Replacement fan for HR24-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jumpyg

Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
SE Michigan
I've been battling overheating issues for a while. I added dual fans on my cabinet and that seemed to help right away. That lasted a week and then regular overheating. So I opened the box this weekend and found that the fan wouldn't run. The fans are powered with a three-pin connector on the motherboard, and otherwise they just slide into a bracket. So I slid it out and cleaned it up a bit. Plugged it back in and noticed it moved just a bit when plugged in and then stopped. So I took it out again, added a drop of 3-in-1 oil to the lubrication well and managed to get the fan running again. The DVR was used heavily this weekend with no overheating, so the fan is working....for now.

I'd like to buy a replacement, but it's been hard to find the right one. The label says it was made by JMC (jmcproducts.com) and P/N is 05001A0038. I think the model number is 5015-12. Their website doesn't list this fan, and I can't find it online. It measures 50mm and is 12volts, 0.08 amps.

If anybody has found a replacement fan and successfully swapped it on a HR24-100, I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I can find fans with similar or identical specs, but the motherboard connector is a little different. My fan has one fin on the connector, and the others I've seen have two, so I think I'd have to cut my connector and attach it to the new fan. Thanks for any advice.

Maybe it's an owned receiver with a replacement hard drive? If not, it is an HR, so replacing just the fan and not the receiver saves all of his recordings.

We have a store here on Long Island called MICROCENTER that stocks all sorts of internal computer parts. I'd suggest a store like that or how about Radio Shack? Why not bring the fan in and see if they can match it up?

Maybe it's an owned receiver with a replacement hard drive? If not, it is an HR, so replacing just the fan and not the receiver saves all of his recordings.

We have a store here on Long Island called MICROCENTER that stocks all sorts of internal computer parts. I'd suggest a store like that or how about Radio Shack? Why not bring the fan in and see if they can match it up?
Thanks, that's a good idea, but I was hoping to be proactive and have a replacement fan on hand when (if?) the current one dies again.

I was betting others have had their fans go bad. That seems like a common failure point. I don't want to lose all my recordings over a silly fan.

Why not just get a replacement from DTV? A replacement receiver that is.
directv can decide to send him an HR21 instead of an HR24. if you're a person that can do this type of thing then go for it. i would. if you're not then like you said get the replacement .

Last edited:
My fan is broken!!!! My HR24-100 has a fan with beveled corners on the bottom two corners. Most fans I find on the web are all square. There is a guy on ebay selling a HR24 fan and he warns there are two types for the HR24-100. The pic he has on his listing does not match mine. The fan he is selling has regular squared corners. I guess I could cut the plastic angles in the fan holder area to allow the square fan? Finding this fan has not been easy for me. Any leads???

HR24 eBay Fan

Wrong fan - EBay
JMC Part No: 04000A0034

Right fan
JMC Part No: 05001A0038

I ordered the HR24 fan from eBay seller "justpal." It arrived yesterday.

It is smaller and doesn't have the beveled corners. It's too small to firmly fit into the fan cradle and basically sits there loosely. If the HR24 were moved, then it would fall over, unless it was glued or double sided taped down.

If you could get it glued or taped down, it's size causes me to wonder about its CFM ability.

The three conductor plug on the wire does snap into the receptacle.

Wrong fan - EBay seller "justpal". JMC Part No: 04000A0034, Model No: 4010-12.

Correct fan - JMC Part No: 05001A0038, Model # 5015-12.

Breakdown of model numbers

Correct fan
5015-12
50 (50mm H x 50mm W), 15 (15mm D), -12 (12 volt DC Voltage).

eBay Fan
4010-12
40 (40mm H x 40mm W), 10 (10mm D), -12 (12 volt DC Voltage).

Both fans draw 0.08 amps.

I have uploaded a picture of the two fans, side by side.

The eBay fan, JMC Part No: 04000A0034, Model No: 4010-12, is on the left side of the picture.

The fan that I actually need, JMC Part No: 05001A0038, Model # 5015-12, is on the right side.

I also uploaded a straight on picture of the connector.

I suspect that JMC # 05001A0038 is a discontinued item and DirecTV probably changed out the fan to a newer fan that was readily available in the Supply Chain.

