Repairing a dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aristotle73

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
One corner of my dish is a little bent from being knocked over by the win a while back :/ How should I bend it back? It was recommended by another member that I place a towel over the area and then bend it back with plyers so as not to scratch the reflective coating. Would doing this be okay?

With the declining popularity of the BUD (except for us dinosaurs), maybe you can find someone locally, who has a dish like the one you have, that you can haul off for parts.
What kind is it?

Greg: It's a six foot winegard dish. It's pretty old. I doubt I could find another dish around here considering that the one I have was hard enough to find.

Got any pictures?
I've seen a few small BUDs around here in yards. I saw one that had been uprooted and was laying in a front yard by a fence a couple weeks back

Looks just like my 8 ft Winegard

aristotle73 said:
Greg: Click the links named "Pic1. Pic2. Pic3." on http://aristotle73.250free.com

Ignore the attempt to use a tiny Ku LNBF on the dish. That was a stupid move on my part when I was a total newbie.

That looks just like my 8 ft Winegard BUD. I have seen a few other Winegards around Reno, but all are 10 footers used on restaurants.
Those things were built to last!
Jeff

WyrTwister: No, it did not work. There was no way I could get the signal into the mouth of the LNB. If anyone has any luck doing that though, I'd be more than happy to give it another shot.

aristotle73 said:
WyrTwister: No, it did not work. There was no way I could get the signal into the mouth of the LNB. If anyone has any luck doing that though, I'd be more than happy to give it another shot.

Could not really tell ( a close-up might help ) , but that looks kind of like a C band rig ? Does it have a scalar ring ?

What size are the holes in the mesh ?

I am a newbie , but I am not sure what you have ?

Wyr

aristotle73 said:
One corner of my dish is a little bent from being knocked over by the win a while back :/ How should I bend it back? It was recommended by another member that I place a towel over the area and then bend it back with plyers so as not to scratch the reflective coating. Would doing this be okay?

I had that dish in the mid 80's, its a old Winegard 6 foot Pinnacle.

You need to change the LNB on that one as the dish is VERY deep, it got a f/d of 0.278

Only one who makes feeds for that kind of deep dishes are Seavey Engineering.

You will loose alot of signal with the current setup.

If you want the manual i still have it in PDF.

LikVid: Please send me the pdf form of the manual! That would be a life saver!

Is there any way to get this dish up and running without that special kind of feed horn? Like something I could rig up?

Last edited:
aristotle73 said:
LikVid: Please send me the pdf form of the manual! That would be a life saver!

Is there any way to get this dish up and running without that special kind of feed horn? Like something I could rig up?

Yeah you could use a standard prime-focus feedhorn but you will loose signal, you need a Seavey feed but they cost alot of money or try find one on Ebay, there has been one or two there over the year.

Download the manual from my server.

http://pal.pp.se/~kalle/Winegard.pdf

It includes the 6/8/10 foot Pinnacle dishes with specifications. :)

aristotle73 said:
The pics showed, looks like you has the dish with LNA and at the back of the wave guide is blockdown converter, and the old old receiver is a manual turn C bander. those are really difference with LNB and no wonder it do not work. The ku LNBF you will need a suitable receiver and it will useless.

defiantly Old School, LNA has the big fitting for the cable that goes to the downconverter, and the receiver is a lot like my old Sat-Tecs with separate Audio/Tuner knobs and a signal strength meter...One of mine had a toggle for the H/V the older one did not, I used an antenna rotator to switch polarity's.

Ok, the Winegard dishes got F/D of 0.275 approx.

There is no feed these days that comply to these specs except Seavey Engineering.

When these dishes were sold in the 80's they always, those i sold anyway, came with a Seavey feed with a C120 hole or a Seavey polarizer model PR-120 which included the feed to bolt to the buttonhook.

If you can find or can afford a Seavey feedhorn to your dish it will deliver one of the best performances of any dish in that size.

The deep design was excellent as it shielded the LNB from remote noise at the sides.....

As i said again a LNBF with integrated feed as shown in your picture won't work good at all, they are designed for Offset dishes with F/D of 0.60 approx.

You will have huge signal spill with a LNBF.

Just get a good C120 LNB like Invacom, Inverto or MTI and buy the Seavey feed or polarizer and you will be set.

Please check the dish for warpage before buying this as if the dish is warped you will never be able to correct it again to it's true parabolic shape.

LikVid: I doubt I'll ever be able to afford any of the Seavey products. They are just too expensive. Since I can't really use the dish, I'll probably have to get rid of it. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)