Retention offers are worse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am thinking of leaving. They initially offered me $20.00 off per month. I think I can do better. I get everything but no NFL Sunday ticket or any of the big sports add on deals.

Rob

Wait until the Sunday Ticket season offers, thats when they start offering the good stuff...

Reactions: Jimbo
I am thinking of leaving. They initially offered me $20.00 off per month. I think I can do better. I get everything but no NFL Sunday ticket or any of the big sports add on deals.

Rob

please do leave, im sure any other service will offer you extreme discounts whenever you want them

The lowered discounts have absolutely nothing to do with the ATT merger.

I have been a DirecTV customer for the past 3 years and a half. My contract was up since last April and I wanted to lower down my bill. Nobody was helping so I threatened to go to DIsh and the best they did was 20 off for a year. This year I wanted to see if I wanted to see what I can get this year around and man oh man I hit the jackpot this year. OK before I tell you, mind you I have 3 HDTVs with the Genie Whole Home DVR with the XTRA Package and the HR44.
I called in to get the MLB Extra Innings and they told me I can get a $100 off coupon so I could get the EI for only 80 dollars or so for the season. I accepted it and a few days went by and I wanted more. I called in and the rep offered 4 months of Starz movie channels plus $70 dollars off for 12 months :). I received the bill for the last 2 months being exactly 69.21 cents. I called again last week to see if there was any deals and they offered an additional $25 off for 12 months but I had to sign a contract but declined cause I hate them so I got the $70 off with no commitment. Guys, I don't know what to tell you but next time you try to get deals hopefully you get my jackpot. The key of getting the deals is to act calm and be friendly with the rep. TRUST ME!!
Now if you can excuse me, I'm gonna enjoy my DirecTV on my sexy 55 inch Samsung TV.
Good Luck Guys :)

I have been a DirecTV customer for the past 3 years and a half. My contract was up since last April and I wanted to lower down my bill. Nobody was helping so I threatened to go to DIsh and the best they did was 20 off for a year. This year I wanted to see if I wanted to see what I can get this year around and man oh man I hit the jackpot this year. OK before I tell you, mind you I have 3 HDTVs with the Genie Whole Home DVR with the XTRA Package and the HR44.
I called in to get the MLB Extra Innings and they told me I can get a $100 off coupon so I could get the EI for only 80 dollars or so for the season. I accepted it and a few days went by and I wanted more. I called in and the rep offered 4 months of Starz movie channels plus $70 dollars off for 12 months :). I received the bill for the last 2 months being exactly 69.21 cents. I called again last week to see if there was any deals and they offered an additional $25 off for 12 months but I had to sign a contract but declined cause I hate them so I got the $70 off with no commitment. Guys, I don't know what to tell you but next time you try to get deals hopefully you get my jackpot. The key of getting the deals is to act calm and be friendly with the rep. TRUST ME!!
Now if you can excuse me, I'm gonna enjoy my DirecTV on my sexy 55 inch Samsung TV.

Just to be clear... did you talk to someone in retention this year when you hit the jackpot? :)

Reactions: tubetwister
They gave you $ 70 off a MONTH for a year, plus $ 100 off for MLB EI and then another $25 off a month for a year .... :bored
And you been with them for 3 years .... can't wait to see what they give those of us that have been here much longer, maybe FREE !!!!

Not likely.

Reactions: GoBigRed79
They gave you $ 70 off a MONTH for a year, plus $ 100 off for MLB EI and then another $25 off a month for a year .... :bored
And you been with them for 3 years .... can't wait to see what they give those of us that have been here much longer, maybe FREE !!!!

Not likely.
You never know it would not hurt to ask....call and call until you get the deals you want and don't give up....they work for you you dont work for them

You never know it would not hurt to ask....call and call until you get the deals you want and don't give up....they work for you you dont work for them
They also are not gonna give the store away.

Also, after getting what he says he got, I would not expect much next time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmetelsky
They also are not gonna give the store away.

