Replacement Hopper - Timer Question

Josh125

Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I have a replacement Hopper being shipped since my Hopper 311'd the other day. My question is on timers. Is there a way to transfer my timers to the new Hopper or do I have to rebuild everything?

As an aside, when the hard drive goes the system becomes useless for all intensive puposes. My Joey's all boot to blank screens and channel guides and to turn the channel on live TV on the Hopper I actually have to turn it off then back on for the new channel to appear. Fun times :rolleyes:

Use the System Wizard to backup all of your settings and timers. Press and hold the button labeled "System Wizard" at the bottom of the remote. If your Hopper is too far gone to do this then you will have to do everything manually.

My Hopper with Sling was also constantly re-booting. I am also waiting for a replacement.

I found by disconnecting the satellite cable, it prevents the re-booting, and I am able to watch my shows, and copy my shows onto the external hard drive.

My Hopper with Sling was also constantly re-booting. I am also waiting for a replacement.

I found by disconnecting the satellite cable, it prevents the re-booting, and I am able to watch my shows, and copy my shows onto the external hard drive.

If you connect the satellite cable now, how long does it take to reboot and does it consistently reboot after a given time until the sat cable is removed again? What software version and hardware iD?

Keep trying sometimes the 10th time is the charm. Keep remote steady and pointed at the Hopper. Try backup thru the menu to see if that might help.
Just a FYI, not necessary with the new 40.0 remotes. They use RF communication so you can actually backup in a different room.

If you connect the satellite cable now, how long does it take to reboot and does it consistently reboot after a given time until the sat cable is removed again? What software version and hardware iD?

If I connect the cable, it re-boots after a couple of minutes and keeps doint it until I remove the cable. I am on software version 309 since April 16, but I had no problems until Tuesday morning I don't know the hardware id. Tuesday evening I called tech support, and Wednesday they shipped me a new unit. I will have it Monday. I have backed up my timers to the remote, and backed up all programming that I care about to the external drive, except a few programs on Primte Time Anytime, which will not copy to the hard drive.

I don't know if the keep time on the PTAT can be changed after recording but I would lower it to the minimum 2 days as
this might allow transfers sooner.
It might be a good idea to "protect" the PTAT recordings you have so they don't get trashed early.
You can check if they are "ready" to be transferred by clicking and selecting edit. The size will be 0 until ready.
I'm finding I want the least PTAT, 1 day of the week, 1 channel, to still get the AutoHop, untested.
I use regular timers for the big-4 elsewhere to allow same day EHD archiving.
-Ken

Just a FYI, not necessary with the new 40.0 remotes. They use RF communication so you can actually backup in a different room.

Understand that but I get more failures if I don't get closer to the Hopper and point the remote right at her for some reason. It works first time I try it if I am closer and point her at the Hopper. Maybe the batteries were a little weak when I tried the backup while further away from the Hopper in another room one time. Or old habbits die hard. LOL. Anyway, it sure works better than the 722 backup. It was really touchy.

I"m waiting on a hopper with sling upgrade, & was disappointed to find I couldn't move PTAT recordings from original hopper to my EHD. If the days to keep (PTAT) is changed from 8 to 2 (minimum) I can confirm you will be able to backup recordings sooner - I did have to reboot my hopper before I could do it. Too bad Dish doesn't remind customers it might be an issue when they update or replace receivers. I actually had to cancel an install (they were too efficient!) because I couldn't backup my recordings & I'm going to "install" it myself - there's not much to it.