I am also exploring getting a 50mm x 50mm x 15 fan from an alternate source.

I noticed on Partstat.com, an Electronic Components Search Engine that a Global Supply Chain Company, Celestica Inc, is sitting on a Qty of 5007 of these fans. I suspect that they will sell these in volume only.

I took the chance and called their Austin Sales Office and left a message with a callback number. Maybe I will ask for a sample if I can get through to the salesperson.

The seller did caution in his auction that there were two different fans for HR24. I thought that the differences were the beveled corners. The correct fan is larger.

It appears that most of the heat in the HR24 is generated by a CPU with a heatsink that touches the 500GB Hard drive and transfers heat to the 500GB hard drive causing the hard drive to get hot. The fan is located close to the hard drive. Unsure if the fan blows air towards or away from the 3.5" hard drive.

I am also surprised that the cooling system of the HR24 wasn't given more thought.

Below are my observations of design flaws of the HR24 DVR.

1. There is too much reliance on the only fan in the box, which is cheap. I got this DVR less than two years ago, and the fan has already failed.

2. The CPU has a heatsink only. There is no CPU fan on top of the heatsink.

3. The heatsink on the CPU sits right next to the 3.5" hard drive and touches it, causing the hard drive to become a surrogate heatsink. I supposed if DirecTV switched to a 2.5" laptop hard drive, then this would eliminate this problem.

4. There is no exit and entry fans to suck in cool air and blow out hot air.

Overheating is probably the biggest reason for hardware failure. A good cooling system is sometimes an after thought in hardware design.

I work for a Telecom Equipment manufacturer and have seen poor cooling system design in some of our products.

I will contact eBay seller 'justpals' about getting an RMA number. I had bought two fans thinking that it was a sure thing.

I am ready to get the HR24 replaced under warranty. Wife is giving me a hard time. I just don't want to lose the recordings and the playlists. This is the main reason why I am seeking a replacement fan.

I use this DVR for my shows and movies. The 2nd DVR, which is upstairs has my wife's shows, and the third DVR in the front room has the kids shows and playlists. My wife has hinted that the kids DVR is also showing temperature messages too.

Since we have Whole Home DVRs with three HR24 DVRs, it would be nice if DirecTV had added a "Migration Feature" that allowed the ability to move the stored content and configured playlists from a DVR that will be decommissioned and placed onto another DVR on the Network or placed onto a DirecTV App running on a PC or MAC.

When the replacement DVR shows up, connected, and provisioned on the account, then the stored Content and Playlist could be restored onto the new DVR.

I hope that DirecTV reads the postings in these forums. :(

DSLBiker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 1,790
Last edited:
I'm having the same problem as the above poster. It is ridiculous that it is so hard to find a replacement fan for this box. I ordered one from Newegg that just got delivered today and not it has to go back. It is too big and the connector didn't fit either. I was thinking about buying the one on ebay but the seller said that it would not fit and based on the above post I'm going to hold off. So, not sure what I'm going to do next. Any luck on trying to get the correct fan from Partstat.com? I hate the fact that I'm going to lose all my programming if I have to send this box back. Hopeful someone has some other tips.

Thanks!

I too need that fan, the beveled one. In my HR24-100, the fan is blowing directly on the Power Supply FET heatsink, not the processor heatsink.
Anyone find the JMC Part No: 05001A0038 ??

I just received permission from DirecTV to open my box and see if the fan is running. It wasn't so I unplugged it and removed the round foil seal as well as the foam plug over the bearing and shaft then put a drop of oil on the bearing and shaft and reinstalled the plug and foil seal. It fired up with no noise and a max temp of 100 for the last 3 hours. The tech said he would send free a HR24-200 or a HR24-500 and I would be able to save all my recordings from the old HDD as well as my 2T external. I don't trust that info so I'll hope the oil works.

The tech was wrong. Moving an external hd to another dvr will reformat the drive. There is no way to transfer recordings from one dvr to another.

I've just replaced a HR24-200 because of fan issue(well not really an issue other than fan noise probably from dust) , and got a newer looking HR24-500, I've just wanted a different receiver because of slow response issues and it gives a little heat, It faster than the HR24-200 I've had, but I'll give it a couple days before it slows again:)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)