Reverse HIC configuration?

KevinRL

Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
USA
I have a Dish hopper with 2 Joeys a 16Mbps cable internet. However cable modem, wireless router and primary Desktop PC share an office that has only a single coax outlet (no Cat5 or telephone). Hopper is in a living room at the opposite side of the 2 story house. Living room has 2 coax outlets near Hopper. It appears a major problem to run any additional cabling to either room. Connecting existing coax in various permutations is very easy as they all meet a single box.

Tech said HIC cannot share cable modem coax line. Powerline bridges proved faster than wireless but both are slow. Seems like a 2 HIC solution might beat both.

If I purchased 2 HICS. Moved cable modem and router to living room where there are 2 coax connections available. Split the Hopper line with a Tap to HIC 1. It seems I could keep separation of cable modem and Moca network, create optimum internet download speed to Hopper and still have Desktop PC on a wired connection through HIC 2.

Would this work and be the best performing solution?
Perhaps it is all overkill compared to moving the modem/router close to the Hopper and limiting the Desktop PC to a wireless connection.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Theoretically it should work however it is unsupported and I'm not sure if it would cause issues (say you are downloading a lot while watching TV from a Joey) but given that my Joey on 802.11n has no issues when I am downloading from multiple PCs, since MoCA has even more bandwidth I'd say not a big chance of issues.

Be sure and report back with us if you decide to try it out. I don't think I've seen many people talk about this at all.

I'd be interested in any updates on this. I'm considering playing around with an extra HIC in my setup.

I have my Hopper connected with HIC. I have a single coax wallfished to the Hopper on an exterior wall with no easy way to add an additional coax or cat5 (fishing the existing lines and speaker wire involved cutting out drywall and notching the top plates in the framing). HIC is installed on a dedicated client line in the basement. I have other components near the hopper I'd like to try and get a hard connection to instead of wifi. If I put a tap behind the hopper, install a 2nd HIC, to an ethernet switch, will that allow me further hard connections? It works when I think it through in my head. I may just do it and see what happens.

I'm interested to hear any thoughts.

I don't think that will work because i don' think there is bridging support that works in this manner. I would be intersted to find out if this works for you. But after thinking about this, I have a feeling this isn't going to work.

Making my first post from my laptop with wifi turned off. Put in the tap, client to HIC 2, ethernet off the HIC to a switch, to the laptop. Works fine.

Interestingly, ethernet off HIC 2 to hopper was DHCP only. Not sure if it was causing confusion with the MOCA or what was going on but I have internet with the laptop hardwired as I type.

I do something similar. I actually have 6 HICs to get internet to many of teh rooms in my house - lots of Coax cables but no CAT5 anywhere. I bought the HICs on ebay for $25 each. At first things would work for a while and then hopper/joey would disconnect and not be able to reconnect. I ended up placing a service call and the technician came over before I was able to dissassemble the unsupported config. He ended up disconnecting the HICs and leaving with them!. Once I managed to explained to DISH Network customer service that they had stolen from my house and had them return my HICs I tried splitting the cable to connect to Joey and HIC whereas before I'd been using the passthru connection on the HIC. That seems to have worked and now everything works and is stable. Much cheaper than having the house rewired or even buying my own MOCA or powerline hardware. Speed seems great also. Happy camper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts