Revamping my setup - what do I need?

trafter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I am currently running a Dish 6000 in the master, a 508 in the guest room, and a 942 downstairs (in single mode). Due to the odd construction of the house, I am currently running the tv for the 508 off a wireless. What I would like to do is to set up another 942 in the master and run the wireless off of that and get rid of the 508, thus saving $5 per month. I am currently using a legacy 2 dish solution looking at 61.5. I want to be able to use the DPP separator in the master bedroom. Does this mean that I need to change out all of the LNB's and purchase a DPP44 switch? Can this switch go outside where my current sw64 is? Does it need a power source hooked directly to it or does it use an injector like the sw64? Howmuch am I looking at spending (outside of the 942, of course)?

Thanks in advance.

If I understand you right, you don't need a DPP44 as long as you don't have a SuperDish. If you have only a Dish500 and a wing dish at 61.5, all you really need to run two 942s is a DPP Twin and a DP Single or Dual for the wing. The DPP Twin has an input for the wing dish and two outputs. You would need a DPP separator for both 942s. That's if I understood that you want to replace the 6000 and 508 with a 942. If you had a phone line connected to the 942, you would save $5 per month. You're looking at $80-90 retail from dishstore.net for the LNBs.

You you want more than two receivers, you need a DPP44. It can replace the SW64 and it uses a power injector.

trafter said:
... set up another 942 in the master and run the wireless off of that and get rid of the 508, thus saving $5 per month.
Only if you have America's Everything Pack and keep the 942 connected to a phone line. With any package under AEP Dish will charge a $4.98 DVR fee for for each DVR (violation of the Residential Customer Agreement Part F). If no phone line you'll be charged an additional outlet fee (only applies to dual-tuner dual-output receivers).

I currently subscribe to AEP, HD pack, Voom and local channels. I can use a wireless jack for the phone connection. If I ever build my own house, there will be a minimum of a phone line, cable run and CAT5 connection in every singel room. Damn the shortsightedness!

If I use the DP twin solution, I will be limited to only two receivers. Is that correct? I'm thinking of finishing the basement and would like to set something up down there and would just as soon do everything one time. So is my first setup what I would need?

Thanks for the help.

trafter said:
If I use the DP twin solution, I will be limited to only two receivers. Is that correct?
No. It's exactly as kavula said in post #2. The DP Twin and DPP Twin are 2 different things (click "here's why" in my sig then scroll up). When the DPP Twin's input is used it is limited to 2 receivers. That can include up to 1 legacy receiver or 2 dual tuner models (except the 721 unless it ever gets upgraded from L175). The DP Twin can feed 2 tuners directly or up to 12 receivers when run through external switches (DP34 or DPP44). When an external switch is connected to the DPP Twin its input is disabled, making it function as a DP Twin, and the side dish is connected to the switch instead.

For two 942s get the DPP Twin. Once you add another receiver you will have to add a switch. That will be the DPP44 because you need to take advantage of the DP Separator. If you want to do it all up front so you can simply plug in the new receiver when the time comes, get a DP Twin and the DPP44. Run 3 lines from the dishes to the DPP44 at your central wiring point. Run a line from there to each room you might want to have Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)