Resurect Old C Band BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lviperz

Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Indiana
I have an old 4DTV system with a 10 foot dish. It's old enough that the 922 receiver is dead and the internal battery died. So basically it's only value is parts. So since that big ole dish is still sitting in my backyard I thought I would venture in to the world of FTA. But I have no clue as to what receiver to get.

I do believe my current lnb, which I have no idea if it's still working, is just c-band, I figured if I had to replace it I would get one with Ku as well. So to start things off I figured I would get a receiver and see what still works.

I also assume the receiver needs to have a dish mover in it as the old 4DTV receiver has lost it's maps and I didn't really want to complicate things using one receiver to move the dish and another for viewing.

I've seen a few receivers mentioned here but as I said already, I have no clue what I need. It's been a long time since I ever used my old system I'm way out of the loop. I just remember the days surfing the satellites and seeing crazy feeds. Kept me entertained for hours and would like to get back in to it.

:welcome to the forum Iviperz
There is a lot to do with that BUD in the back yard :) Here are some of our favorite channels http://ftalistings.com/
There are so many FTA receivers out there and new ones coming all the time. You will want one that is DVBS2. I use a GeoSatPro microhd and an Amiko Mini HD SE. Both of these units have a great track record but are no longer being produced. New models ones in the pipe :) but you can still buy these at various places.

Thanks for the reply magic static.

All I remember from way back is Skyvision for some fta stuff. They have a receiver for about $150 called the manhattan. I have no clue as to where else to shop. I know ebay and amazon is a good start hence the request for receiver ideas. I'll search around for the 2 you mentioned and see what I can find. Any recommendations of places to shop?

Welcome to the forum!, you will find a lot of very good folks here to help with your project, most have been into the FTA hobby for some time. Post up some pictures of your BUD when you can, would like to see your set-up.

Thanks for the reply magic static.

All I remember from way back is Skyvision for some fta stuff. They have a receiver for about $150 called the manhattan. I have no clue as to where else to shop. I know ebay and amazon is a good start hence the request for receiver ideas. I'll search around for the 2 you mentioned and see what I can find. Any recommendations of places to shop?
There are several dealers that great to deal with and frequently offer assistance on this site and others. A lot of them have eBay stores too. A few of the recent purchases I've made are from gotcband.com (WallyHTS on this board), Michael Electronics eBay store(ke4est on this board) Titaniumsatellite.com (Titanium on this board) There are many others too :)

Reactions: KE4EST
Some other places to shop
gotcband.com -wallyhts ; Ke4est ; www.Titaniumsatelllite.com (all active members here)
another I've used: www.hypermegasat.com
Cream of the crop dish mover: titanium satellite ASC1 (will also run your LNB/feedhorn)
or their PLL LNBF w/WiMax filter ( No moving parts! )
I'm partial to a separate Ku dish, (I mounted one to the BUD for 'motoring')
as the combo C-Ku LNBF's are too much a compromise IMHO. And no longer being produced. (some experimentation currently being carried out by some members of the forum)
A good deal on a very good Ku dish W/LNBF from SatelliteAV (also an active member)
Amiko, Manhattan, GeosatPro, all good receivers. All have new receivers being 'ironed out' currently, But their last models are solid.
Yeah, I type slow, Magic beat me to some. 'bout the only thing more is my IMHO's.
FWIW: C band Rocks!

Regardless of which FTA box you get,you will still need something to move the dish and control polarity,assuming you're using a polarotor.Either an ASC1,Vbox,an old analog sat receiver,or you can make the 922 work,at least as a dish mover,by putting a new battery in it.As you've already lost the ID it's relatively easy,just cut the old battery out and solder in a new one.

As I mentioned, I currently have a c-band lnb. There is a second cable to add a ku lnb. The receivers only show 1 cable connection. Do I need some sort of combiner if I add ku? Or would I need to get a c-band/ku combined lnb?

Regardless of which FTA box you get,you will still need something to move the dish and control polarity,assuming you're using a polarotor.Either an ASC1,Vbox,an old analog sat receiver,or you can make the 922 work,at least as a dish mover,by putting a new battery in it.As you've already lost the ID it's relatively easy,just cut the old battery out and solder in a new one.

