Report: DirecTV may offer $30 “premium” VOD movies this summer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont think the 30.00 dollars is to crazy, if you have the family go to the movies its easily 30.00 or close to it.

I probably wont use it much, as I can wait to see it later for less, but I agree with satjay. The price is not outrageous when compared to the cost of a couple of tickets and snacks at your "local" theater. For me, the closest is a 45 minute drive, so add in time and gas, and if I really wanted to see a new movie coming out and did not feel like waiting this could be a valid option.

Very true msmith, I agree that as a option, may not be a bad thing

$30 is outrageous as most 60 Day movie's have hit your local $1 theater. The only way I'd pay $30 if it was released same day and that's the only time. I hate opening weekend theater crowds especially PG and PG-13 movies.

There are duplicate threads on this but:

Although I would not do this at all; remember it is $30 for the entire room of viewers not per person; so its really cheaper than you think when compared to seeing this at the theater. And for those with 65" or larger displays and great multi-channel surround; there really is a lot less hassle and overall $$ than going out with near NOTHING lost.

Family of 4:

1. Tix = $32 on the cheap side (already over the PPV of $30)
2. Food = Lets say $25 for 4 (yeah right)
3. Time/drive, parking, gas, crowds, risk of sell out, etc = Lets say $20

Total = $77 on the cheap side

How many times per month do you and the family go to movie night? With the savings you could go more often or just pocket the savings.

That $30 doesn't look too bad in comparison, but they need to shorten the window vs release to make this viable. The local theaters are fighting the same battle recording labels are; tech and the cost of that tech is catching them very fast and their model of sustainability is fading.

I dont think its a bad idea honestly.

Cheaper then taking the family out to the movies. And the floor is not sticky. :D

Although I would not do this at all; remember it is $30 for the entire room of viewers not per person; so its really cheaper than you think when compared to seeing this at the theater. And for those with 65" or larger displays and great multi-channel surround; there really is a lot less hassle and overall $$ than going out with near NOTHING lost.

Family of 4:

How many times per month do you and the family go to movie night? With the savings you could go more often or just pocket the savings.

That $30 doesn't look too bad in comparison, but they need to shorten the window vs release to make this viable. The local theaters are fighting the same battle recording labels are; tech and the cost of that tech is catching them very fast and their model of sustainability is fading.
if you are going to do a ridiculous comparison like that throw in heating, lights, furniture costs, the cost of the TV, speakers, audio reciever etc, D* equipment fees, D* subscription fees, electricity, stove power for the food and grocery costs at home on the other side as well as mortgage payment and insurance. 30 dollars is ABSURD.

V you know its not ridiculous.. But add car insurance, car payments, risk of dying in a car crash.. It is a valid BASIC cost comparison for the topic.

Mark this as yet another topic that will end up in the war zone.

if you are going to do a ridiculous comparison like that throw in heating, lights, furniture costs, the cost of the TV, speakers, audio reciever etc, D* equipment fees, D* subscription fees, electricity, stove power for the food and grocery costs at home on the other side as well as mortgage payment and insurance. 30 dollars is ABSURD.

Why would you throw in stuff that you already pay for whether you decide to use VOD with D* or go to the theater?
Nearly everything in that list you would have to add to the movie theater side as well if you wanted to take this line of reasoning to its conclusion.
So that said, I really dont see where you want to go with this.
About the only part that made good sense is you think $30 is too high, and I can understand that.

Family of 4:

Your ticket prices is way off though. 95% of movies aren't in first run theater's past 30 days let alone 60 days. Second run theater cost $2 at most per ticket. The rest though I can't argue with.

Your ticket prices is way off though. 95% of movies aren't in first run theater's past 30 days let alone 60 days. Second run theater cost $2 at most per ticket. The rest though I can't argue with.

If that is the case in the majority of markets, I would not think that the theater owners would be griping that much. But according to the link, they are.
To be honest, I dont even think we have a dollar theater in our area. If we do, I dont know where it is, but to be fair, I dont even go to the first run places that often, so there may be and I am just not aware of it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts