Retailer Chat Oct. 16th

The only way for Dish to keep cost down is to get rid of channels and we all know how customers handle that. Like everything else in our lives, the cost of living keeps increasing. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep prices low besides going to a la carte?
Maybe now is the time for DISH to renegotiate it's programming. If memory serves me right when DISH started they had a $19.99/MO. price I think it was called AT40. Well that package probably can't be duplicated because of current programming packages interlinked requirements, but what can be negotiated today? I am not saying eliminate the current packages but instead add choices, The current Welcome Pack has the right price but can valuable channels be added through negotiating with programmers?

Maybe now is the time for DISH to renegotiate it's programming. If memory serves me right when DISH started they had a $19.99/MO. price I think it was called AT40. Well that package probably can't be duplicated because of current programming packages interlinked requirements, but what can be negotiated today? I am not saying eliminate the current packages but instead add choices, The current Welcome Pack has the right price but can valuable channels be added through negotiating with programmers?

I've been saying this for a few years now. I would love to see Dish redo their packages. Go back to a Top 60 packages for the first core package. They can still keep the Top 120, Top 200 and Top 250 if they want. Dish just needs to negotiate a package that has ESPN, TBS, TNT, USA, Discovery, History, MTV, AMC and so on for an affordable price. I'm not sure this will happen though since all the networks want their other crappy stations in the cheapest package as well.

Want the channels, but not to pay for them? The February increase may be scary, but to continually blame Dish for the increased costs of programming is ridiculous.
Did I blame dish soley? Bottomline, it sux period, no matter who does it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've been saying this for a few years now. I would love to see Dish redo their packages. Go back to a Top 60 packages for the first core package. They can still keep the Top 120, Top 200 and Top 250 if they want. Dish just needs to negotiate a package that has ESPN, TBS, TNT, USA, Discovery, History, MTV, AMC and so on for an affordable price. I'm not sure this will happen though since all the networks want their other crappy stations in the cheapest package as well.
lol a top 60 package would be nothing more than shopping and public interest channels.

Reactions: navychop
lol a top 60 package would be nothing more than shopping and public interest channels.

Going by prices now, yes. I'm saying they need to try and negotiate some deals with the networks that allow them to create such a package. They need a package at the $39.99 price point.

Yes i know but the package we have and i know we are going to end up paying $81.99 a month for America's top 250 for what we have but i am agree with that they do need to go back to the way it was when dish started.

Yes i know but the package we have and i know we are going to end up $81.99 a month for America's top 250 for what we have but i am agree with that they do need to go back to the way it was when dish started.

That's easy to say but how can it be done? Dish didn't just raise rates because they wanted to. They also didn't just add channels because they wanted to. In some cases Dish added channels because of customer demand and in some cases Dish added channels because they were forced to by the networks.

I would also like Dish to make a package like they had 10 years ago but I don't think they can without striking a new deal with all the networks. I don't foresee the networks allowing this.

I know that if Dish did have a small package that included the top 30 or so channels in it for under $45 that they would be the most popular provider in the US.

Reactions: empiretc
To compete with whom?

The world. Just kidding. Obviously Dish already has cheaper packages than the majority of providers so I get your point. I think it would switch the people over that are on the fence with their providers. I also think it would get a lot of cord cutters to come back. A package for $39.99 with the majority of channels they want would be too hard for people to pass up and it would allow customer more money to put toward extra equipment fees.

Just think, a customer could have that affordable package and also be able to afford the Hopper system now. Dish could advertise a deal where customers can have a four room Hopper system and basic programming for less than what the competition is offering just their programming alone for. To me that's a HUGE deal.

The world. Just kidding. Obviously Dish already has cheaper packages than the majority of providers so I get your point. I think it would switch the people over that are on the fence with their providers. I also think it would get a lot of cord cutters to come back. A package for $39.99 with the majority of channels they want would be too hard for people to pass up and it would allow customer more money to put toward extra equipment fees.

Isn't this niche sorta filled by Dish America Bronze?

I thought ESPN required to be in the basic packages yet it is not in the smart pack. Why couldn't Dish come out with another package without ESPN as well seeing how it adds $5 to the package for the one channel itself?

Reactions: TheKrell
Would have to many pissed off, lower tier customers. How many people posted they would leave dish if ESPN got taken down, when talks first started? Now how many of them, do you think had the AT120? My guess would be a significant portion. The most popular pckage is the 120 closely followed by 200(this may have changed since last year).

Would have to many pissed off, lower tier customers. How many people posted they would leave dish if ESPN got taken down, when talks first started? Now how many of them, do you think had the AT120? My guess would be a significant portion. The most popular pckage is the 120 closely followed by 200(this may have changed since last year).

The Top 200 is the most popular package for my customers followed very closely by the Top 120. The reason why the Top 200 is the most popular? SPORTS! I know every region is different but my region wants their Iowa Hawkeyes along with the Cubs, White Sox and Black Hawks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)