Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just watching todays retailer chat.

Some bad news for those of you in a northern state Such as Maine, Washington, or someone far south such as Florida) who wants a SuperDISH.

They just said that the 105 footprint is not enough to reach those states, and they do not recommend a SuperDISH for those states because the signal to those states is so low.

They say that in a year a new satellite will go up and the footprint will be better.

They said all NEW HD programming will still go to 105, however all existing HD programming will stay where its at until the time the new satellite goes up.

I am starting to wonder why they didnt put HD at 121 and make 105 the international satellite.

322's are now available in DHP ONLY.

The 522 will be available next week again for DHP only.

The 811 will be available (according to the graphic) on December 1st)

Possibily internations are more popular, or bring in more money than HD content does. I know many ppl who's sole decision to go with dish was because of the internationals.

On the 322 / 522 if you own one and its an extra outlet receiver you will be charged an additional outlet fee of $4.99.

If you dont plug in the phone line to the 322/522 they will charge you an ADDITIONAL $4.99 fee for the second tuner.

811 & 921 will be on December 1st, although some chipset problems may delay things with the 921. (Chipset problems this far in the game???)

721 will be phased out next year, and will be replaced by the 522 (Although the retail 522 may be called the 532)

The 721 will no longer be available after the 2nd quarter of next year.

I heard he mentioned th $99 deal again for the 6000 but didn't go into details. Is that true? Does anyone have any information on the $99 deal?

Scott Greczkowski said:

Some bad news for those of you in a northern state Such as Maine, Washington, or someone far south such as Florida) who wants a SuperDISH.

They just said that the 105 footprint is not enough to reach those states, and they do not recommend a SuperDISH for those states because the signal to those states is so low.

They say that in a year a new satellite will go up and the footprint will be better.

They said all NEW HD programming will still go to 105, however all existing HD programming will stay where its at until the time the new satellite goes up.

I am starting to wonder why they didnt put HD at 121 and make 105 the international satellite.

So another way to say this is that any of us in those states that want HD will need to switch to D* or Cable (of course we can always stay and get the 4 channels they currently provide)...

Scott, since 12/1 for the 811/921 is before the next Charlie Chat, was any mention made of pricing, especially for existing customers? Thanks for the update. RAD

You can get a second Dish for HBO and Showtime which will remain at 148 and 61.5 until the new bird is up at 105.

BTW Hartford Locals were announced on the Chat, but no date given. (I am still hearing December 5th)

Scott Greczkowski said:

Any word on what & when for new HD channels???

When do they plan on sending up another satellite??

Robert

baloo75 said:
Scott Greczkowski said:

So another way to say this is that any of us in those states that want HD will need to switch to D* or Cable (of course we can always stay and get the 4 channels they currently provide)...
Not in any way.

All you have to do is get a wing dish for either 61.5º or 148º and use your Dish500 for the other HDs. Read it again. "all existing HD programming will stay where its at until the time the new satellite goes up". After that point you will have a signal that will reach the north and south and SuperDish will become a viable option.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are so panicked over SuperDish. You'll get it when you need it and E* will do everything in their power to get programming to you on existing satellites before they give you the new dish.

Sheesh.

JL

AppliedAggression said:
Possibily internations are more popular, or bring in more money than HD content does. I know many ppl who's sole decision to go with dish was because of the internationals.

You also have a large Asian population in NW Washington State and a large Hispanic population in southern FL!

All you have to do is get a wing dish for either 61.5º or 148º and use your Dish500

Will dish provide this for free so I can watch SHOW and HBO HD ?

Can't they still add more HD on 110???

On 110, TP 7 is HDNet and HDNet Movies, TP17 has Discovery HD and ESPN HD. Now we've been told that 8PSK allows for 3 HD channels per transponder, so isn't there room on 110 to add lets say StarzHD and CinemaxHD or bring back the PPV-HD channel (for example)??? If yes, what do you think the hold up is, especially since CinemaxHD is up now? Wouldn't this be a way for Charlie to offer something that D* isn't/can't at this time? Maybe this would help keep/get some customers.

All you have to do is get a wing dish for either 61.5º or 148º and use your Dish500 for the other HDs. Read it again. "all existing HD programming will stay where its at until the time the new satellite goes up". After that point you will have a signal that will reach the north and south and SuperDish will become a viable option.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are so panicked over SuperDish. You'll get it when you need it and E* will do everything in their power to get programming to you on existing satellites before they give you the new dish.

Sheesh.

JL

Yes, BUT, all NEW HD programming will only be on SuperDish... to go a whole year without taking advantage of new HD channels --that you are already paying for with HD pak!-- is a lonnnnggggg wait!

justalurker said:
baloo75 said:
Scott Greczkowski said:

Not in any way.

Sheesh.

JL

This is the statement that bugs me,

"They said all NEW HD programming will still go to 105, however all existing HD programming will stay where its at until the time the new satellite goes up."

That says to me that unless I can utilize a superdish I can NOT receive any HD channels that they will hopefully add over the next year, I know I can receive the 4 channels they currently offer. I don't know any other way to interpret it.

While we are on the subject, I have already decided I am waiting for the HD-TIVO and switching to D*, this choice is mainly because of the superdish, it is to big for my situation. My situation is that the only way I can get line of sight is by mounting on my house. We have strong winds in my area and a big dish is just not an option. D* seems to of come up with a solution that gives me a dish as small as 16x24 to receive HD. I feel that is a much more customer focused solution. I have and continue to like E* but I don't have much choice.

Scott Greczkowski said:
811 & 921 will be on December 1st, although some chipset problems may delay things with the 921. (Chipset problems this far in the game???)

I don't buy it... if that was the case it would have been a perfect opportunity for Charlie to put the blame on the suppliers during the Charlie Chat. I'm sure it is software problems...

dmodemd said:
Yes, BUT, all NEW HD programming will only be on SuperDish...
Says who? Do you really think that E* is that stupid? (D* subs that exist to bash E* need not reply.) Put out new channels but make them unavailable to any portion of CONUS?

Not having 105º will probably slow down reaching 50 ... but there is space at 61.5º and especially 148º to keep up with the major additions. We probably won't see a ABCHD, NBCHD, PBSHD, or others until 105º is replaced. But it would be foolish to rule out any new HDs being placed on existing DSS birds.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)