Response from E* on TBS HD

I'd kill for Comedy Central in HD. One might think this implies I would also switch to D*, but even a potential murderer has to have standards. :)

Seriously, I expect E* to carry both SciFi and CC in HD in the near future. If not, I'll eventually jump ship. I'd love it if they'd dump TNT HD and A&E HD to make room for real HD channels too.

I guess if it were me, I'd go watch the game at a bar or a friends house and get a channel I actually want at home.

Then you have to be talking about VOOM - because there really aren't too many HD channels besides VOOM that are not now (or won't be within a week) on DirecTV.

Here is a hypothetical. If you had to choose between TBS HD, with the HD playoffs and years of stretchovision, or something like SciFi HD, with a mix of up-converted and true HD, what would you pick?

Go ask a thousand people. I would be very very very surprised if more people chose Sci-Fi. Did I forget to say I would be very surprised?

So if Echostar went with Sci Fi over TBS (as much as I would prefer Sci-Fi, to answer your question) it would be a very poor business decision.

It's quite possible that TBS wanted E* to take the whole channel and not just the games too...

I expect that it is just the opposite. TBS wanted a bundle to carry the channel and was using the playoffs for leverage. Charlie the poker player calls, believing the price will go down significantly if he waits until after the playoffs are over.

Go ask a thousand people. I would be very very very surprised if more people chose Sci-Fi. Did I forget to say I would be very surprised?

So if Echostar went with Sci Fi over TBS (as much as I would prefer Sci-Fi, to answer your question) it would be a very poor business decision.

With the exception of the playoffs, I bet E* gets far more requests for SciFi HD than TBS HD. Look at these forums. Before the playoffs, there was a constant string of posts about SciFi HD. People have been asking for it for years. I don't recall a single post asking when TBS was going HD.

With the exception of the playoffs, I bet E* gets far more requests for SciFi HD than TBS HD. Look at these forums.

Based on these forums I suspect you would be right. However there arent too many Joe Schmoes here. And based on the internal poll in my house TBS wins. I was in the minority :D

Based on these forums I suspect you would be right. However there arent too many Joe Schmoes here. And based on the internal poll in my house TBS wins. I was in the minority :D

I'll put a different way. There may be more people who actually watch TBS, but people who watch SciFi are more likely to be vocal about a desire for an HD version and more likely to choose a provider based on them having the channel they prefer.

I'll put a different way. There may be more people who actually watch TBS, but people who watch SciFi are more likely to be vocal about a desire for an HD version and more likely to choose a provider based on them having the channel they prefer.
Based on current statistics about the number of HDTV owners who think they are already looking at HD simply because they have an HDTV, I don't think you can know who wants what except for polls of people here on this forum.

This is why TNT-HD gets away with stretch-o-vision; people are already stretching their channels to fill their whole screen so they don't know any different.

We might as well be a Who on a dust speck in the story Horton Hears a Who for all the difference we make here!

When did TBS HD become available?

I was in a business trip, and turned the TV last night and was happy to see the channel in HD.

TBS at last for the playoffs! Way to go Charlie. Don't care what happens to it after the playoffs. I don't go for chopped up movies with commercials inserted and consequently never watch TNT unless sports are on. But thanks for now.

Better late then never. I still wish Dish would atleast get the channel called, Logo. But they still have not. Atleast you people can watch the end of the World series in HD. I have to go online and watch it via the web for the channel I would like to see.

Don't you mean you couldn't care less? :)

Off Topic:

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage.
A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English. 1996.

3. Word Choice: New Uses, Common Confusion, and Constraints

§ 78. could care less / couldn’t care less

I could care less! you might say sometime in disgust. You might just as easily have said I couldn’t care less and meant the same thing! How can this be? When taken literally, the phrase I could care less means “I care more than I might,” rather than “I don’t care at all.” But the beauty of sarcasm is that it can turn meanings on their head, thus allowing could care less to work as an equivalent for couldn’t care less. Because of its sarcasm, could care less is more informal than its negative counterpart and may be open to misinterpretation when used in writing.
§ 78. could care less / couldn?t care less. 3. Word Choice. The American Heritage Book of English Usage. 1996