Resume recordings on the Hopper?

denisincalif

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 1, 2007
Arcadia, CA
I just got the Hopper installed yesterday. There are lots of things I like and lots that are going to take getting used to. So far the most disturbing thing is that I cannot resume partially watched recordings. The only choices I am given are "delete", "start over", or "live TV". Why would I go to the trouble of going through the DVR menus to watch live TV? And what happened to "resume"? The Hopper manual says that "resume" is there, but I don't see it. On my old 622 I could resume as long as the show was not still being recorded. But on my Hopper the recordings I am trying to resume were long since completed. If resume is really missing that would be a horrible non-feature of the Hopper. Am I missing something?

When you highlight the program tile of a partially watched completed recording you will see that pressing the play button will resume.

When you highlight the program tile of a partially watched completed recording you will see that pressing the play button will resume.
Not on my system.

When I press the play button it goes to the beginning of the recording. When I press "Select" I get a menu offering me the choices of starting over, deleting, or going to live TV. There seems to be no way I can resume a partially watched recording. This really stinks. And it works the same on both my Hopper and the Joey.

denisincalif said:
Not on my system.

When I press the play button it goes to the beginning of the recording. When I press "Select" I get a menu offering me the choices of starting over, deleting, or going to live TV. There seems to be no way I can resume a partially watched recording. This really stinks. And it works the same on both my Hopper and the Joey.

Yes has been discussed a lot, resume function only shows up on recordings that aren't currently in progress.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Yes has been discussed a lot, resume function only shows up on recordings that aren't currently in progress.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys
No different than with the VIPs. Always drove me nuts when recording a football game.

Not on my system.

I think I may have remembered wrong. I now believe that the recording that is giving me trouble had actually been watched to completion. I have two recordings in progress and I am going out. Tomorrow I will test the "resume" feature again on them.

By the way, if "resume" works on completed recordings, as I now believe it does, I still have to ask---why must the recording have to be completed before resume works? I know this requirement is not new---my 622 wouldn't resume an incomplete recording either. But this requirement is a major inconvenience for me. I often start watching a recording half an hour after it started so I can skip through commercials. It would sure be nice to be able to switch to a live show briefly and then come back into the partially watched show even if its recording is still going on.

Yes, I also agree that this is an annoying lack of feature with Dish DVR's. Dish has got to write software that doesn't violate patents, so considering the number of years this one annoying thins has existed (not being able to have RESUME while programs are currently being recorded), it is probably very challenging and can't be done without a great risk of patent violations. I believe TiVo can RESUME during a recording in progress, so Dish may have avoided this feature. However, Dish did get relevant patents for "Time Warp" as well as other TiVo patened technology, so may be they have rights to the RESUME during recording feature. It is interesting that Dish now has a deleted recordings RESTORE feature after having settled with TiVo and obtaining rights to other TiVo patents in additions to "Time Warp." Coincidence? It reminds me of when Dish settled with Gemstar/TV Guide and got lifetime rights to TV Guide "technology," and then some months later I noticed a much more robust search feature. Charlie did say on a Charlie Chat (years ago) soon after the settlement that they were going to implement the TV Guide patents/technology they had rights to very soon. My guess is the Deleted Recordings folder Restore is a TiVo patent technology. So, let's hope Dish has rights to the RESUME during recording feature because that is the only way I see it ever coming to Dish.

And TiVo was given rights to certain Echostar/Dish patents/technology, as part of the settlement.

Yes, I also agree that this is an annoying lack of feature with Dish DVR's. Dish has got to write software that doesn't violate patents, so considering the number of years this one annoying thins has existed (not being able to have RESUME while programs are currently being recorded), it is probably very challenging and can't be done without a great risk of patent violations. I believe TiVo can RESUME during a recording in progress, so Dish may have avoided this feature. However, Dish did get relevant patents for "Time Warp" as well as other TiVo patened technology, so may be they have rights to the RESUME during recording feature. It is interesting that Dish now has a deleted recordings RESTORE feature after having settled with TiVo and obtaining rights to other TiVo patents in additions to "Time Warp." Coincidence? It reminds me of when Dish settled with Gemstar/TV Guide and got lifetime rights to TV Guide "technology," and then some months later I noticed a much more robust search feature. Charlie did say on a Charlie Chat (years ago) soon after the settlement that they were going to implement the TV Guide patents/technology they had rights to very soon. My guess is the Deleted Recordings folder Restore is a TiVo patent technology. So, let's hope Dish has rights to the RESUME during recording feature because that is the only way I see it ever coming to Dish.

And TiVo was given rights to certain Echostar/Dish patents/technology, as part of the settlement.
Very interesting. I hope you are right, and that we will see "resume" while still in progress someday.

Sadly, "resume" really doesn't work on my system

I have now shown beyond a doubt that there is something wrong with my Hopper. This past Friday and Saturday I recorded two football games. On Sunday, long after they were finished recording, I did the following separately for all three recordings.
  1. I watched about half an hour of the game, and then went to Live TV
  2. I hit the DVR button and saw the three tiles for the games.
  3. I clicked on one of the three tiles
  4. I then hit cancel enough times to get completely out of the DVR display.
  5. I then repeated steps 2 through 4 numerous times.
The result was that for two of the games I was NEVER offered the option of resuming. My only choices were "delete" and "start over". For one of the games, on two separate occasions, the word "resume" appeared inside the tile. When that happened, clicking "play" picked up the game where I had left off, exactly as "resume" is supposed to do. But that only happened twice. For the other 10 or so times I hit the DVR button "resume" did not appear for that game either.

I guess the first step is to reboot my Hopper and see if that fixes the problem. When I do that, what should I do with the Joey? Do I just make sure it is powered off using its remote? Or do I need to physically unplug the Joey and/or disconnect the MOCA coax until the hopper is back up? And do I need to disconnect my EHD while rebooting the Hopper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts