Review: AT&T U-VERSE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
2 hd streams here in chicago, and the word is 4 streams coming after the first of the year..

Do you know where I can find some more info and demo the U-Verse system in Chicago (NW)?
They just installed these contraptions on the corner of my block which I take is a VRAD and started sending me the usual spam about it.
I currently have Dish which I love and AT&T DSL which is slow.
I want to find out more details on the stream/DVR options as I currently have 2 722 DVRs and can record up to 6 things at once. Also, I love the Dish Program guide with the big screen channel list option (7 channels per page) vs the Comcast one where they only give you 3 or 4 and ads (I hate ads). I mean, I can get comcast for free and still prefer paying $125 for Dish.

two good websites for more info:

U-talk Peer-to-Peer Forums - U-talk Peer-to-Peer Forums
www.uverseusers.com

not sure if going to an ATT store will yield a good experience; if the tv isn't adjusted properly, it will look lousy, and you wont be impressed..

1 hd dvr per house, 4 programs can be recorded at the same time; all the tv's in the house can watch or pause any recorded item; 4 of the same, or 4 different recordings at the same time.

Awesum "guide" function, has a great search tool to find when things or people are on tv, and NO ADS!!!

I had Dish/Direct TV, Comcrap, and every other service that has been around in the last 20 years, and UVerse so far is the most impressive...I have Internet, 18 meg download, UVoice VOIP, and the U300 package. I pay about 70 bucks a month less than I did for my Combo Dish/Comcrap/ATT landline, and have 6 HDTV's hooked up..

Check out those forums; they have the most info out there..

I had Dish/Direct TV, Comcrap, and every other service that has been around in the last 20 years, and UVerse so far is the most impressive...I have Internet, 18 meg download, UVoice VOIP, and the U300 package. I pay about 70 bucks a month less than I did for my Combo Dish/Comcrap/ATT landline, and have 6 HDTV's hooked up..

Check out those forums; they have the most info out there..

You have 6 HDTV's, but you can only watch HD on two of them at a time? Doesn't your Max 18 speed drop when you watch TV? U-verse does seem to have a pretty good HD channel selection.

Well, we only have 3 people in my household, and my wife never watches TV without me, so we never really have 2 HD TV channels on at the same time, let alone the desire to even have 3 hd streams at the same time..

If I turn all the tv's on at the same time, including 2 in HD, my speeds drop from around 17900 to about 15600....Around 10%. Most other folks have noted about the same result.
If just one tv is on while surfing the web, there really is no difference in web speed.

HD selection is really good, and I've had 2 months of trouble free service, with their phone, TV, and Internet service, so I am a happy camper.

I just got U-Verse 2 days ago and love the HD and SD picture on my Sony 40" LCD and my 92" Screen theater. Only one thing no one seems to be able to fix. that is the audio in my theater (5.1 ch) drops out every 22 seconds on all channels, including SD. Does anyone have any suggestions to try that the three techs haven't tried? We tried reseting the gateway, unplugging the gateway, and resetting the box itself. I'm using the optical link for the sound. Help! Dave

Back in November I posted these rates with my Uverse Elite Internet. I have been getting awesome download speeds ever since my install.

Now I go check my speed today and it dropped a lot. I understand that I am only paying for 6mbps but, what gives? I haven't made any changes to my plan or setup. Did at&t just find a mistake or should I call and see what gives? I am only 150-200 yards from the VRAD max.

either you were busted, or they did an update to your VRAD which "fixed" that..you still get more than what you pay for, so thats not too shabby..
if you call, they will say you pay for 6/1 service, so thats what you are getting..

either you were busted, or they did an update to your VRAD which "fixed" that..you still get more than what you pay for, so thats not too shabby..
if you call, they will say you pay for 6/1 service, so thats what you are getting..

Wase, I just did another speed test and got even lower. What is happening? I thought DSL was "constant" or "consistant" speed? What do you make of this?

Last edited:
well, you rarely get 100% of your rated speed; ISP's always rate your speed as "up to__", its never a guarantee of 100% of the rated speed..
I pay for 18 meg service, and I get between 17200-17900, so I am happy with that.
You just got spoiled before, sort of like a "free" upgrade.
If you pay for 6 meg service, and are getting 5827, that is still 97% of your max rated speed, which, is pretty good, if you ask me...especially, since, unlike cable providers, that speed is always going to be that much, regardless of how many others on your "node" are on the internet..
When I had Comcrap, my speeds would drop 30-50% during the evening, when everyone in the area would get home and get on the internet..

Yea, I see your point. I just got "spoiled" like you said. 10 mbps was nice. I want that back but can't justify an extra $20 a month for it right now with the economy being how it is.

I just got Netflix too. Eventually I'm gonna start streaming more Netflix and soon HD. Right now it isn't that bad being that everything is SD but, when I can stream Netflix HD content do you think the 6 mbps is going to be a problem?

no; the only problem with Netflix will be if ATT implements "Caps" on their service...you could max out on your monthly "allowance" pretty quickly if you watch alot of HD streaming video..

I hope this hasn't been addressed in this thread recently, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea if or when Brevard County, Florida, might be on U-Verse's list for availability?

Thanks very much for any info.

Happy Holidays!

have you tried looking to see if they are installing a VRAD in your area?
Its a sure sign that Uverse is coming...

Calling ATT and asking is a waste of time, but I think you can get on a email list so they contact you when its in your area..

I hope this hasn't been addressed in this thread recently, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea if or when Brevard County, Florida, might be on U-Verse's list for availability?

Thanks very much for any info.

Happy Holidays!

AT&T is very secretive about this. If you start to see additional panel type equipment (VRADs) similar to the pictures that have been posted in previous posts, also installation of new underground cables, then you would know that they are laying out the network. In some areas they add these VRADs alongside other existing telephone panel equipment. I have seen clusters of four Panels together.

Hope this helps.:)

After having Uverse for a full month, I am extremely pleased with it. (Bloomfield Hills, MI)

The install went well. My house is a sprawling ranch w/ no crawlspace or basement, so there was a lot of outdoor work for the installer (on a side note, he looked just like Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys). Took him about 7 hours to get it all done with some assistance from me.

He gave me the URL so I can get in and fiddle with the 2wire and setup my static IP and port forwarding properly, as well as change my passwords.

Picture quality has been outstanding on my 65 inch rear projection and 42" LCD. I did a quick comparison between an OTA broadcast of CSI Miami and Uverse HD broadcast. There seemed to be no difference at all. On my daughter's 21 inch Gateway monitor, she can now watch HD, but I have nothing to compare it to since she was on a SD signal before.

The DVR is slightly wonky in that once you finish a program and erase it, you have to exit back to the menu flow to watch a different program.

The Total Home DVR has worked fine as well. W/o hiccup.

With Michigan's inclement weather, I have predictably had no problems as I would have if I kept DirecTV.

AND... As f'd up as D*'s billing has been (their online system always makes it look like you are behind on your bill and is hard to decipher), I somehow got away with not owing a penny. They actually owed me $6.

Soon after the install, I realized that for $20 more I could get MAX DSL with 18 mbps (is that right? I never say or type it right) down. This still keeps me at $45 less than the similar bundle I had between D* and At and T prior.

The added bandwidth is great since I work remotely over VPN quite a bit and am a big fan of digital distribution of media purchases as well as a downloader of Linux Distros.

All in all, everythign is rosy. I waited a full month to post after watching this thread for MONTHS while waiting for the Total Home DVR to be introduced.

Only thing that could make me happier is to reprogram my brain on the new channel #'s already :) .

have you tried looking to see if they are installing a VRAD in your area?
Its a sure sign that Uverse is coming...

Calling ATT and asking is a waste of time, but I think you can get on a email list so they contact you when its in your area..

If you go to the uverse att website you can also check for availability.
You can also sign up for them to send you an email when it's available ...
I would think you would know ahead of time , quicker using the Check availability page than wait for the email though.

Jimbo

good point; by the time you get an email from them though, someone will have either knocked or your door or tele-marketed you about it..
they are a marketing machine once they come to your area...

After having Uverse for a full month, I am extremely pleased with it. (Bloomfield Hills, MI)

The install went well. My house is a sprawling ranch w/ no crawlspace or basement, so there was a lot of outdoor work for the installer (on a side note, he looked just like Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys). Took him about 7 hours to get it all done with some assistance from me.

He gave me the URL so I can get in and fiddle with the 2wire and setup my static IP and port forwarding properly, as well as change my passwords.

Picture quality has been outstanding on my 65 inch rear projection and 42" LCD. I did a quick comparison between an OTA broadcast of CSI Miami and Uverse HD broadcast. There seemed to be no difference at all. On my daughter's 21 inch Gateway monitor, she can now watch HD, but I have nothing to compare it to since she was on a SD signal before.

The DVR is slightly wonky in that once you finish a program and erase it, you have to exit back to the menu flow to watch a different program.

The Total Home DVR has worked fine as well. W/o hiccup.

With Michigan's inclement weather, I have predictably had no problems as I would have if I kept DirecTV.

AND... As f'd up as D*'s billing has been (their online system always makes it look like you are behind on your bill and is hard to decipher), I somehow got away with not owing a penny. They actually owed me $6.

Soon after the install, I realized that for $20 more I could get MAX DSL with 18 mbps (is that right? I never say or type it right) down. This still keeps me at $45 less than the similar bundle I had between D* and At and T prior.

The added bandwidth is great since I work remotely over VPN quite a bit and am a big fan of digital distribution of media purchases as well as a downloader of Linux Distros.

All in all, everythign is rosy. I waited a full month to post after watching this thread for MONTHS while waiting for the Total Home DVR to be introduced.

Only thing that could make me happier is to reprogram my brain on the new channel #'s already :) .

Imhad been informed that we have 18 in some areas, but your the first one I have seen that actually has it, thats great, I'm down the road outside of Toledo, Ohio

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts