Replacing 508 with a 211

paulzzz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 1, 2006
Maryland
I was wondering what problem(s) I may run into. I am replacing a duel tuner 508 Receiver with a single tuner 211 HD Receiver. Would I only need to hook one cable into the 211 to receive all the same channnels?

wait are you gonna do it ur self??
do u have the 129 installed??
do u have other HD receivers??

why dont you get a ViP612 i think its $25 right now, and they will send a tech out to install it!

wait are you gonna do it ur self??
do u have the 129 installed??
do u have other HD receivers??

why dont you get a ViP612 i think its $25 right now, and they will send a tech out to install it!
VIP211 with EHD has no monthly fee

Yes I am going to do it myself. I already have a 622 and a 722. Dish is going to send me a 211 free of charge, no strings attached and we have the Everything package so no DVR fees. I thought it was a duel tuner but Juan got me thinking that it is only a dvr. It is not the primary receiver; actually the third and I do not use it much. I am going to add another hd tv in that room and was curious of the cableing. The present receiver is a 508D according to my account on Dish's website. I am at work now but will check tonight. If it is single tuner then no problem and I will probably upgrade to EHD at some point if necessary.

I just replaced a 508 with a 211. Both are single tuners. The 508 has a UHF remote, the 211 only does infrared. The 211 of course has component, optical, and HDMI connections that the 508 does not.

Thanks Jp Thats what I needed to know. So should be an easy swap and activate.

Why is dish giving out free 211s for 508s? Did Dish contact you or you them?

damn if there handing out free 211 for 508 i wish i would of known grrrr. i kept my 508 active and turned off my 301 after i bought my 211 from one of this forums great sponsors.(id rather buy than lease, leasing adds up quick). oh well. Dish does want the 508s gone due to grandfathered free dvr.

Well I am thinking ... Loyalty does come with some benefits. I have been a Dish customer since 1998. I also subscribe to the Everything pkg plus some others. Monthly bill runs around $175. to $200/month. I have never had a late payment in those 10 years.
I e-mailed Dish concerning the 211 and probably should have asked for a better receiver after receiving such a quick answer, but am happy with the offer.
(They answered back within three hours).
Previously, when I was contacted to upgrade our 721 a few months ago, I also asked for a 722 as I was upgrading the TV in the bedroom. I had to be a bit persistent , but here again they capitulated. The 722 was delivered and installed free of charge.
No I am not rich!! Far from it. But, I do think that as I stated earlier, loyalty does have its benefits. My wife and I watch alot of different channels which leads me to pay for the Everything pkg. She contributes as much as I to the household income so no problem with her choices also.

paul u and me both been with dish since 98(maybe before) i believe they sent me a free offer to switch from primestar to dish(right before primestar went off air) and ive never looked back. ive loved dish and ill stick with them through thick and thin.(i just dont like to do the commitments thing but i might as well since im not changing to direct or cable yuck).

damn if there handing out free 211 for 508 i wish i would of known grrrr. i kept my 508 active and turned off my 301 after i bought my 211 from one of this forums great sponsors.(id rather buy than lease, leasing adds up quick). oh well. Dish does want the 508s gone due to grandfathered free dvr.

Actually, leasing does not add up quick - anymore. They'll charge you pretty much the same each month, they'll just change the name of the fee if you own your own.

The only benefit I see for owning is that you might get some residual value out of it if you ever resell it. But the hassle of having to repeatedly convince Dish that yours is owned and not leased may not make it worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)