Replacement 722 Means Lost External HD Recordings?

gws

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
CA
About a month ago, our VIP 722 receiver had to be replaced. Today, I connected the external HD, which had a large number of recorded programs, to the new receiver for the first time. I got Warning 866, which said that an external HD could only be used with one receiver, and that I would have to delete everything on it to use it with the new receiver. This did not seem correct, so I called Dish. The rep I talked with said that the old receiver
had been refurbished and sent to another customer. Thus, it looks like I am trying to use an external device that belongs to a different account. He said that I must delete all of the recordings because I waited too long to connect the external drive to the new receiver.

Is this correct? If so, why was I not told this when I talked to the rep who set up the replacement?

I would have thought that they would have transferred the authorization to the new receiver when you activated it, but I don't know for sure. I've never waited a month to plug in an EHD to a new receiver.

The EHD is associated with the account, not the receiver. Have them send a hit, including the EHD to your new 722... As an example, I had my EHD connected to my 722 and now have moved it to 3 different Hoppers, all on the same account. It has continued to work flawlessly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)