Also, after getting what he says he got, I would not expect much next time around.
Yeah but you have to call to get what you want.....if they give what you expect is not what you want then leave....keep calling no matter what.....I will keep on calling until I get what i want even if they get annoyed :)
Watch me next year I will hit the jackpot again :)

Yeah but you have to call to get what you want.....if they give what you expect is not what you want then leave....keep calling no matter what.....I will keep on calling until I get what i want even if they get annoyed :)
Watch me next year I will hit the jackpot again :)
Marking the calendar.

The Current NEW package gives you 2 years price freeze, instead of 1st year great prices and 2nd jump tremendously ...

New subs only of course.
Right and right ,
I just jumped ship from Dish since 2010 (never a late pay ) to ATT/D*TV from an offer tied to bundling my longstanding ATT Broad Band FTTN ISP account to the D* TV new service .

I was long out of contract at Dish . Dish was unwilling to give me a compelling retention offer of any kind or a compelling new contract and device upgrade and were indifferent to it all .

I picked up (for no money ) two additional rooms Dish wanted money to wire and a whole house 4 room D*TV Genie DVR system vs a VIP 722K and VIP 211K and 2 rooms and I room DVR and the Xtra package and 3 mo. free premium movie channels I wont be needing after the grace period .

Dish wanted some money and a new contract and more monthly recurring fees to upgrade to the newer Hopper systems but still only 2 rooms and even more money to put in 4 rooms .

I picked up a $200.00 rewards card ,new up to date Whole house Genie DVR + 3 Mini Genie system and 2 more rooms for no money or monthly device fees outside of an optional protection plan with semi annual no cost device upgrade privileges if they come up with something better but I'm not seeing that for a good while in my opinion and maybe some things will move to 5G wirelesses anyway .

OTOH you are on point about the felonious price of [end of contact ] price increase for new customers.

FWIW I got the estimate in print of a little less than I was paying Dish and ATT broadband ISP separately with all the Dish Downsides,old devices ,poor picture ,2 less rooms etc. than what my off contract ATT broadband and AT/D*TV bundle with a better channel selection and whole house Genie DVR set up will be after 2 years locked into a decently cheaper all total payment .

Of course we will see what shakes out off contract and if they keep thier word .and don't become the Comcast of the sky ?

Rob
Caviat emptor,

The Dish HD light HD TV picture is terrible IMO compared to DIRECTV and I read they use MPEG-2 on most existing channels and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC on the new ones and reduce the resolution of 1080-line channels from 1920 x1080 to 1440 x1080. Reducing horizontal resolution and/or data rate of HD video is known as HD Lite -wikepedia- .....and all that does not address the egregious mpeg compression,video noise and bit starving .

Beside that Dish HD lite mess does not upscale even on my 4K Sony or any of the 1080p TV's here and that also noticeably softens the picture IMO .

I like the D*TV HDTV picture much better.

Former ~6yr, in good standing Dish customer .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14385.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

People who call in for discounts to me are the smart ones, I don't call nearly enough. That's the system, business model most all the providers work under so why not take advantage of it? I get a healthy discount off my Internet if I call every four months, when they again give me a four month discount.
I have had At&t for cell service for a very long time, before it became Cingular and still do now. At&t does not hand out any kind of discounts just because you ask so I would not be surprised if they carry that over to Directv to at least cut down on how often they give them.

People who call in for discounts to me are the smart ones, I don't call nearly enough. That's the system, business model most all the providers work under so why not take advantage of it? I get a healthy discount off my Internet if I call every four months, when they again give me a four month discount.
I have had At&t for cell service for a very long time, before it became Cingular and still do now. At&t does not hand out any kind of discounts just because you ask so I would not be surprised if they carry that over to Directv to at least cut down on how often they give them.
If all these companies would come up with a real down to earth price point to start with, people wouldn't need to call in to try to lower thier bill.
That goes for all companies .... then again, when the company does this and figured at least 60 % don't call in, they are making money.

Reactions: Tampa8
If all these companies would come up with a real down to earth price point to start with, people wouldn't need to call in to try to lower thier bill.
That goes for all companies .... then again, when the company does this and figured at least 60 % don't call in, they are making money.

you would think so, but everyone wants something for nothing
people would still call

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)