Return to dish or not

johnny58259

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Ok I kinda want to return to dish but don't know wheather to get hopper or not. I know dish is still trying to work out bugs with the hopper. Another ? Is if I get one hopper from dish and one Joey from dish if I want another hopper would I be charged the whole home fee on both hoppers or just one of them? Plus what's the early termination fee with dish?

The DISH Hopper might just be the closest thing we have to a perfect DVR on the market today.

It's not perfect but its worlds better then anything else I have ever used before and it keeps getting better.

The DISH Hopper might just be the closest thing we have to a perfect DVR on the market today.

It's not perfect but its worlds better then anything else I have ever used before and it keeps getting better.
I agree, it is by far the best DVR system I have had. There are some minor issues, which they all have, but the good FAR outweighs any bad.

Hopper by far is the best DVR I have used so far and better than any other DVR on the market just my 2 cents.. There are some issue but some of those are with installs and some with how folks are trying to set them up. Yes there are some bugs but that normal with any new product but I think Dish does the best job at addressing those and adding things like features so forth better than anyone..

I guess it depends on a couple things.

How much ETF do you have left?

Does Dish have all or at least the majority of the channels you want?

I keep looking at switching, and if I do it now, I'll have a fairly hefty ETF. But the savings offset all of it and still leaves some money on the table.

ETF is $17.50/mo AFAIK.

Whole Home/DVR is $10.00/mo and each Hopper/Joey is $7.00/mo with the first one included in the pkg. I pay $31.00/mo for HD/DVR/rental for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys with auto pay.

They're great systems, especially for being new. Dish is obviously working hard to ensure their success. There have been 5 SW upgrades since their March intro.

One more thing the amc dispute is not a big thing but what if the same thing happens with other channels and they don't get them back that's another problem.

Also does anyone know of the new dish promotion starting in August is it better or worse than the one going on now

Scott which do you prefer dish or direct for technology and do u by chance know the new promo coming out August 1st for dish

Features of the hopper are great if your only use 2 tv's any more it would be best to get 2 hoppers.

The current beta whole home for DTV using HMC and "Deca" boxes works much like the hopper with apps but is having issues when using two HMC. Plus if your currently on DTV it will cost you an arm and leg to get an upgrade so it would be better to take the Dish with more HD channels if sports is not your main programing.

I'm thinking that way rocket. I've had dish in the past and the 722 dvr worked great plus ota and I noticed a little cheaper with the 722k than the hopper I know one room would be standard tho but I would love to get my hands on the hopper but it's a little more expensive

So if I paid my early termination fee with directv I would be making a wise choice?
What's the reason for the move? Price? Overall dissatifaction? Need to make changes and don't want to extend contract? Need a particular channel? Have a fetish for Kangaroos?

I know there are fanatics on both sides of the fence, and I will admit to generally liking Dish DVRs better, but I don't think I would switch with an ETF unless I had a compelling reason.

What's the reason for the move? Price? Overall dissatifaction? Need to make changes and don't want to extend contract? Need a particular channel? Have a fetish for Kangaroos?

I know there are fanatics on both sides of the fence, and I will admit to generally liking Dish DVRs better, but I don't think I would switch with an ETF unless I had a compelling reason.

In general, I would agree with your point. Paying an ETF seems like such a waste of money. But then, you do the math. Here's mine as I ponder a switch, and this assumes that both have almost all the channels I would watch in HD, which is the case.

DirecTV : Current
3 HR24s Lease : $12
Premier : $120
DVR+MRV : $11

Grand total : $143 (OK, it is just $142.99)

New Dish:
Hopper + 1 Joey Lease : $7
Everything : $105
Sports Pack : $6 (I think that's right, just to match the sports in Premier)
DVR+MRV : $10

Grand Total : $128 (Save $15/month all the time)
Grand Total First year : $95 (Save $45/month)

So even paying an ETF of $240, which is where I'm at, still save $300 in the first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)