Replacement for 942?

erosenrosen

Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
:confused:

hello, I'm a newbie, so pardon my lack of info on this.

Is Dish replacing the 942 early next year? Suggestions about waiting to buy the new unit. Money not the issue, getting the best product is.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Well, Charlie does have a "Special HD Charlie Chat" scheduled for January. so you might want to wait until then.

Honestly, I would just go ahead and buy one now and just start enjoying it. It litterally will be a very long time before you likely need the replacement.

The only big "IF" is that if they actually do launch new channels only available in MPEG-4. Then we'd have to have MPEG-4 capable receivers to view them. Right now there are mixed messages on how that is going to be handled.

What DMA are you in? Larger DMA's will be the first to see the HD locals that are rumered to be MPEG4. So if you are a smaller DMA then there really wouldn't be a need to wait for the next HD DVR.

Looks like the next chat could be a big one at least for those that do not know all of this information that we already know.

Im expecally intrested in this as chicago (the dma Im in is getting mpg4 LIL HD in JAN..) now... this leaves the question.. Is there going to be a mpg4 HD DVR... As im a current 942 owner.. It might be worth it... it might not be.. I can get All my LIL hd via OTA with the execption on CBS But thats what 61.5 is for :) It would be nice to take down my ant.. and have HD locals.. ;)

The replacement: 942+? 962? 622? All three? Only two of the three? Or is the 942+ just going to be an upgraded version of the 942 with the new board while Dish continues to have a more premium HD DVR with the 962 in addition to the 622? What would be the advantages of the 962 to the 622?

I don't think that there will be a 962, i think that was just a rumer. I think that the only thing that we will see as a MPEG4 HD DVR is the 622 and the 942+. The question I have is what are they going to do with the MPEG2 942's. Are they going to get the customers send them in and give them a upgraded 942 (942+)? To many unknowns as of now for me.

Last edited:
I email VSSLL about the 962 and the 422 that they had listed on their website asking if they had inside info or was it just speculation and naturally they never replyed.

That would have been one sweet keyboard. I wish they would have made the internet available on these units like they did with the 7100/7200 WebTv DishPlayers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)