I took a chance. Even though I heard that the Zapper could still work on a flat CRT, I didn't want to take the chance on that, or perhaps it would even work better on curved anyways. But as for the bigger CRT, I wasn't going to make my step-dad make another trip for another one, so this one was fine.

You need to leave that cold place and visit the D.C. area. Being a vehicle with space. I'll throw in functional remotes!

Reactions: raoul5788
It has been a long time since I have posted here but I wanted to share this for anyone who may have a "dead" AM21 off-air tuner.
My AM21 stopped working and the HR24 display showed both off-air tuners as "removed". Tried resetting, different USB cable, etc. but no joy.
I decided to crack open the AM21 and noticed that two of the 10uF 250V capacitors were bulging a bit.
Replaced both caps and it works again. $2.50 in parts and a bit of soldering - not bad.
Sorry I did not note the cap numbers. Be sure to get low profile replacement caps as the box is so thin.
Well ... all this is nice, but I don't think anyone will be able to "repair" this no matter what you do ....

The latest from Stuart ....

Solid Signal Blog - REVISED: Can you use a DIRECTV AM21 with an HD receiver?

It's official I'm afraid ...

The AM21 will soon be joining the geniego as a doorstop and the integrated guide a thing of history when DIRECTV shuts down the OTA database in the stream and with upcoming receiver firmware updates.

Interesting, though not surprising. I would imagine AT&T is going to have locals coming through the internet at some point as a back up. Especially now with the HS17. Rural areas should be getting better wireless options since companies like Google are testing internet over wireless as we speak.

I also see Stuart thinks AT&T won't be coming out with a USB OTA dongle like DISH currently uses. Interesting.

Interesting, though not surprising. I would imagine AT&T is going to have locals coming through the internet at some point as a back up. Especially now with the HS17. Rural areas should be getting better wireless options since companies like Google are testing internet over wireless as we speak.

I also see Stuart thinks AT&T won't be coming out with a USB OTA dongle like DISH currently uses. Interesting.

google is staying urban atm.

google is staying urban atm.

Hence my sentence stating "companies like Google". Everyone knows the name Google. Each state has different IP's, with the majority of them testing wireless internet at the moment.

Today rural areas may not have wireless internet, tomorrow, next year? :) Being from Iowa, I know Mediacom not only is testing wireless, but they've launched it in a few towns. Just the first step in bringing wireless everywhere.

Yes but the speeds are terrible and its expensive. Not much of an incentive to cut the cord.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)