reply from tech support on new l259 software!

BIGHEAVY

Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
below is email i sent

Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:10 PM
To: Tech Training
Subject: dvr 522

when is the new l259 software going to be sent out? would like to use my 600.00 pocketdish with the usb

below is response

Thank you for your email.

L2.59 has begun but the continued release was delayed due to the holidays.

It does offer XDS support but I think there may be some confusion with how it functions. XDS support is only on the analog connections and is a real time recording. It is basically like using your PocketDISH as a VCR and setting the timer on the receiver to tell it when to record and stop. It is not a file transfer method like USB. Additionally, the 522 has USB 1.0, not 2.0. USB 1.0 is much slower than 2.0 and is almost a real time transfer. The benefit of this is that where the XDS recording is happening while the event is on now, the USB 1.0 transfer is a recorded event that you transfer over night so it does not interrupt with current TV viewing.

I have not heard of when the 522 will receive USB support for the PocketDISH.

Thank you,

Training & Development Tech Web Team

EchoStar Satellite L.L.C.

tech.dishnetwork.com

well this just sucks as far as i am concerned:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

When you purchased the PocketDish, they clearly stated that it only worked with the 942 at this time.

thanks for the info kojac ! i know what it stated but if you followed all the threads it was said the new l259 software would work with it also. always love the people on forums who feel the need to reply for no reason . try and keep your meaningless replys to yourself.

What tech support says there does not make sense. At first they say it doesn't do anything via USB and then it says at the end, that a file transfer overnight will be done via USB to not to interrupt watching a program.. SO WHAT????
Is the damn USB now gonna be enabled or what???:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ralfyguy said:
Is the damn USB now gonna be enabled or what???
Evidently not the way we'd hoped.
BIGHEAVY said:
(Dish Tech Support)It does offer XDS support but I think there may be some confusion with how it functions. XDS support is only on the analog connections and is a real time recording. It is basically like using your PocketDISH as a VCR and setting the timer on the receiver to tell it when to record and stop.
I'm guessing the function of XDS is to enable the Pocket Dish to get a list of recordings (possibly via usb, ???) and then control the receiver (via usb, IR, ???) to cause it to play them while it's capturing in real time. The response from Dish is (perhaps purposefully) confusing and somewhat contradictory, especially:
BIGHEAVY said:
(Dish Tech Support)I have not heard of when the 522 will receive USB support for the PocketDISH.

It's like De Beers Diamonds advertising slogan: Diamonds...render HER speechless!
Why don't they just go ahead and SAY it: Diamonds...that'll shut her up!!!

Partial Phase my patooty

Has anyone recieved the L2.59 download yet????? The dish site says it was supposed to come out on the 28th, but I have yet to find a single instance of anyone getting it. I know that I try at least 3 times a day to no avail. If anyone on this planet has it, please put an end once an for all to the question of USB capabilites.

LEO

I'm trying several times a day too....it starts to get annoying. Since how many years they're saying to enable the USB port. Now the pocket dish is out and on ly a few subs can actually use it the way it was intended. If they're not gonna enable USB on receivers other than the 942, then they shouldn't be surprised that they're not selling more of those. Nobody really wants to use the composite outputs to transfer over shows, because the quality sucks. People want to use the USB port to do that, EVEN if it's slower on USB 1.0 than on USB 2.0 like the 942 has. Nobody cares about the speed being lower. People care more about the video quality that gets transferred!

Dish, get that dang thing working now! I won't buy a pocket dish, before that USB is working! FINISHED!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, your smarter than me. When they first came out, I called Dish and asked if they were compatible with the 522 and they assured me it was. Shelled out the $600 bucks and when I called them back they said sorry....its only sort of compatible. Now I have a $600 paperweight, that records analog with terrible quality. Besides the idea behind this damn thing is to move what I have recorded from my DVR onto the pocketdish, a process which under the current set up would require me to either (a) quit my job and stay home all day playing one event after another or (b) stay up all night and do it. Either way a pretty cr**py answer.

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying. The pocket dish without USB connection is absolutely useless IMHO. They should have explained it better to you, before you bought it. Not any different than going to a car stealership with one of those slick annoying sales dudes...I was thinking about getting one but not as long as they don't confirm USB connectivity. I'll try as soon as L259 comes out, if anything happens on the USB port. If not, than they can shove it!

ralfyguy said:
...If they're not gonna enable USB on receivers other than the 942, then they shouldn't be surprised that they're not selling more of those.

I think they'd be selling more if they'd offered some sort of price incentive to subs also. The prices they have listed at pocketdish.com are the same as Archo's msrp, and if memory serves you can't order one with a 100 gig drive either. I would think the Archos units would be the ultimate geek toy because they have a much larger screen than the iPod video and you can use them as general purpose external storage instead being forced to use iTunes. Unfortunately with the retail prices what they are it's no wonder they're about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit right now. :rolleyes:

I was really interested in getting the pocket dish when I first heard about.
The High speed transfers thru USB was the main selling point and when I found out USB transfers didn't work on my 522 I decided against getting one.
I currently have a Neuros 442 that records from composite jacks very well and costs less than $300
http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_442.asp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)