Retailer Chat Recap, November 27, 2007

I just drove by there and the lights were on...but it sounds like nobody is home! :D
I did too and happened to have my camera with me.

tumbleweed.jpg

that link covers 2 models. I can personaly guarantee that mine does not have HDMI in.

It will probably work.

My Toshiba with DVI works fine with the HDCP, but it is only 1080i. I just have an HDMI to DVI cable (monoprice). Guess you will find out when they turn the broadcast flag on.

They didn't even offer much for the DISH fan club to start spinning in the forums.

New HD programming = a channel launched a month ago? Pitiful.

Charlie is fiddeling while DISH Churns to the ground.

At this rate of NON disclosures by Charlie about his real hd plans, there will be a decrease in the total amount of subs in the next quarter. Why won't he assuage the fears of DISH stock holders and subs and tell us more hd is coming. He not only sounds like he is in denial big time, but to say DISH is better than Directv with the most hd is a down right LIE. YES, they do have their hd dvrs that are far superior to Directvs present dvrs. I love them and have 3 of them but COME ON! that isn't going to keep people with or attract new subs to DISH. I hope that the silence on the hd future is worth it.

DISH should take a page out of DIRECTV's playbook and put out to the media their plans or an outline of them for the addition of more hd , locals etc. THis is what kept most DIRECTV subs with their service the two years that DISH had more hd. They had a firm date of FALL 2007 for the addition of more hd. THey outlined thier plan and how many sats were going up and how they would do all the hd locals in the country. This gave their subs something to look forward to and a reason to stick around. This used to be Charlies idea to keep their subs informed with Charlie/Tech /Retailer chats. Now they are just stonewalling for some reason. Maybe the ATT buyout deal is the reason. IF this is the reason we won't be seeing much of any new hd till the buyout is completed.

Any way I know that I get more discouraged and frustrated every time CHarlie passes the opportunity to clarify his plans. I am sure I am not alone.

Mike - some irony in your post - although I feel you are pretty much dead on.

The loyalty to DIRECTV did come in large part to the fact that they revealed what they were working on, and it made sense. It was a bandwidth issue and they presented their solution. To buy and launch new satellites that could give them just that BANDWIDTH.

The timetable was reasonable, they continued to put out announcements about new channels and agreements - the type of things that a customer wants to hear. Even during this timeframe, DISH put out relatively few regarding its own 2007+ future plans.

But the most ironic part is, so many DISH subscribers continued to RIDICULE the plan that DIRECTV was working on as just promises. Funny how they did just what they said they would, and now DISH customers like you wish that their beloved Charlie would just provide the same type of info - a plan that is reasonable, makes sense to its customers and gives them the feeling that they are concerned and working to get BANDWIDTH. 180 degrees I dare say.

You are so right in how well it worked for DIRECTV, didn't Charlie notice that?

Mainly Dish due to Direct had no where else to go but up due to they had very little HD for so long. Right now there is only a hand few of channels Direct has added that Dish does not have. Most of those are not 24/7 HD but I think in the near future Dish will get those but in the long run they will both offer about the same amount of HD channels just like they do in SD Format.

Well, there are two big driving events coming up for HD purchases: Christmas and the Super Bowl.

If E* doesn't have an HD battle plan in place in the next week or so, they'll have missed Christmas, and any new buyers even considering DBS will have gone to D*.

Right now there is only a hand few of channels Direct has added that Dish does not have.
Poke, you keep saying that E*'s missing only a 'few' HD channels that D* has. Can you please provide us your defintion of the word few? I've responded a number of times to your post listing the channels that D* has that show HD programming which numbers in the teens, and 13 to 17 channels (and that's not counting PPV's, RSN's or HD channels that haven't shown any HD content) is more then a few using all commonly used definitions for the word 'few'.

Right now there is only a hand few of channels Direct has added that Dish does not have.

Only a FEW? Now I think you are on acid. You can't be serious with that statement.

So I got my answer though, it's blind loyalty. But you're entitled to it, I hope for your sake (and loyalty) you are correct.

Still, that comment about only a hand few, is a handfull.

Well, there are two big driving events coming up for HD purchases: Christmas and the Super Bowl.

If E* doesn't have an HD battle plan in place in the next week or so, they'll have missed Christmas, and any new buyers even considering DBS will have gone to D*.

But wasn't this the RETAILER CHAT? Shouldn't their retailers get informed of any Holiday or Super Bowl promotions already? Don't you think so yourself?

But wasn't this the RETAILER CHAT? Shouldn't their retailers get informed of any Holiday or Super Bowl promotions already? Don't you think so yourself?
There are lots of ways to get info out to the retailers quickly. But you're right, this would have been a good time, and E* didn't do it. Makes you wonder if they really have a plan, or even plan to have a plan.

There are lots of ways to get info out to the retailers quickly. But you're right, this would have been a good time, and E* didn't do it. Makes you wonder if they really have a plan, or even plan to have a plan.

I am certainly not a marketing expert. I would have to think that the circulars, and other retailer advertising that would have to go out to consumers would already have to be in the works - especially if its going to have any impact. The holiday buying season is already under way as we all know.

If they were to all of a sudden come out with something in the next week or so - how much effect would it have? The circulars the last 2 weeks have been filled with outrageous HDTV specials. There can be no doubt that they have already lost a fairly large portion of the people buying new sets for the holiday. To change/add something now would certainly reek of total desperation and poor planning. I mean, they have known of the competitions plans for a few years, and once that satellite went up, they also knew what would be coming this summer/fall/winter.

Their retailers had a slow 3rd quarter, you would think that they would have had a plan in place for October 1 (they certainly have to get feedback and reports from their dealers that let them know that biz was slow). But now its almost December 1st and we ask that same question. I think it may be too late for this season for them.

I don't have the answers for sure, but this quarter can have a huge impact on the next year or so. So many new HD users coming on line NOW, if they lose them now, they lose them for a decent amount of time.

Come on guys, leave Poke alone.... He did change his signature from reading something about Dish being the "HD leader" so he realizes something !

The next retailer chat is December 20th. Much too late for a holiday sales game plan.

I would say Charlie lost it it this year. Too bad too he started the year on such a great wave.

The next retailer chat is December 20th. Much too late for a holiday sales game plan.

I would say Charlie lost it it this year. Too bad too he started the year on such a great wave.

What do you think? What odds do you give to DISH being sold now? Didn't I read around here that the so-called experts say 65% chance of it?

I have a question...I have AEP with hd and locals. If I drop the HD pack and pay the $6 hd access fee, will I still get my locals in hd and, will I still get the HBO, SHO, MAX & Strz HD channels?