review of fta receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roni

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I am looking for reviews and opinions of fta recievers. I am looking for the most for my money and I need your help to do this. I would like to get into fta as a hobby. I am looking for a receiver that is under $100 but I would be willing to look at any of them that are under $125. I need this receiver to be easy to use as I am just learning. I have read that blind search is a must have. I see that the Nuesat 6000 uses a usb drive to update the software. I would like reviews with facts on why one receiver is better or worst then the other. Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you very soon as I plan to purchase a receiver asap. Happy watching.

Last edited:
Roni,

Depends on your needs - for a simple single unit Microyal is my favorite, I have a 900 and love it.

For motorized systems you have a lot of options - I use a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra and I like it, but will be looking soon to upgrade.

I love my Traxis 3500.

They cost a bit more than $100. But they are a reasonably priced receiver.

If you want to go with the cheapest you can buy look at ebay for a Pansat, or look into getting a Coolsat clone.

Fortec Classic NA is a basic receiver for newbie, like myself when I first started... very simple menu system to use...

Pansat 2700a.

I have used mine for over a year and have found it to be a very capable FTA reciever. Blind scan is good, AC-3 works well via SPDIF (coax). The universal remote is a nice feature, and I find the layout on the remote easier to use than the universal remote that came with my Fortec Mercury II. USALS and diseqc motor modes are supported.

The downfalls? The clock SUCKS, so if you have to have timers, look elsewhere.

Pansat 2700a.

I have used mine for over a year and have found it to be a very capable FTA reciever. Blind scan is good, AC-3 works well via SPDIF (coax). The universal remote is a nice feature, and I find the layout on the remote easier to use than the universal remote that came with my Fortec Mercury II. USALS and diseqc motor modes are supported.

I, too, have the 2700. Nice little box, I just wish I could trade it for a 2800 (for component out :) )

The clock on the 2700 can be fixed with an update from Pansat. Mine has worked ever since.

The timers still don't work, but at least the clock keeps time :)
Other than that I am satisfied with the Pansat 2700, works great.

go here for the updated software:

pansatusa.com/download.htm

Pansat 2700a.

Drhydo, I got a Pansat 2700a, too. I am trying to figure out how to get the AC-3 on the PBS channels (IF I could get them in on my ststem). What is the SPDIF coax and how is it hooked up?
I have a good clock on my receiver. the clock on my Pansat 200v sucks.
Thanks, MrFTAMan

I am trying to figure out how to get the AC-3 on the PBS channels (IF I could get them in on my ststem). What is the SPDIF coax and how is it hooked up?

On the back of the 2700, there are RCA connectors for video out and left and right analog audio out. There is another RCA connector for SPDIF digital audio output, which is the one immediately to the left of the video output. You would connect an RCA cable between this output and a digital input of a Dolby Digital-equipped audio receiver.

On the back of the 2700, there are RCA connectors for video out and left and right analog audio out. There is another RCA connector for SPDIF digital audio output, which is the one immediately to the left of the video output. You would connect an RCA cable between this output and a digital input of a Dolby Digital-equipped audio receiver.

Thanks for the info, Tron!
Now, I will try to find me the dolby digital audo receiver to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info, Tron!
Now, I will try to find me the dolby digital audo receiver to use. Any suggestions?

Most current component stereo amps/receivers will decode Dolby Digital (AC-3).

Creative Labs made a device called the Extigy (in reality, an external soundcard for PCs) that will also decode Dolby Digital. They can be found cheaply on Fleabay...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)