Replacing Dead DirecTivO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

opus74

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
My mom has had a DirecTivo for many moons. It appears to be dead to the point that my troubleshooting shows it is the motherboard.

Replacing that is about $180.

As she is already paying the DVR fee every month, what would be the cost of her getting a DVR from Direct?

I know she will lose the "tivo" functionality, but I don't think that will be an issue vs. cost.

She has been a sub since '97.

Your thoughts appreciated....

Last edited:
Sadoun did have some SD tivos for around $50 when I looked the other day. I think it said they were the last of them or something like that. The website seems to be having problems right now though.

Last edited:
D* will almost certainly provide a new DVR at no cost. I might even suggest requesting an HD DVR just for the additional storage capacity. If the 2-year commitment is okay with her, that's an easy solution.

The problem with replacing the unit, whether it's with another DirecTivo or with D*'s new DVR is that she will have to commit for another two years.

As an alternative, you might be able to replace the MB with a used unit from ebay. I've seen complete DirecTivos selling for as little as $15 + shipping. I'm not sure if the MB is somehow linked to the access card, however.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts