Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2008

Is the Welcome Pack going to be offered to new subscribers? I know right now the Essential Pack isn't.

Thanks

True... I'm gonna catch the chat on my neighbour's DVR later since he works for a retailer and check out the details. The screenies are hard to make out...

Typical DISH marketing.

No real content. Change the package names to generate excitement and hide a price increase. Yawn.

I assume that the HBOs will only be available if you spend another $15 on HBO and won't be available on the HD only top package.

People need to take a look at the title of this thread. It is a RETAILER chat recap. It is not intended for customers. That is why customers can't see it. They state in the chat that things change. The chat is to give retailers a heads up of what is about to change so they can prepare to get advertising changed. Nothing is absolute until it is put into business rules. Even then it still changes. So if they say 40 channels in the Gold package, who cares if it is really going to be 41, 45 or 38. Things change. This is not Dish's final word on what is going to happen by the 1st. Scott gives a great recap on what is pertinant to the customers. But there is more to these chats for us retailers. If you listen to all these posts, Dish will no longer be in business in a couple of months. All I know is I am busy selling a lot of HD right now.

People need to take a look at the title of this thread. It is a RETAILER chat recap. It is not intended for customers. That is why customers can't see it. They state in the chat that things change. The chat is to give retailers a heads up of what is about to change so they can prepare to get advertising changed. Nothing is absolute until it is put into business rules. Even then it still changes. So if they say 40 channels in the Gold package, who cares if it is really going to be 41, 45 or 38. Things change. This is not Dish's final word on what is going to happen by the 1st. Scott gives a great recap on what is pertinant to the customers. But there is more to these chats for us retailers. If you listen to all these posts, Dish will no longer be in business in a couple of months. All I know is I am busy selling a lot of HD right now.
Your on bro'! I sub to the current "dishHD Absolute" package with locals and one ViP 622. Assuming i make no changes in my programming....

What is my Dish bill going to be effective Aug 1st? and

What channels are going to be in my EPG on Aug 1st (plus or minus a few cause "things change")?

Talon Dancer

p.s. any other Dish retailer care to take a shot at these two simple questions?

p.p.s. My most recent bill was $40.97 before taxes.

Your on bro'! I sub to the current "dishHD Absolute" package with locals and one ViP 622. Assuming i make no changes in my programming....

What is my Dish bill going to be effective Aug 1st? and

What channels are going to be in my EPG on Aug 1st (plus or minus a few cause "things change")?

Talon Dancer

p.s. any other Dish retailer care to take a shot at these two simple questions?

p.p.s. My most recent bill was $40.97 before taxes.

As stated in the chat, current DishHD Absolute customers will be grandfathered in, so your bill will be 40.97 before taxes. As for how long you will be grandfathered in, I don't know.

As for what channels will be in your EPG, I stated in an earlier post that I did not think Dish would add to current Absolute customers. This was NOT stated in the chat. There was no mention as to whether Dish would or would not add new HD channels to current Absolute customers. This was just an impression that I got by what was not said.

My previous rant was regarding the speculation on the gold pakage. People are ready to call Dish over with because they had a slide on a retailer chat that said 40 channels for a package that is not even abailable yet.

This is all just a marketing campaign by Dish. The majority of customers bills will not change. Names of packages will, prices shouldn't (until next Feb). Those customers whose bill will change are those Absolute customers that want the RSN. I am not saying this is the best idea by Dish, but that is all there is to it.

I keep thinking of the movie Dumb & Dumber when he put TURBO-LAX in the other guys drink. Then the following Sh*t storm in his new girlfriend's toilet. The funniest scene in the movie.:D

As stated in the chat, current DishHD Absolute customers will be grandfathered in, so your bill will be 40.97 before taxes. As for how long you will be grandfathered in, I don't know.

As for what channels will be in your EPG, I stated in an earlier post that I did not think Dish would add to current Absolute customers. This was NOT stated in the chat. There was no mention as to whether Dish would or would not add new HD channels to current Absolute customers. This was just an impression that I got by what was not said....
Thanks for the clarification. That's what I wanted to read :) I'll be happy if the price of the dishHD Absolute package doesn't go up and I don't don't lose any current HD channels (at least till next Feb.). I'd be even happier if the grandfather period turned out to be much longer :)

FWIW this new crop of 17 HD channels is a yawner for me. The majority of them are not available unless I sub to the two additional premium movie packages. The others are simply not that compelling.

Talon Dancer

Come on Talon you know you want to watch the battered bitch channel in hd . Now just think of all that crying in HD that you will miss if you don't tune in.

The 612 receiver is becoming the base receiver being installed for new DHA customers.
Not questioning your reporting, but does this seem reasonable? I would think they would start out with the ViP211 if they were pushing the MPEG4 angle.

OTOH, if they get one DVR installed, there will be more to follow.

It should just be AT100/200/250. HD access should be included with the HD receiver lease fee. One (and only one) $5-10 HD add-on pack for HDNet and such.
What you propose is similar the model that DIRECTV is using and it pretty much precludes a reduced-cost HD only package.

Charging an HD access fee per receiver is a highly objectionable CATV model and that's not a good example to follow. It is a hard enough sell on the DVR fee and for that your actually getting something special.

It wasn't that long ago their packages were "metals" named. Maybe they realized there might be less confusion with platinum, gold, silver, etc., than with essentials, ultimate, etc.??
It beats the heck out of using the same one or two words in most of your programming package names (Choice, Choice+, Choice Xtra, Choice Xtra+).

Satelliteracer just announced that Universal HD will be in MPEG 4 as well as HD NET Movies, 2 HD-lite channels in the HD Extra Pack, by the end of this month. D10 is maxed for capacity, which would mean D11 will be moved into place in the next few weeks and turned on.
Don't you suppose they could simply send them from the current satellite using MPEG4???

It beats the heck out of using the same one or two words in most of your programming package names (Choice, Choice+, Choice Xtra, Choice Xtra+).

My favorite D* package name was always Total Choice Limited.

Happy to have the additional channels but whomever thought up the Turbo name for the new packages needs kicked in the privates!

Exactly what I was thinking; I can hear the radio ad now:

15 second spot for radio:
<script read in MONSTER TRUCK ANNOUNCER voice>
DISH HD TURBO TURBO TURBO!
To celebrate the TURBO HD Experince dish is adding brand new turbo TUR-bo TURBO charged channels! Turbo charge your planet with Planet Green Green Green!! Turbo charge your emotions with Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Channel! Did I say TURBO??!

((and so on and so forth))

---

Now, if they were adding more adrenaline soaked channels like Speed, Spike, FX or Rush - I would get it... but planet green and the lifetimes?

New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

I'm looking to add hbo by Aug 1st...can someone explain to me what the above statement means and what I need 2 do to subscribe? thanks in advance

This is great news for those of us with the AEP package. This gives me Encore HD, more Max HD, More HBO HD, and CBS C HD, all of which I wanted! I think Charlie had mentioned in one of his chats that the Lifetime channels were on the upgrade path, so that is no surprise.

IIRC, Charlie also mentioned in one of his chats that there will probably be a modest increase in all rates after the new year. I'm guessing $5 bucks, to cover additional programming costs. It that's all it is, I'll be happy. As soon as I get my HD locals, speed HD, ESPNU HD (when it launches), etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)