Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
another "quirk" (nuisance)

Renaming channels is useless on some sats. The "blind scan boogie" sats (72,74,79,91,105 as example) dont bother renaming channels because if it rescans the TP it puts the old name back

I renamed "service 1" on 74W as ONN. Blind scanned and now it shows "Service 1" again.

sats like 125W which (for at me at least) I dont blind scan very often I will rename the chanenls but the others I'll leave as is :)

yes I did

I went into "TP list" and edited the frequency and polarity. Exited out and the test card was on the new parameters. Originally it shows 12134 V 3978. After the change and backing out it now showed 12182 H 3978

Its just like the Coolsat 5000 (and 6000) where if you change the TP parameters it logs the channel that way when you back out. A Pansat keeps the original channel

Today I had the first lock-up ever since upgrading to the new firmware. And, it's repeatable. There's a 720p feed on 74W at 12160H SR 29269 that keeps locking it up. It won't do it 100% of the time, but it does it a lot more than not.

I dont have lockups on that but I get the st-st-stuttering like a high bitrate channel does. Been "watching" for about 5 minutes now and was able to flip over to another channel

new "feature" (I guess)
If you scroll on the channel list to only show one satellite (say 91W) after you scan a satellite you dont get the whole list back. Its just the channels for that satellite.

I think the Coolsat after blind scan defaults to all channels again

on the negative there is no "sat" button so you have to scroll through each sat. This can suck if you are on 91 or 93W and you want "all" which is before your first sat (for me thats 72W)

so it goes
ALL
then each sat in your list in order of how they are put in (for me its 72W)
last sat (for me 129W)
then back to ALL

DVBWorld answered they "will consider" developing actual LAN functionality. In practical terms it may mean a 6-to-12-month lag if ever. Currently it has none, and seems to play nothing via the USB port either except own recorded content, but I haven't seen any reports saying it does it well. It should display at least Jpeg files via USB though, and depending on audio codecs included hopefully play some common audio file formats at a future point. ;)

Thanks for the info. LAN streaming would be a huge plus. Even for the non-pc folks, you could still stream it to another STB (i.e. AZBOX). As long as you could lock the signals and send the stream across the LAN, there wouldn't be any playback issues for 4.2.2 or highbit rate. a top notch pc could do that :)

Not really looking for the all of the media functions as the AZBOX does, just looking for means to pid stream across the lan, remote access to box (how cool would it be to log into the box from a remote location and stream it to yourself across the net; a FTA slingbox :) )

Lan streaming would also enable you to record on another PC, eliminating recording space issues.

Hoping that dvbworld takes a nice long look at adding LAN fuctionality :)

another "quirk" (nuisance)

Renaming channels is useless on some sats. The "blind scan boogie" sats (72,74,79,91,105 as example) dont bother renaming channels because if it rescans the TP it puts the old name back

Wow, that sucks. I hadn't tried renaming anything yet because I was expecting lots of firmware updates. I just assumed that it wouldn't replace the names when it re-scans them, because it keeps the "skip" flag if you set that.

Wow, that sucks. I hadn't tried renaming anything yet because I was expecting lots of firmware updates. I just assumed that it wouldn't replace the names when it re-scans them, because it keeps the "skip" flag if you set that.

The "skip" flag?
Please explain :)

I did rename the PBS stuff on 125W since I dont blind scan that much :)

I dont have lockups on that but I get the st-st-stuttering like a high bitrate channel does. Been "watching" for about 5 minutes now and was able to flip over to another channel

I have the same stuttering, now that it's quit locking up long enough to watch. When I first scanned it in this morning, they seemed to be pausing and jumping around in the video, but it kept locking up the SatHawk when they did. Same as before basically, except this is the first time I've seen it since the upgrade.

new "feature" (I guess)
If you scroll on the channel list to only show one satellite (say 91W) after you scan a satellite you dont get the whole list back. Its just the channels for that satellite.

Mine behaved like that with the earlier version, at least sometimes. When I had up to 4 satellites in the list, it always exited to the list for the satellite I just scanned. But then I added a 5th satellite (not another port, just moved a dish) and all of a sudden it would exit to the "all" list, no matter which satellite I scanned. Deleted the 5th satellite when I was done with the feed on it, and it went back exiting to the correct list. Weird and stupid. I haven't added any more satellites since I upgraded the firmware, but I may try later today.

As long as you could lock the signals and send the stream across the LAN, there wouldn't be any playback issues for 4.2.2 or highbit rate.
That would be the key marketing point for DVBWorld to invest in developing these features, which hopefully won't span beyond the projected lifespan of this receiver. ;) Having said that, developing new functionality is not that fast and easy as fixing most of plentiful UI and file saving bugs and deficiencies here and there. And it requires sound Linux knowledge from coders, real 100 mB/s Ethernet support from the LAN chipset used and familiarity with its commands set.

Last edited:
another oddity (compared to my other two HD receivers)

scanned in the FSSN for the bball games today. The FSSN only uses LEFT audio (right audio is for cue tones for the cable companies to start broadcast end broadcast)...anywho selected LEFT audio and I only have left audio through both speakers on the TV through HDMI. The azbox and CS8000 cant distinguish left only or right only on HDMI so even if I select LEFT only my HDTV only plays it through the left side. The rca plugs distinguish it and puts left only audio through both outputs. This might be happening because unlike the 8000 & azbox the Sathawk cant output AC-3 through the RCA or HDMI (for the TV to play it).

On the positive, unlike the azbox I can watch it via HDMI whilke recording via a/v plugs with no "protected content" error :)

just did the latest update when it got to 60% on Burnflash it stop and hasn't moved for awhile does this update takes more time than the first or is there something going wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)