Replace Hopper 2 to Hopper 3. Cost?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a Hopper 2 (it works fine) and I want to upgrade to the Hopper 3. Primarily for 4K. Any one know just what is involved as far as fees, etc.
If you have the grandfathered DVR fee, switching to Hopper 3 will raise your DVR fee to $15 per month. If all you want is 4K, you could simply add a 4K Joey to your Hopper 2. The Joey fee would be $7 per month. However, if you already have a non-4K Joey, you could simply replace that Joey with the 4K Joey for no additional monthly fee. Dish may very likely charge you a one-time upgrade fee for each 4K Joey you add, though. If you want to avoid Dish's upgrade fee, you could purchase the 4K Joey instead of leasing it from Dish. Purchasing the Joey would allow you to deactivate it whenever it is not in use, to eliminate the monthly receiver fee completely. I think someone still has a 4K Joey for sale in the Classifieds section here. Here is the link:
(The conversation in that thread makes it look like someone already bought the 4K Joey. However, it is still listed as "For Sale" in the thread title.)

Since most if not all 4k programing these days includes some form of HDR, of what value is a 4k Joey? Am I missing something?
In that same vain, while the Hopper 3 is capable of HDR they haven't shown anything in HDR since the South Korea Winter Olympics in February, 2018. That is with the exception of the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps.

If all you want is 4K, you could simply add a 4K Joey to your Hopper 2.

The Dish site says: "Create a whole home 4K experience with a 4K Joey supported only with a Hopper 3."

Is that not the case? I would think that since the Joey is a client of the Hopper, the Hopper would be required to support 4k in order to
send that signal to the Joey.

The 4K Joey was introduced before the Hopper 3, and therefore I believe it will display 4K content when connected to a Hopper with Sling (H2).

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I think you're right.

Echostar's info PDF about the 4K Joey says
"Uses MoCA 2.0 and 1.1 technology to connect to the
Home Video Network for satellite programming and
DVR services via a Hopper® or Hopper with Sling®."

I believe them. I wonder why the main Dish site says supported only with the Hopper 3, sort of implying that the H3 is required. Or maybe it's just "not supported" if you have trouble.

150$ fee to get hopper 3 and 15$ per 4k joey atlest if was when I did the upgrade IF you been with dish long enough can argue with them to get them wave the upgrade fees, I had to pay the fees the but they reimbursed the fees in my coming bills I been with dish for 20+ years

I think you're right.

Echostar's info PDF about the 4K Joey says
"Uses MoCA 2.0 and 1.1 technology to connect to the
Home Video Network for satellite programming and
DVR services via a Hopper® or Hopper with Sling®."

I believe them. I wonder why the main Dish site says supported only with the Hopper 3, sort of implying that the H3 is required. Or maybe it's just "not supported" if you have trouble.
If I remember correctly, the 4K Joey will not work with the original Hopper, but it will work with every other model of Hopper, including the Hopper Duo. However, the wording on Dish's site is still technically correct:
"Create a whole home 4K experience with a 4K Joey supported only with a Hopper 3."
A Hopper 3 would be required for a whole-home 4K experience. With any other model of Hopper, you would only have 4K at the Joey location.

Agree. With the amount of 4K content available on Dish, maybe they should say "Create a whole home very occasional 4K experience on exactly one channel with a 4K Joey supported only with a Hopper 3." :)

• Love
Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)