Replacing Lamp on AE900U

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I've been using my AE900U a lot more than I thought I would as I love it and hopefully won't have to replace the bulb for quite a while but I got to thinking since I'm coming up on 600 hours of use. When It comes time to replace the bulb is it something I can do myself or is it something you have to send it off for? I read somewhere that it's reccomend to have a professional do it. I think it was in the manual or something. What is involved? Do most people do it them selves or have someone else do it? How much would it cost me to have someone else do it?

You can do it yourself. I have over 1600 hours on mine so I feel very lucky as I think they are supposed to last only 1000. I do have mine in "low intensity" mode to get longer life out of the bulb.

my bulb is on 2100 hrs now I have pulled the lamp out half a dozen times to shake it. The only problem is the plastic power plug retainer snapped off the first time I pulled it so It is in two bits now. that is not such a big problem as that happened at 500 hrs.

Yup, do it yourself. My first went BOOM at 700 hours. The second is at 1500 hrs and still going strong (knock on wood). Easy to do. Instructions in manual. Takes about 2 minutes.
Also, damn I love my projector!!

you might want to replace the bulb prior to failure for 2 reasons:
1. It can explode
2. light output is greatly reduced as the hours increase....something along the lines of 30% drop in light output at 70% of bulb life.

Regards

Gregg

Hey Gregg, sorry to hijack somewhat, but maybe on the same subject. A friend of mine has a 1.5 year old projector, a Sanyo PLV-Z series like I do. After about 2000 hours of perfection, he replaced the lamp, with a factory correct part. After about 100 hours on the new lamp, he began to see light purple, magenta lines at the very top and very bottom on the image. They begin to appear after 45m - 1hr of on time then go away after turning it off for a while and back on. Then the same happens again. Any ideas? Thanks.

hi
No ideas...sounds like bulb failure.??
What happens if he re installs the old lamp? If the problem is not evident then you have the diagnosis.

No idea there either as he discarded it. So he might need to shell out for yet another lamp or call a tech I guess. Someone via phone, not sure if it was Sanyo, said something may have dirt on the inside. Not sure if he said lens or what. But he performed the cleaning routine as per the manual.