I'm assuming my old 4DTV receiver is dead. I haven't plugged it in and powered it up in quite a few years. So I guess if I'm going to need a way to move the dish I can plug it up and see where it stands. Guess at worse it's going to just be a dish mover but without the sat maps, how do I know where to move it?Would I be better served with a new dish mover?

Not much in the way of C/Ku LNBFs out there but would be cheaper than a Corotor feed horn. But to combine the C and Ku most folks use a 22khz tone switch. Here is a picture of a Corotor and switch ready to install
CorotorII 002.JPG

I'm assuming my old 4DTV receiver is dead. I haven't plugged it in and powered it up in quite a few years. So I guess if I'm going to need a way to move the dish I can plug it up and see where it stands. Guess at worse it's going to just be a dish mover but without the sat maps, how do I know where to move it?Would I be better served with a new dish mover?
Not much in the way of choices for a dish mover. But there is one that can do it all and built to last. But you pay the price Titanium's ASC1. My first choice right now. A lot of folks will recommend the VBox 7 for a 6th of the price. No matter your decision "you get what you pay for" ;)

Even if it's defaulted to the factory maps,using both the C and Ku tiles would probably get you enough positions to keep you happy,for awhile anyway.The names would be wrong but they've all long since changed anyway.You can program any tile to any position you want.
Plug it in,let it go thru it's warm up and see what you get.The battery may still be good and the ID and whatever maps were in it when you last used it may still be there.

If I'm understanding so far, regardless of which receiver I get, I still need a dish mover. If I do use my old 4dtv receiver I'm assuming I need to move the dish manually with the 4dtv and then go back to the fta receiver to view what is on the satellite I'm currently on. But if I was to get say the asc1 I can use the fta receiver to move the dish? is that correct? What about the vbox movers?

The dish movers are DiSEqC controlled with commands from the receiver via the coax The VBox can store 99 satellite positions in memory and move the dish to each of those positions when commanded by the receiver. The ASC1 also provides customized control for the polarotor motor that is on your feedhorn now. It also controls LNB voltage giving you the option to run modern voltage controlled LNBFs and old school LNBs on the Corotor for instance. The ASC1 can be adapted to Optical and hall effect sensors too. The ASC1 has other features not found on other DiSEqC Control Boxes as well.

Thanks Magic. It seems things are adding up fast. Mostly because I don't like to start something without understanding limits. Seems like the ASC1 is the best option for what I currently have and for any near future options.

I guess my first step will be to fire up the old 4dtv receiver and see if it's dead. If not, at the very least I can then test the dish motor and lnb.

Reactions: Magic Static
Welcome Iviperz!

The total cost of a new receiver and controller is probably about the same as you paid only for the feedhorn and LNB cost 15-20 years ago... :D

Before attempting to move the dish, open the actuator housing and inspect for rust and corrosion. Wipe down the arm, and lube the arm, gears and the mount with a quality water resistant grease. Connect a 12 volt battery or charger to the actuator motor leads to test out the mechanicals. Reversing the lead will reverse the direction of travel.

You probably will be happier if you added a separate 90cm or 1.2M motorized dish for KU reception. If your BUD dish is KU compliant, the beam width on a 10 foot dish is extremely narrow and not only will the tracking need to be exact, but the mechanicals and wind loading often make KU reception challenging on a larger dish. I would first start out by reactivating your C-band dish as most English programming is on this band. If you wish to add KU at a later date, purchase a separate 90cm/PLL LNBF conbo on Ebay and a motor for about $150 - $175.

Good luck! We are here to help!

Thanks for the tips Titanium. I was actually thinking of using a 12 volt battery to test the actuator but figured I would do that if I discovered my old receiver is dead. Guess after reading your tips I'll do that first.

I'll probably not get a chance to look at things till this weekend if I finish my honey-do list in time. (grin)

Reactions: Titanium
Then darn Honey's always be gettin' in the way of fun!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)