Repairing SV elite 360 power supply board

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fhorta

Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
california
i found a how to, more or less on repairing power supply. i'm trying to order several electrolytic capacitors to replace on power supply board. the reason i'm doing this is because receiver does not get signal or quality. the premise at this point is that there is no lnb power being provided to the tuners. this requires the replacement of certain capacitors but is recommended to replace all capacitors wihin that given circuit to avoid further issues. anyway, just mentioning this in case someone is on the same boat.

my question: by ordering off of digi key website, it asks to filter for capacitors by providing desired uf, V and temperature. the caps i'm trying to replace on the board are two 470uf/35V, and one 220uf/35/V and they all have the 105 temperature written on the caps. I can find right capacitor by uf, v, and working temperature. for example, my plan is to replace caps EC 201, EC 210, and EC 202 on the power supply board. where i'm lost is what ripple effect, and lifetime should i choose? there are some capacitors that work at 105 degrees for example but have diffeerent lifetime hours such as 000 hours, 2000, 3000, 5000 hours at a given working or lifetime tempeature? anyway, kind of lost on this so if any one can help..also when filtering for the right capacitor it asks for the series. i'm not sure what to put there either. also, the capacitors on sv are samxon; will it make a difference if i replace them with other brand such as nichicon? there is no samxon brand offered by digi key. thanks again.​

Last edited:
full disclosure?

As I recall, Nichicon is a superior Japanese brand.
They're what I used to put on computer motherboards which had failed.

Not sure that's going to fix you up, though.
In another recent thread, didn't you smoke the power supply *after* finding you had no LNB power?
And I thought you reported all your capacitors looked good .

I'm not hopeful.

As far as replacing your capacitors just make sure you have the same UF value and the same voltage or even higher and as far as the temperature I won't worry about it. Just make sure that it will fit into the board holes. Also you might look at MCM electronics, they carry a good supply and reasonable prices the last time I ordered from them, only draw back would be shipping cost. I'd check with your local stores for a better deal.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Capacitors

Thanks for.responses. as.far as.smoking the power board, I realized it wasn't the power board I was testing, but another component in.the mainboard. I plugged it back in and.everything.worked fine except.the previous issue of.no quality and signal. At this point.I.could.throw.away.receiver and purchase another for over $150 or.I.can spend $5 and.see if.works. I borrowed soldering.tool.and soldering.removal. thanks again. Btw, I had.receiver checked twice (free) and both repair techs said it was the power supply board. Of. Course they didnt say what part of the board specifically but I was happy they found nothing wrong.with mainboard. Which is where tiny speck of smoke came.from.

Last edited:
My first guess for the smoke would be a resistor , so I'd start looking at them. Also the best way to remove components would be to cut them off on top the board and then use the iron to heat the remaining lead and remove it from the bottom, this way you'll have less change to damage the circuit path by using to much heat. Then you can use a desoldering tool to clean out the hole.

I am a maintenance man/electrician and I repaired many power supplies where I work, I must say that I am not a electronic guy.
What I do when replacing a capacitor I get a capacitor with an higher volt value. In your case I would get a 50V capacitor even though you have a 35 V capacitor in it. The uF have to be exactly the same. Most online sites should give you measurements on capacitors, this way you can make sure that you have space to put them in place.
Since most of those capacitors are DC capacitors you have to put them in place the same way.... minus to -, so mark them when you take them out. If you solder them in backwards you will damage other components on the board.
Many times when a capacitor goes bad the ends bulge out or ends are rounded, I even seen them raise up and grow taller.
It is a possibility that the voltage regulator or other things are bad on the supply.
You can call digikey and they are willing to help you.

Did you check the output voltages on the power supply ?
Did you google for a replacement power supply ?

I am a maintenance man/electrician and I repaired many power supplies where I work, I must say that I am not a electronic guy.
What I do when replacing a capacitor I get a capacitor with an higher volt value. In your case I would get a 50V capacitor even though you have a 35 V capacitor in it. The uF have to be exactly the same. Most online sites should give you measurements on capacitors, this way you can make sure that you have space to put them in place.
Since most of those capacitors are DC capacitors you have to put them in place the same way.... minus to -, so mark them when you take them out. If you solder them in backwards you will damage other components on the board.
Many times when a capacitor goes bad the ends bulge out or ends are rounded, I even seen them raise up and grow taller.
It is a possibility that the voltage regulator or other things are bad on the supply.
You can call digikey and they are willing to help you.

Did you check the output voltages on the power supply ?
Did you google for a replacement power supply ?
This is good advice, to use the same capacity (microfarads) and higher voltage. But usually such a capacitor is bigger (taller). I fixed a faulty (pixellating) Viewsat receiver, replacing a few bulging capacitors with bigger ones, extending their terminals and placing them horizontally, above other elements. So far, the receiver works OK. Cheers, polgyver

I have the same boxes and they are not that bad but instead of fixing the receiver why don't you just get a high def like the micro hd or an openbox?

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)