Retiring Older Receivers

Maybe it doesn't have the security features Dish wants on the market? Does it use the G3/G4 smart card? Or another side of things, can it be connected to a DPP switch without a legacy adapter?

I don't know why the 111's where retired or replaced. They all had the 8PSK Broadcom chipset inside of them
I suspect there was something about them just different enough to require a little extra code tweaking. Not worth the ongoing expense.

Reactions: ChadT41
I didn't even research it, I was throwing out possibilities. I'm on the phone and it takes forever to Load the list, is Minn a mixed arc DMA?

The way I read it was they wanted to retire his 301,311, but also change the 322/625 out with a tech, which led me to the idea that they want to migrate him, but Iceberg knows there is nlos on EA

I hope they don't try to change him out to EA. There is line of site on EA but it seems stupid for Dish to send someone out to swap out 4 receivers (and have to redo the wiring I did) instead of swapping out the 2 receivers (my dad verified both are 301's...thought one was a 311)

If they do that (switch to EA) then Dish is stupider than I thought. Instead of a 10 minute job lets kill 2 hours and piss off the customer as my dad has a bunch of stuff on his DVR. And he isnt technology inclined so that means I will have to make a trip to the cities to set up all his timers that he has.

It has worked fine for 12+ years and all we have done is swap out a 301 for a 625 and another 301 for a 322 so why screw with it now??

Reactions: TheKrell
  • The migrations in the below DMAs must be completed by the end of 2015. Additional DMAs are being migrated on a reactive basis only, but these customers will not be receiving migration letters at this time.
I think this is the part that would be applying.

They could also just do the two receivers. I'm speculating Iceberg. That's all. Sorry if I hadn't said that earlier.

Minneapolis is still a WA market as of a couple weeks ago when I was in the cities (after seeing new installs)

Again upgrading a non contracted SD only customer to a new arc and HD receivers is STUPID!!!

They could also just do the two receivers.
God I hope so. I have a feeling I will be getting a phone call tomorrow sometime between 8 and noon from my dad if they try anything else. I made the call and set everything up for him and the guy at Dish said all they were going to do is swap out the 2 receivers

I've done everything on the setup for my dad. He bought the dish and 2 301's years ago for $200. We added 2 more receivers then started swapping out to the 625 & 322 a few years ago. Dish actually has never set foot on the property.

I'm shocked they actually didn't ship them.. That is the prt that confuses me. This should be a simple ship out replacement like receivers, for the two. A technician would only be necessary if the Dish needs changed, or if the cabling/parts(seperators etc) need changed. If I were you, I'd stay suspicious about it.

By the way, I checked it out, and it looked like a mixed arc. That could mean it is switching EA in the future...

Reactions: TheKrell
I know. Originally the guy said they would ship out the 2 receivers and we would just junk the others. Then he says he needs to send out a tech and it wont let him override it which I argued with because as I told the guy "my son" (again I said I was my dad) would hook it up. If they are sending out 311's its a simple swap.

There are no separators in the setup. Its a DP Twin to 2 DP34 switches. 2 cables to the 625, 2 to the 322, 1 each to the 2 301's. When we upgraded the 2 301's to the 625 and the 322 a few years ago I junked the DP Quad we had for the 2 DP34 switches.

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious. But it is almost midnight and I have class in the morning. Have a goodnight.

interesting. My dad forwarded me the 4 emails he got from dish
-2 are install confirmations
-the other 2 say they disconnected a 301 & a 301a and lists the R #'s. I doubt they "disconnected" them as my dad would have called me when he tried to use it

I did find this funny at the end

If you do not have to return your equipment, please do not attempt to sell it. This equipment is obsolete and cannot be used by another DISH customer

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious.
so I talked to my dad yesterday and apparently Dish likes to throw money away (or make installers do tedious things)
Guy showed up 1/2 hour after he said he would (he called and said 35 minutes....it was over an hour later) and he brought 2 311's. Hooked up the two and got them activated and that was it. He said the guy was there less than an hour because one receiver had delays getting the software update

Dish could have EASILY sent the receivers out for self install.

Sounds about right, but I still say the rep likely set it up wrong. Nothing you, your dad, or the tech did wrong... Just someone who likely didn't understand his job fully. That said, there are still many scenarios I can be wrong about this, but generally speaking, I'm not.

so I talked to my dad yesterday and apparently Dish likes to throw money away (or make installers do tedious things)
Guy showed up 1/2 hour after he said he would (he called and said 35 minutes....it was over an hour later) and he brought 2 311's. Hooked up the two and got them activated and that was it. He said the guy was there less than an hour because one receiver had delays getting the software update

Surprised they didn't give him 211's

I got one of the postcards yesterday. We have two 301s and one 508 dvr. I live near Knoxville, TN (zip=37748) and do not know what arc I'm on (I'm very untechnical, like your dad!). Would a tech have to come out to my house? Are the "newer generation receivers" HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts