Requesting antenna recommendation

SoupMama

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 11, 2004
This has been asked before, many times, but I haven't seen an answer that helps me.

Basically, my zip code is 27587. I live exactly 2 miles due west of where Google maps places the marker for 27587. It is flat, but there are a lot of tall trees.

I have the Winegard Amplified Sensar that came with Voom. I can get all of the channels predicted by Antennaeweb with signal strengths >95, except Fox and NBC. I have spent several hours on a ladder, trying to position the antennae, but I have yet to find an arrangement that allows me to get BOTH channels to come in. Sometimes, just a shift of 1 degree causes one channel to sudden come in strong, and the other to fade. Sometimes, my position choice causes me to lose PBS 4.

I've tried mounting on the south side of the house and on the east side. I'd prefer not to mount it on the west side, as this is the front of the house.

Recently, I purchased the Radio Shack 15-1634 to see if an omindirectional antenna would help. That resulted in no improvement at all.
RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Outdoor: Low-Profile Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna
I've tried a few amplifiers and even a replacement power supply for the Sensar, with no success. I'm thinking I might just need an antenna optimized for my situation. Can anyone recommend the right antenna for me?

Those stations seem pretty spread out. The 4228 is great but is rather directional. Perhaps a smaller but less directional antenna is in order. Any thoughts anyone? I use a 4221 and get more stations than neighbors with the 4228 but it may not have the range you want.

To me it looks like everything is at about 190 degrees. 4228 will be excellent. One VHF digital 20+ miles away - 4228 should get it too.

Wow! Thanks.
Who makes the 4228? Winegard?

Should I get the pre-amp if I've got an old Voom STB with the diplexor?

Wow! Thanks.
Who makes the 4228? Winegard?

Should I get the pre-amp if I've got an old Voom STB with the diplexor?

If you need a preamp, it would be easy to add as that is what would be powered by the VOOM box.

Everyone recommends the CM7777 preamp, and I agree that it is a good preamp. However, in a deep fringe area such as the area we service, we have experienced better reception with a Winegard AP8275 preamp.

Last edited:
The signal map I pulled up indicated signals are coming from multiple locations. In fact different cities.

CM BTW is Channel master. I too would try a separate run for OTA and skip the diplexers. The CM 4228 is a gerat antenna. Because of its size the beam width is narrower than some other antennas. That is why i think something else may be better in this application.

Sounds like you may need a rotor on your antenna.

A pre-amp amplify's the single from your antenna. I installed a CM4228 without a pre-amp and it did very well but when I installed the CM7777 pre-amp I picked up about four new stations.

My next step is to add a rotor so I can pick up stations in NC. Richmond VA is north and NC is south so I need to turn the antenna.

I may pick up the same networks, but it is the challange that counts.

A rotor is fine if you you have one TV. If youa re feeding several TVs it vcan be problematic.

I use a 4228 without a preamp and it does fine with New Orleans Locals, and several of them are spread out direction-wise. I am about 20 miles from the transmitters, according to antennaweb. Heck MAKE yourself a couple antennas...I have a couple and they do a REAL good job for the cost of a little material.
Check out here:

Lumenlab -> DIY HDTV Antennas

Well that all depends on your market and how their VHF is done. I have seen great results with that antenna and VHF HIGH; VHF LOW is where you can run into needing another , or additional, antenna.

So much to learn...
According to antennaweb, I'll be golden until next February, when CBS 11 will switch to VHF.

I have an HD channel on VHF channel 11, and my 4228 does a great job with it. I don't know how low it would have to be for the 4228 to be ineffective....:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts