Response from E* on TBS HD

Do you really want to see guys scratch their b@lls and spit tobacco in HD?:D

Hmmm, you might bitch that TBS HD will be stretch-o-vision but the NBA Playoffs on TNT-HD looked damn good. I am sure they would do the same with the Baseball playoffs.

Actually I was thinking about the other 99.999% of programming throughout the year. :D

NightRyder

My point is not that Dish stood up to the big bully Comcast to heroically acquire CSN Chicago HD rights, but rather that they have responded (however late in the game) to subscribers' desire to add CSN Chicago HD to their channel lineup. Comcast may not be the sole owner of the network, but which of those "20% owners" do you think is in charge of business operations, including negotiations for broadcast rights?

Was it Charlie responding to his subscribers desire or listening to them as the were cancelling subscriptions because he wasn't carrying the channel? As you said he responded late to the game, maybe it was D*s impenting hd rollout that finally got his butt in gear and added the channel.

BINGO!!!! :mad:

Isn't baseball the people's game? It should be on network TV.

The networks aren't looking to add programming with ratings that continue to decline each year. Their ratings are in decline as it is from year to year with the garbage programming they (networks) pump out season to season. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't baseball's ratings declining steeply every year? I have read several things over the last few years discussing the decline in fans of America's pastime. The networks have enough trouble keeping viewers. Baseball should be PPV or in sports tiers so the rest of us don't subsidize it through our cable and satellite subscriptions. Putting the games on network TV assumes the masses actually care about it.

The networks aren't looking to add programming with ratings that continue to decline each year. Their ratings are in decline as it is from year to year with the garbage programming they (networks) pump out season to season. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't baseball's ratings declining steeply every year? I have read several things over the last few years discussing the decline in fans of America's pastime. The networks have enough trouble keeping viewers. Baseball should be PPV or in sports tiers so the rest of us don't subsidize it through our cable and satellite subscriptions. Putting the games on network TV assumes the masses actually care about it.

Aren't all sports (except Nascar) declining in ratings? I can't understand how much freaking Golf is on Network tv. And I like golf!

What's next - the Superbowl on HBO?

I am not surprised the "masses" don't care, they can't afford to care anymore.

Aren't all sports (except Nascar) declining in ratings? I can't understand how much freaking Golf is on Network tv. And I like golf!

What's next - the Superbowl on HBO?

I am not surprised the "masses" don't care, they can't afford to care anymore.

I think baseball and the NBA are declining rapidly.

NFL is still hot and I believe NHL is more popular than ever in the US.

Baseball is a regional sports. The NFL is a national sport. The Ratings on the RSN are increible when it comes to baseball (at least here in NY). Also, baseball is 162 games per seasonl; you can;t put 162 games in a national level. The NFL is only 16 games which can be easily put in a national level. Two different sports with two different audience to target through the tube. In attendance Baseball is having the best years.

I hate to say it but my local Comcast is late at getting everything and we just had TBS HD turned on. This one time I am glad I am not with Dish/DirectTV.... But only this time :p

I hate to say it but my local Comcast is late at getting everything and we just had TBS HD turned on. This one time I am glad I am not with Dish/DirectTV.... But only this time :p

Why do you say you're glad you're not with DirecTV we got TBS-HD last Wednesday?

I think baseball and the NBA are declining rapidly.

NFL is still hot and I believe NHL is more popular than ever in the US.

In a universe of off, you're at the edge of it.

Last year's Stanley Cup is responsible for the lowest network rating in prime time in the entire history of American television. The NHL couldn't be less popular in US America than it is today.

How embarrassing for Dish. Lets see the Rockies play in Denver, Dish HQ are in Denver, but to get the Rockies game in HD I have to have DirecTv. And Charlie says Dish is the HD LEADER! LOL

Thought this was interesting.....

From EngadgetHD......
TBS HD carriage deals, have to be some kind of record - Engadget HD

"Most of us have been watching HD for some time, so we've seen our fair share of HD channel launches, and while there are more channels than ever before, TBS HD's ability to get carriage deals has to be some kind of record. If you've been following the site for the past week, then you've noticed that we've had at least one post a week -- maybe more -- about TBS HD getting adding to some provider. And it seems Dish is the only one not carrying the channel at this point when just about everyone else is. We wish all channels were this good at getting out there, -- especially HD capable channels that don't stretch their content -- but we'd really love to know how they did it. Sure MLB baseball playoffs in HD are a pretty big draw, but somehow we doubt that's what it took to get the deal done at the same time and with so many providers."

Thought this was interesting.....

From EngadgetHD......
TBS HD carriage deals, have to be some kind of record - Engadget HD

"Most of us have been watching HD for some time, so we've seen our fair share of HD channel launches, and while there are more channels than ever before, TBS HD's ability to get carriage deals has to be some kind of record. If you've been following the site for the past week, then you've noticed that we've had at least one post a week -- maybe more -- about TBS HD getting adding to some provider. And it seems Dish is the only one not carrying the channel at this point when just about everyone else is. We wish all channels were this good at getting out there, -- especially HD capable channels that don't stretch their content -- but we'd really love to know how they did it. Sure MLB baseball playoffs in HD are a pretty big draw, but somehow we doubt that's what it took to get the deal done at the same time and with so many providers."

We FiOS subs are out in the cold with the E* people on TBSHD as well. Anyone want to start a fire to keep warm?

Cox Cable San Diego got TBS HD turned on a couple of hours ago. Now the Padres just have to win for there to be a point here in San Diego.

By the way, The Padres have been Exclusively on Cox Cable for more than 10 years, the last four in HD.

Last edited:
How embarrassing for Dish. Lets see the Rockies play in Denver, Dish HQ are in Denver, but to get the Rockies game in HD I have to have DirecTv. And Charlie says Dish is the HD LEADER! LOL

Not to mention that I've seen several Dish logos around Coors field in HD on my D* setup tonight :D

Seroiusly though, E* should have had this done in time for the playoffs. I would predict they may launch Wednesday to start the playoffs. If they don't - it will be a long SD postseason for baseball fans on E*.

I understand the consternation of those of you who want to see the playoffs in all of its HD glory as I am always irritated when I don't get to see my favorite CFB team in HD.

Having said that, I'm only irritated that TBS HD isn't on Dish yet for the sole reason that I can't wait to see all of my favorite Seinfeld, Friends, Raymond, etc. reruns in upconverted stretch-o-vision. And I'm not saying that in a satirical sense. Any local reruns of my favorite sit-coms are always in 4:3 and I get the annoying black sidebars to watch during the whole show.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to me, all-digital upconverted stretch-o-vision is better than cable any day of the week.

But I digress...I'll let you guys talk more about the playoffs.

Baseball is a regional sports. The NFL is a national sport. The Ratings on the RSN are increible when it comes to baseball (at least here in NY). Also, baseball is 162 games per seasonl; you can;t put 162 games in a national level. The NFL is only 16 games which can be easily put in a national level. Two different sports with two different audience to target through the tube. In attendance Baseball is having the best years.

I thought baseball had 80+ games per year per team. Shows what I know or care about. Sure it is regional in the sense of media coverage. Nobody here in FL cares about the California teams and vice versa, but it is nationally watched by its true fans during playoffs. Football is highly regional too, as there are only a few nationally covered games per week compared to the "regional action."

Either way, the NFL makes more off the media with its few games than the MLB does off its hundreds of games.

In a universe of off, you're at the edge of it.

Last year's Stanley Cup is responsible for the lowest network rating in prime time in the entire history of American television. The NHL couldn't be less popular in US America than it is today.

It's huge here in Lightning country. I would say ratings depend on the teams involved. I was referring to the overall season of NHL coverage, game attendants, etc, not just playoffs.

Any local reruns of my favorite sit-coms are always in 4:3 and I get the annoying black sidebars to watch during the whole show.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to me, all-digital upconverted stretch-o-vision is better than cable any day of the week.

That makes one of you. Most TV sets and STB's allow you to stretch content so you should be able to get rid of the sidebars yourself.

That makes one of you. Most TV sets and STB's allow you to stretch content so you should be able to get rid of the sidebars yourself.

Actually, I'm sure there's more than one of me. I have my box setup to stretch the signal, but in the software of the box and the TV, the signal is already "stretched" when viewing an HD broadcast. I do have the ability to zoom-in on an HD feed, but there is no way to stretch an HD signal that is broadcasting a 4:3 SD source in 16:9 that already has the sidebars added. The source coming into the TV or the box must be 4:3 in order for it to be stretched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)