Retailer Chat Recap - January 13, 2011

If their is no charge to hook up the EHD then why do you have to call dish to get it activated? Why can't dish make the EHD service active for everyone? their got to be a catch.

Just got this from DISH on the EHD's. :)

Great news! We are pleased to announce that effective February 1, 2011, we will eliminate the $40 Activation Fee that
was previously required to enable DVR external hard drive storage on model ViP® 612 DVR, ViP 622 DVR, ViP 722
DVR, ViP 722k DVR, and ViP 922 SlingLoaded™ DVR receivers. This means that customers will now be able to use a
compatible external hard drive to add up to 1 TB of extra DVR storage space to their ViP-series DVR receiver for no
additional charge!

• Please note that the one-time Activation Fee to add an external hard drive to a model ViP 211 or ViP 211k receiver
(which provides DVR functionality to those receiver models) will remain at $40.

• There is no monthly fee associated with connecting an external hard drive to a compatible receiver.

• For more information on external hard drive requirements and set-up, visit
Setup External Hard Drive.

See all you doubters out there! Ye of little faith in Dish and Charlie!:D

Ghpr13:)

All we need now is an official statement from Dish on how the free premium for 12 months will work. I am still wondering if Flex customers qualify, and if someone with the STarz 3 months free promo needs to drop it before the Feb 1st deadline, in order to avoid getting Encore for 12 months instead of Starz.

Ghpr13 said:
See all you doubters out there! Ye of little faith in Dish and Charlie!:D

Ghpr13:)

While this true now, I do remember a time when I upgraded to AEP so that I didn't incur extra receiver fees. We all know what happened there.

Yup the price for being an early adopter. :)

But if you knew that fee was going to be waved 2 years ago would you have waited until now? (No neither would I. I feel that turning on EHD was a good value and added to my DISH Network experience.) :)

Ah, come on, the Dish receivers do a heck of job controlling your VCR. You coulda waited! ;)

(Honestly, I was impressed with the ability to record to my VCR. Neat feature. How many folks have seen Avatar on VHS EP? Converter boxes for DTV should have had it. Crazy legislators.)

My never-before-activated EHD just became activated without my calling in to get it activated. ;) Transferring 4 Nova episodes to it right now. Claims it will take ~1 hr.

Yep, mine is working too. Just added a terabyte drive to it.

Football next year is gonna be different!

"As of February 1st there will be NO one time activation fee for External Hard Drives.... however for 211 and 211k's to turn them into a DVR the $40 fee still applies."

Just got off the phone with Dish Network CSR and they deny that the $40 activation fee to activate an external hard drive has been cancelled. I have a VIP722K receiver. They insisted on charging me $40 to activate, which I refused.

"As of February 1st there will be NO one time activation fee for External Hard Drives.... however for 211 and 211k's to turn them into a DVR the $40 fee still applies."

Just got off the phone with Dish Network CSR and they deny that the $40 activation fee to activate an external hard drive has been cancelled. I have a VIP722K receiver. They insisted on charging me $40 to activate, which I refused.

Just plug your EHD in today, it will activate on it's own without a phone call, and yes, it's free.

wallyb47 said:

Haven't you figured out yet that if a csr is wrong that Satellite Guys is normally correct? ;)

It doesn't matter what CSRs or even their web page says, just plug it in and it will work. We have several people on this site that have just just that and guess what, it works....
No doubt this is true, but there are a number of folks over on Fatwallet that have called or done a chat and the CSR claims to have activated the EHD for free. I notice there is a place in your account settings on dishnetwork.com under My Equipment which has a field that states if your EHD is enabled or not. I wonder if you just plug in an EHD and don't bother to call if that field changes from Not Enabled to Enabled. Perhaps that is all the CSR is doing.

Of course, some of the folks on Fatwallet claim they are also being told they can activate an EHD on their 211 for free, so who knows what to believe.:rolleyes:

I think the random folks on Fatwallet are confused at best. My EHD enabled itself automatically, yet the My Equipment field still shows "Not Enabled" on all 3 of my receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)