Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Have they announced this?

My understanding was that D11 will mostly be for locals...

Scott, didn't you mention this at one point?

Satelliteracer just announced that Universal HD will be in MPEG 4 as well as HD NET Movies, 2 HD-lite channels in the HD Extra Pack, by the end of this month. D10 is maxed for capacity, which would mean D11 will be moved into place in the next few weeks and turned on.

I counted 41, not counting the HD premiums, HD lil, HD RSN and PPV.

Currently: 41
TNT
ESPN
ESPN2
A&E
SCI-FI
HISTORY
DISCOVERY
USA
CNN
TLC
HDNET
HGTV
FOOD
HD THEATER
TBS
MHD
WEATHER
TRAVEL
CNBC
DISNEY
ABC FAM
ESPNEWS
CARTOON
ANIMAL PLANET
NFL NET
BRAVO
TOON DISNEY
WGN AMERICA
TENNIS
BIO
HALLMARK MOVIE
GOLF/VS
SCIENCE
NAT GEO
UNIVERSAL
MGM HD
WFN
NHL
HDNET MOVIES
SMITHSONIAN
NBA

Coming 8/1: 45
PLANET GREEN
CBS COLLEGE SPORTS
LIFETIME
LIFETIME MOVIES

I am going out on a limb and going to assume that the HD Only Turbo Packs won't have the 7 Ultimate Channels.

Satelliteracer just announced that Universal HD will be in MPEG 4 as well as HD NET Movies, 2 HD-lite channels in the HD Extra Pack, by the end of this month. D10 is maxed for capacity, which would mean D11 will be moved into place in the next few weeks and turned on.

Yep, I guess the only question is...turned on for what? Locals? National? Both? I've seen some assumptions but nothing more...

Yep, I guess the only question is...turned on for what? Locals? National? Both? I've seen some assumptions but nothing more...
A quick look at the DirecTV web site turns up The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV Satellite Launch Sets the Stage for Delivery of Up to 150 National HD Channels which says:

"EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Mar 20, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- A powerful, new DIRECTV satellite, launched successfully today from the Pacific Ocean-based Sea Launch platform, will further boost DIRECTV's HD capacity, enabling the industry's HD leader to deliver up to 150 national HD channels when the satellite goes into service this fall. With the additional capacity, DIRECTV will also expand its delivery of local HD channels to more than 100 markets, representing 84 percent of U.S. TV households.

DIRECTV will launch another satellite in 2009 that will enable the nation's leading satellite TV service to offer consumers up to 200 national HD channels.

The DIRECTV 11 satellite's powerful spot beam transponders will also begin delivery of local HD channels to new markets across the U.S., expanding the number of markets where DIRECTV offers local HD broadcast networks to more than 100 by the end of 2008. DIRECTV now offers its customers an industry-leading 92 national HD channels and provides local HD broadcast channels in 77 cities, representing approximately 76 percent of U.S. TV households. "

Does that clear up the assumptions that others have stated?

TNT
ESPN
ESPN2
A&E
SCI-FI
HISTORY
DISCOVERY
USA
CNN
TLC
HDNET
HGTV
FOOD
HD THEATER
TBS
MHD
WEATHER
TRAVEL
CNBC
DISNEY
ABC FAM
ESPNEWS
CARTOON
ANIMAL PLANET
NFL NET
BRAVO
TOON DISNEY
WGN AMERICA
TENNIS
BIO
HALLMARK MOVIE
GOLF/VS
SCIENCE
NAT GEO
UNIVERSAL
MGM HD
WFN
NHL
HDNET MOVIES
SMITHSONIAN
NBA

PLANET GREEN
CBS COLLEGE SPORTS
LIFETIME
LIFETIME MOVIES

I am going out on a limb and going to assume that the HD Only Turbo Packs won't have the 7 Ultimate Channels.

You mean, Smithsonian, HDNET, WFN, UNIVERSAL, MGM, HDNET MOVIES & HD THEATER?
That doesn't make sense, which tier will have those 7 ultimate channel, remember most of them are purely HD only channel, the only other possibility is that they go the Voom way disappear all together :(

It seems silly but Dish is again and again proving they don't do a professional job, I think at the end of the day we are going to have 45 channels, they just didn't thought thru this while preparing the slides. We have regularly seen mistakes when it comes to slides, web site posting etc and this is again one of those cases.

You mean, Smithsonian, HDNET, WFN, UNIVERSAL, MGM, HDNET MOVIES & HD THEATER?
That doesn't make sense, which tier will have those 7 ultimate channel, remember most of them are purely HD only channel, the only other possibility is that they go the Voom way disappear all together :(

It seems silly but Dish is again and again proving they don't do a professional job, I think at the end of the day we are going to have 45 channels, they just didn't thought thru this while preparing the slides. We have regularly seen mistakes when it comes to slides, web site posting etc and this is again one of those cases.

Oh Oh, I just read the press release and they are going to charge additional $10 to get the 7 ultimate channels and it is called "TURBO PLATINUM"

What a load of crap. So, essentially, (pending further details), us HD Absolute customers on a budget got (1) a big price increase just to maintain service, more if we want the new stuff, and (2) most of Dish's remaining bandwidth being taken up by premiums, meaning we will probably see very few mainstream channels added in the next couple years. How much space will be left for new offerings after these 17? What plans does Dish have to add bandwidth for all subs (as Ciel-2 will only help those at 129)?

Seriously, this makes me want to cancel in favor of Directv far more than the Voom debacle. Dish has nearly evaporated their price advantage while at the same time mortgaged their future on channels only a minority subscribe to.

TNT
ESPN
ESPN2
A&E
SCI-FI
HISTORY
DISCOVERY
USA
CNN
TLC
HDNET
HGTV
FOOD
HD THEATER
TBS
MHD
WEATHER
TRAVEL
CNBC
DISNEY
ABC FAM
ESPNEWS
CARTOON
ANIMAL PLANET
NFL NET
BRAVO
TOON DISNEY
WGN AMERICA
TENNIS
BIO
HALLMARK MOVIE
GOLF/VS
SCIENCE
NAT GEO
UNIVERSAL
MGM HD
WFN
NHL
HDNET MOVIES
SMITHSONIAN
NBA

PLANET GREEN
CBS COLLEGE SPORTS
LIFETIME
LIFETIME MOVIES

Wasn't NBA TV dropped by D* this month from their HD packages because now you need to subscribe to NBA League Pass to get it? If so, then E* might be dropping it as well. That leaves you at the 40 channels for Gold. Seems like someone didn't add the new channels to the count.

Wasn't NBA TV dropped by D* this month from their HD packages because now you need to subscribe to NBA League Pass to get it?

You don't need NBA LP to get NBA, just the Sports Package addon or Premier package along with the HD Access charge.

I REALLY hate it when I am assuming correctly. So on the upside we get RSN's if we keep our current level of service (which are mostly part-time channels) and 4 new nationals... the downside, the bill just went up about 20 a month. ((Will be fun explaining this one to my wife, after signing up for the service 3 weeks ago - BANG a price increase - something we would have expected from CoNcast... sigh....)

However... that will make the quantities of HD channels in each package come up short. They are missing one channel in the Bronze and two in the Silver and Gold. As far as the one missing from Silver and Gold, it could be anything in the AT200 package not already in HD (ie MSNBC, Speed...). As for the Bronze, the only channels that aren't already covered would not make sense to add by themselves (the mtv/vh1/cmt/nick will most likely hit at the same time) very curious....

Could care less about NBA or NHL if they went away. Lifetime either (nor does the Mrs. watch them thank God)....

I'm still trying to figure out if AEP + HD Ultimate customers are getting a price increase and/or the new channels, or do we have to move up another HD tier....

Could care less about NBA or NHL if they went away. Lifetime either (nor does the Mrs. watch them thank God)....

I'm still trying to figure out if AEP + HD Ultimate customers are getting a price increase and/or the new channels, or do we have to move up another HD tier....
Far as I can tell, the only people that are definitely getting the price increase are the new HD only subs...

other than that, is is also possible the current HD Only subs could feel the pinch too. Many have said that won't be the case; but still no confirmation from e* that current HD Abs subs will be grandfathered. Even if we are grandfathered it is unknown whether they will get the new nationals (most likely NOT the RSNs) and for how long the grandfathered rate would apply...

Far as I can tell, the only people that are definitely getting the price increase are the new HD only subs...

other than that, is is also possible the current HD Only subs could feel the pinch too. Many have said that won't be the case; but still no confirmation from e* that current HD Abs subs will be grandfathered. Even if we are grandfathered it is unknown whether they will get the new nationals (most likely NOT the RSNs) and for how long the grandfathered rate would apply...

Bingo the current customers will not see a rate increase untill next year and then yes the rates will go up.

Bingo the current customers will not see a rate increase untill next year and then yes the rates will go up.

The question of the hour though, will they keep their word and continue to add channels to the legacy HD Abs. pack, or will we not see anything else added

(mind you - I can very easily live without Plant Green, Lifetimes and CBS College Sports, but if anything more interesting gets added and it gets skipped from HD Abs, I'll be a little miffed)

The question of the hour though, will they keep their word and continue to add channels to the legacy HD Abs. pack, or will we not see anything else added

(mind you - I can very easily live without Plant Green, Lifetimes and CBS College Sports, but if anything more interesting gets added and it gets skipped from HD Abs, I'll be a little miffed)

Yes if you have the right package you should see the new channels, if not then I think Dish Network can be sued. Also it would be bad business for Charlie to try and change the rules for the current HD subscriber in Mid-Year. At the end of year yes he can raise the rate that is the busniess model Charlie had set up for Dish and that is the big reason Charlie gives for staying with Dish.

In other words your rate will not go up for one year after the year yes your rate can increase.

Guess? There are 41 HD channels identified. Add the 5 pay-per-view amd the 4 new HD channels, that gives you 50. There are 10 hd with no SD channels (the new HDTurbo PLatinum) - below. Subtracting those, that gives you 40 - HDTurbo Gold. For the 33, there are 7 channels in in Ulitimate that are not in the Essentials; granted all 7 are part of the non-SD 10 so what are the 7 silver to gold channels, who knows.
  • HD Theater
  • HDNet
  • HDNet Movies
  • MGM
  • MHD
  • NBA
  • NHL
  • Smithsonian
  • Universal
  • WFN
Looks like at some point, $20more/month. Then again, maybe we should wait to see wait Dish says...

I thought I remembered somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that Disk mentioned pricing woud not change for current members. But I bet if you change your package, you get the new pricing.

scott posted these screen caps earlier.... (never posted picts in a post before so don't know how well this will work...)

attachment.php
attachment.php
(first image from this post. second from this post.)

I would be willing to put money on this:
channels in AT100 = channels in Turbo Bronze (+MHD, HD Net, HD Theater)
channels in AT200 = channels in Turbo Silver (+MHD, HD Net, HD Theater)
channels in AT250 = channels in Turbo Gold (+MHD, HD Net, HD Theater)

This would mean they would still have to add one more channel to the Bronze and two to the Silver and Gold.

Not completely outside the realm of possibility...

Happy to have the additional channels but whomever thought up the Turbo name for the new packages needs kicked in the privates!

Yea, E*'s marketing couldn't get any worse. Bad commercials, terrible package names, bad slogans, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts