Retailer Chat Recap: January 14, 2010

All of this is about as clear as mud for those of us who don't have multiple DVR's going on or AEP.

I've gathered that one 722 with TurboHD Bronze will now be 34.99 plus $6 DVR fee - so a net $1 increase in cost - not totally awful, I suppose, and might even be an incentive for me to think about adding a second receiver when we move (211k with my own external HDD, probably).

My question is - are they going to charge some kind of fee for the TV2 outlet of the 722? I know, the "first receiver is free" but I'm not clear on how this applies to those of us with JUST ONE 622/722. If they're going to assume that every 722/622 TV2 output is used for an actual second TV, they're in for a shock...

Yeah I know but now they are trying to say that those who had a phoneline hooked up were getting a credit instead of a charge...

Thats not the way they billed it on customers bills...

When I get the notice, I'm gonna have some fun with the CSR's and see how far I have to take it, telling them they owe me a credit for $5 per month since I've owned the 622, as if they claim they are taking away a credit, that must mean I should have been getting one.

I hope sales for higher end subs SUCK becauise of this. Sub loss plus retailers complaints cant sell big high end customers anymore:)

In my business I have seen suppliers make stupid moves, and wastch sales plummet.

I hope E gets added to that list:)

I hope they call me. After the receiver fee gouging I'll tell them when they ask me to read the location IDs that they can shove it up their a$$.

heres a interesting question, if high end subs disconnect their phone line in protest, and refuse to cooperate with audit group as you just suggested, wonder what will happen?

heres a interesting question, if high end subs disconnect their phone line in protest, and refuse to cooperate with audit group as you just suggested, wonder what will happen?

The audit nazis will disconnect all but the primary receiver.

I am real curious how much my bill will go up. I am so confused. I have two 722k's and a 211k. I am satisfied with the programming I get from Dish but if my bill gets close to TWC..... I can even bundle with internet service. I think I can even buy my own boxes and not get charged a dvr fee. One thing for sure I will compare my bill to what TWC has to offer. I do not want to leave Dish but............ Charlie are you listening??????????

Depends if you have AEP or not and current phone connections or not. The second 722k is $17 and the 211k is $7 and if you have AEP, you will now pay another $6 DVR fee.

They are discontinuing the $5 moth credit for having the phone line hooked up. Installers still must hook up phone line or broadband.

Wait... hold up a second. So right now I have a 622 with a Ethernet connection to it... that means they will no longer give me a 5$ month credit for having that hooked up in place of the phone line or the phone line????

And they also expect installers to continue to hook up phone or broadband lines to them anyway???

Depends if you have AEP or not and current phone connections or not. The second 722k is $17 and the 211k is $7 and if you have AEP, you will now pay another $6 DVR fee.

Yep I have AEP err what ever they call it now and all my boxes are connected.....

Dish upgraded our last receiver in a camper with no phone line just said no phone here. How do all the tailgater's who buy lots of equipment stay connected to phone lines?

Dish upgraded our last receiver in a camper with no phone line just said no phone here. How do all the tailgater's who buy lots of equipment stay connected to phone lines?

You can run it for a few days or so without it causing a problem...if its constantly running it will pop up a box saying connect it or its not connected which you can cancel out..its just annoying.

I'm still highly curious about that however as a installer, its the main excuse I have for getting people to hook them up cause I'm supposed to. people don't like seeing the lines run around their rooms now as it is..can only imagin the "hell no's" I'll get if it doesn't save them money now.

Let me put it this way. A 2 or 3 dollar increase is one thing. I have been a loyal customer of Dish for over 7 years. What does that get me? Nothing. When the increase is in the 10, 20 or 30 dollar range I will jump ship on principle. Believe me this is no idle threat. I will post when I get my bill. Shame on Charlie! These are not the best of times to pull this on people.

When I talked about subsidizing, I was talking about those with more than two receivers on their account. It costs money for a third receiver and it costs more for a fourth receiver. Those with four or more rooms will be affected the most (if they do not have receivers in single user mode).

I see what your saying, it costs hardly nothing more to make a 222 over a 211 and that Dish is being greedy for wanting to charge $84 more per year when they probably aint got $84 more in making a 222 than a 211 (or a 322 than a 311).

Maybe I am stupid or something or I am missing your point so please explain how Dish is subsidizing anymore TV. It costs Dish less than $150 to make a 222 or 211. With the $7 per month it was collecting currently with a year contract it recoups all 100% of the cost to make the receivers. I don't care if you have 1 or 20 receivers Dish is not subsidizing your receivers when after 24 months you paid 100% of the cost. Also factor in the fact if you have more than 2 receiver chances are Dish collected an upfront fee from you as well, and if the receiver broke and you did not have protection plan Dish charged you full price to replace the receiver on what planet was Dish either loosing money or subsidizing the cost of the receiver?

They are not like wireless carrier who were selling a $500 phone for $300 and at the end of the contract allowing you to buy another phone at a $200 loss. Dish makes the boxes, their cost to make 211 or 222 is under $200 and more than likely under $150 too. Unlike the wireless carrier who are buying equipment from a 3rd party company like Apple for $500 and selling them for $300 and taking an upfront loss of $200. Dish can think or claim if they sold their boxes to other providers those providers would pay them $500 per box but we both know that is not the case too considering Motorola who sells cable boxes to cable companies charges them under $200 per DVR which includes an HD which the 222/211 do not include.

So again I still don't understand how Dish is subsidizing anyone boxes when they basically are able to collect 100% of the cost of the contract term, and retain ownership of the boxes.

Your increase is $13 per month.
Thanks for the reply. Charlie or Dish doesn't care if I stay or leave. My decision will not impact them at all. But I guess I am showing my age. Early 50's. My goal is to make my life simple, not more complicated. My biggest tv is 40 inches therefor compression rates and other issues are not a problem. If I choose to go to cable I do not have to concern myself with dish alignment, rain fade, lnb's going bad, shipping a box back when it goes bad, waiting days for a replacement, people I do not know coming in my home, charging me for fixing/replacing equipment I do not own etc, etc......... Don't get me wrong, Dish has a great product. They are making it less attractive with all these fees and additional charges. I just have to decide if it is worth all the extra fees/charges and hassle. After all it is just tv. When my desire to watch satellite tv costs more money, effort and time than my electric bill I need to reassess things.;) Obtw if all this comes to pass Charlie just handed cable a new marketing/advertising strategy. I can imagine / just see the new commercials now.

Last edited:
$16 Increase??

I have a 622 and 2 722's. My current bill is:

Multisport 5.99
Clasic Gold 250 with DVR 67.99
DHPP 5.99
HD DUO DVR Receiver 12.00
HD DUO DVR Receiver 12.00
HD & Platimum 10.00

Total $113.97

It appears that my new bill will be $16.00 more! This is a really big increase and I am going to have to evaluate alternatives! Experts: Please correct me if this is wrong!

When my desire to watch satellite tv costs more money, effort and time than my electric bill I need to reassess things.;)

Great point! The annual rise of cable/sat rates has certainly outpaced other utilities like electricity, water, etc. If we were getting something in return for increasing cable/sat rates -- like better quality entertainment out of Hollywood and/or more channels -- the justification might be easier to see. But if cable/sat rates continue with these annual increase, it won't be too many years before a package (w/o premiums) will cost about $100/month. It all simply boils down to greed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)