Replacing 5 LNB whats my best option

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Izzy_Asper_Sucks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
I currently have an early generation 5 LNB on a slimline dish. My LNB is flakey and I need to replace it, what is my best option for replacement? A SWM SL5S, SL3S, same model 5 LNB? I am also thinking of upgrading one of my HR20's to the new HR24, I would still have an H20 and HR21, any difficulty mixing and matching the SWM LNB with the older recievers? Do i still need BBC's and 2 inputs to the HR21?

Thanks for your help.

Personally what you are going through I'd add the HR24 and call DirecTV to do a whole-home upgrade. You'll get a SWM LNB installed and DECAs at the receivers to network them and then you can share the DVR content in any room.

Depending on how long you've been a customer the whole home upgrade is usually $99. Adding an HR24 is usually $199, but they won't guarantee a model, it is whatever the tech has unless you buy it on your own.

If you end up just replacing the LNB get a cheap used one. The non-swm is around $25 and the SWM is around $30-40. Ebay or craigslist.

If you upgrade to SWM you remove the BBCs and can go one wire.

Personally what you are going through I'd add the HR24 and call DirecTV to do a whole-home upgrade. You'll get a SWM LNB installed and DECAs at the receivers to network them and then you can share the DVR content in any room.

Depending on how long you've been a customer the whole home upgrade is usually $99. Adding an HR24 is usually $199, but they won't guarantee a model, it is whatever the tech has unless you buy it on your own.

If you end up just replacing the LNB get a cheap used one. The non-swm is around $25 and the SWM is around $30-40. Ebay or craigslist.

If i go to the new SWM will the dish need to be re- aligned after it's installed? If i use the SWM on the HR21 I still need both inputs and BBCs right? With my existing cabling in place is there any advantage to the SL3S?

If i go to the new SWM will the dish need to be re- aligned after it's installed?

No

If i use the SWM on the HR21 I still need both inputs and BBCs right?

No, you ONLY use input 1 & you NEVER use BBC's on a SWM system on ANY receivers - as Jason already told you above... ;)

With my existing cabling in place is there any advantage to the SL3S?

If you ever want to add more receivers, either in the same room, or others, you only need 1 cable.
You'll also be ready for MRV &/or internet thru the coax.

As Jason also already told you, you really ought to let D* do the upgrade & you'll get everything taken care of... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)