Report Card for HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HDjunkie

Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Ok HD picture quality is great using the supplied componet cables..will probably upgrade to DVI later...but what is up with the movie content onthe cinema channels. most of the movies the show are older than me...hereis my report card for HD channels:

Channel Grade

Cinema10. D...moives are to old, Rocky V was the best so far
Monsters C... needs Jason,Freddy,
Epics N/A.. have not watched yet
Wrlsprt B- becoming a soccer fan,needs cricket rugby internationa b-ball
Rush C... not really into extreme sports
Rave D... I'm sure someone out there likes that stuff
Ultra C.. I watch cuz of the pic quality
Treasure C... My wife likes it
Gallary C... not to bad
Moov F what the F... is this. maybe if I got high
Animania C...my 4 year old likes.. needs better selection of toons

I think thats it...Ok what do you voomers think

HDjunkie said:
Ok
Moov F what the F... is this. maybe if I got high

:D :D I have to laugh out loud about this one. Agree with your assessment that better content is needed for these 21 exclusives channels but they have improved.

Was wondering why i need to adjust the output setting to 1080i to enhance the Cinema10/Monsters and Epics channels in order to have a better picture. I discovered that if I leave it in native mode where the receiver adjust automatically to the incoming signal either 1080i, 720p or 480 the receiver goes into a format adjustment or a slight green glitch comes across the screen due to the receiver adjusting for the type of signal it is receiving. But if your watching say an HD 1080i channel like Rush or Rave or even HBO HD and go directly to the same 1080i channels I you don't get the format switch or green glitch coming across the screen due all these channels are already being received as 1080i, but when you tune to a Voom Cinema Movie Channel you see the format change or what I call a green wigly line or what ever that come cross the screen. I don't believe the receiver should be making any adjustment to other 1080i signals. It is only when the signal is changed from 1080i to 720p or 480 that we should see these adjustments. Of course if you keep the receiver alway in 1080i mode you dont' notice the change up format or the green swigly that comes across the screen because the receiver has everthing upconverted already to 1080i. Any information on this would be helpful cause I want to make sure I am getting what i pay for. And the sale of Voom is that their exclusive channels are all 1080i and that I shouldn't have to enhance their own 1080i signal that the reciever is already getting. Test this out and tell me if what I am stating is correct.

klmnoah said:
Was wondering why i need to adjust the output setting to 1080i to enhance the Cinema10/Monsters and Epics channels in order to have a better picture. I discovered that if I leave it in native mode where the receiver adjust automatically to the incoming signal either 1080i, 720p or 480 the receiver goes into a format adjustment or a slight green glitch comes across the screen due to the receiver adjusting for the type of signal it is receiving. But if your watching say an HD 1080i channel like Rush or Rave or even HBO HD and go directly to the same 1080i channels I you don't get the format switch or green glitch coming across the screen due all these channels are already being received as 1080i, but when you tune to a Voom Cinema Movie Channel you see the format change or what I call a green wigly line or what ever that come cross the screen. I don't believe the receiver should be making any adjustment to other 1080i signals. It is only when the signal is changed from 1080i to 720p or 480 that we should see these adjustments. Of course if you keep the receiver alway in 1080i mode you dont' notice the change up format or the green swigly that comes across the screen because the receiver has everthing upconverted already to 1080i. Any information on this would be helpful cause I want to make sure I am getting what i pay for. And the sale of Voom is that their exclusive channels are all 1080i and that I shouldn't have to enhance their own 1080i signal that the reciever is already getting. Test this out and tell me if what I am stating is correct.
My guess is that you are watching on a CRT or a rear projection CRT display. The 1080i signal will look better on your set. For us who have a newer Plasma/LCD/DLP display, the 720p signal will most likely look better.
For Voom receiver box stability, faster channel surfing etc, set the Voom box to the optimum for your display.

As Sean already reported from Wilt......the cinema channels are temporarily transmitting in 720 while they do some work for the next week or 2......just leave it in 1080i on the STB and you will be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)