Replace Hopper Internal Drive?

My Master Bedroom HWS was acting wonky last night. First I turned it on and everything came on slow. Then went to DVR to watch a recording from the day before and all my commands took 15 - 20 seconds to happen. Started playing the show only to have it take 20 - 30 seconds to load and then it would play 20 - 30 seconds and then freeze for 10 - 15 seconds then start playing again and did it over and over. Tried a different recording which wouldn't even load. Went back to live TV and live TV seemed ok only Info request and FF button pushes took 15 - 20 seconds to happen. PTAT was recording so I didn't want to do a reboot. Went to Family Room HWS and it seemed ok although seemed a bit slow to load DVR recordings (could have been my imagination because of what happened in MB). Tried to connect to MB HWS and it would only show PTAT folder, Rentals folder and Deleted Recordings Folder. Went to bed before PTAT ended but noticed receiver was on this morning which it usually never is. Also EHD light was blinking differently than its normal single blink every 5 seconds or so. Will be checking further when I get home later. Also still on S515 on both HWS.

My Master Bedroom HWS was acting wonky last night. First I turned it on and everything came on slow. Then went to DVR to watch a recording from the day before and all my commands took 15 - 20 seconds to happen. Started playing the show only to have it take 20 - 30 seconds to load and then it would play 20 - 30 seconds and then freeze for 10 - 15 seconds then start playing again and did it over and over. Tried a different recording which wouldn't even load. Went back to live TV and live TV seemed ok only Info request and FF button pushes took 15 - 20 seconds to happen. PTAT was recording so I didn't want to do a reboot. Went to Family Room HWS and it seemed ok although seemed a bit slow to load DVR recordings (could have been my imagination because of what happened in MB). Tried to connect to MB HWS and it would only show PTAT folder, Rentals folder and Deleted Recordings Folder. Went to bed before PTAT ended but noticed receiver was on this morning which it usually never is. Also EHD light was blinking differently than its normal single blink every 5 seconds or so. Will be checking further when I get home later. Also still on S515 on both HWS.
EXACTLY what happened to mine. Do a plug reboot, should get your recordings back on screen. But, some of them have been corrupted. Those that were on mine would not even transfer to EHD. Don't try to watch again. Would wager most of your recent recordings are messed up.

I am starting to think there are a lot more hopper hd crashes coming soon . I have been with dish over 15 years and have seen a lot of receivers come and go ,I just hooked up my old 622 rock solid !!!

Started a conversation with Mike H from DIRT on Thursday and gave him my account info. He asked me if we had any weather problems and I sent back no. He has not been back since that I can see and haven't seen anyone else from DIRT on when I've checked. Wife is getting antsy because the HWS not working. If I pull the plug it will go through the startup and tune to the last channel we watched. It will not shut off (have to pull the plug), change channels, go to guide or go to the DVR. Should I wait until DIRT comes back or start a chat with Dish CSR. Have been using DIRT since they've been here so very nervous about using chat or phone, but wife is running out of patience. Thanks for any input.

Started a conversation with Mike H from DIRT on Thursday and gave him my account info. He asked me if we had any weather problems and I sent back no. He has not been back since that I can see and haven't seen anyone else from DIRT on when I've checked. Wife is getting antsy because the HWS not working. If I pull the plug it will go through the startup and tune to the last channel we watched. It will not shut off (have to pull the plug), change channels, go to guide or go to the DVR. Should I wait until DIRT comes back or start a chat with Dish CSR. Have been using DIRT since they've been here so very nervous about using chat or phone, but wife is running out of patience. Thanks for any input.
I understand your and your wife's frustration. You should not have had to wait this long without an answer. Somehow, you fell through the cracks. Chatting with a CSR will not expedite anything since it is the weekend. I would wait until Monday and give Dirt another shot. Don't wait for Mike to log on, deal with the first available. Have your PM's to Mike handy to include.

The DIRT people have their work schedule on their profile pages. They don't work M-F. I wouldn't hesitate to contact another one and tell them you've been working with Mike. He probably has notes on your account about anything he's done.

Sounds like good advice, I'll keep my eyes open. Meanwhile I think I will swap one of my Joeys from my son's room to my room and the hopper over there then switch the wiring at the node. That should get us through till the new HWS comes. I don't know about anyone else but I'm starting to get nervous about all these dead Hopper hard drive stories. Mostly just use it in the evening and then Sirius to go to sleep by.

This thread shows one of the advantages of owning your receiver that is seldom acknowledged by the leasing aficionados. By owning you are not at the mercy of CSRs who don't work 24/7. Nor do you have to deal with an unknown quantity, a refurbished replacement that could have other non-harddrive related problems (been there, done that). If my HWS starts displaying the symptoms of a HD failure, I just wait to the morning when all recordings have completed and swap in a new ($60) Seagate 2TB (ST2000VM003) pipeline drive, put it back together and let the rcvr firmware do the rest. Same serial # and receiver card so it doesn't have to be reauthorized. With the Hopper the remote backup should even restore your timers (and favorite channel lists?). Only thing you won't have is your recordings and you lose those anyway with a replacement receiver.

Reactions: fredp and dishrich
Sounds like good advice, I'll keep my eyes open. Meanwhile I think I will swap one of my Joeys from my son's room to my room and the hopper over there then switch the wiring at the node. That should get us through till the new HWS comes. I don't know about anyone else but I'm starting to get nervous about all these dead Hopper hard drive stories. Mostly just use it in the evening and then Sirius to go to sleep by.
Zach is currently logged on.

If my HWS starts displaying the symptoms of a HD failure, I just wait to the morning when all recordings have completed and swap in a new ($60) Seagate 2TB (ST2000VM003) pipeline drive, put it back together and let the rcvr firmware do the rest. Same serial # and receiver card so it doesn't have to be reauthorized. With the Hopper the remote backup should even restore your timers (and favorite channel lists?). Only thing you won't have is your recordings and you lose those anyway with a replacement receiver.
My pixelation problem seems small compared to the failures reported here but I do have a spare new Seagate drive on the shelf waiting, just in case. So far my troubleshooting hasn't, yet, pointed at a HD specific problem but still am troubleshooting it.

Was just on the phone for thirty minutes trying to get my owned 622 activated while I get a new hard drive for my hopper . Called Tuesday to activate it but they didn't send signal to smart card every time I called back the wait was to long I should have just waited for the hard drive to arrive now I will have to call again when I install it .

This thread shows one of the advantages of owning your receiver that is seldom acknowledged by the leasing aficionados. By owning you are not at the mercy of CSRs who don't work 24/7. Nor do you have to deal with an unknown quantity, a refurbished replacement that could have other non-harddrive related problems (been there, done that). If my HWS starts displaying the symptoms of a HD failure, I just wait to the morning when all recordings have completed and swap in a new ($60) Seagate 2TB (ST2000VM003) pipeline drive, put it back together and let the rcvr firmware do the rest. Same serial # and receiver card so it doesn't have to be reauthorized. With the Hopper the remote backup should even restore your timers (and favorite channel lists?). Only thing you won't have is your recordings and you lose those anyway with a replacement receiver.
Regular CSRs could have done the exchange all the same. I've done it both ways.