Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CopyKat, Thanks for the info. The remote is clumsy for sure. I noticed the "OK" on the center button is already wearing off lol....With some decent firmware they'd sell a lot of these receivers for the money. Blind

-The teletext implementation is fast and the color buttons on the remote control are conveniently placed for their functions in the menus.

What channels carry teletext viewable from North America?

-All recording is done in TP format with no menu item to change to PS format.

Damn, I hadn't noticed that they removed that. I wonder why, and would they be willing to put it back? It was nice to have the PS files, they would play on a computer with no modifications. Although, PS format was ignored when recording MPEG4.

-To change a ".dvr" TP file into a format that most media programs will recognize, use a hex editor to delete the first 65535 bytes of the file and change the filename extension to ".ts".

I think in the other thread, someone posted a program that would do the conversion for you, but I haven't tested it. I think it was from one of the clones of this receiver.

-As of this writing AC3 raw data is not output on the coaxial S-PDIF port on channels with AC3 audio.

I've never tried the S/PDIF port, but it works over HDMI. You've set it to bitstream under the "tv system" menu, right? (The presence of this menu item is stupid, as it won't decode AC3 to LPCM despite what the manual says.)

Earlier I mentioned I was having trouble with my record function - in further testing, it seems to only happen when I try to record ABC HD on Galaxy 16C. :confused:
All the other channels I've tried on multiple sats, both HD and SD, seem to record and play back fine.
I've done a reset and reloaded the firmware (325) to no avail.

Could someone else try recording this channel to a USB HDD and see what happens?

I see what you are talking about.
The record function appears to work on this channel, but no file or other information is saved. It seems I remember reading that this receiver would not record some HD formats or high bit rates.

-As of this writing AC3 raw data is not output on the coaxial S-PDIF port on channels with AC3 audio. (It did, however, work on an 8PSK channel that was breaking up, but this only happened one time and I have not been able to duplicate it on either that one channel or any strong and steady channel. Hopefully just a software issue, because I know from that one time that the hardware is capable and all other audio outputs just fine on that port.)

The S-PDIF works.
To make it work, Pres Menu--->System Setup---TV System. Then change the Digital Audio Out to BS Out

I see what you are talking about.
The record function appears to work on this channel, but no file or other information is saved. It seems I remember reading that this receiver would not record some HD formats or high bit rates.

The S-PDIF works.
To make it work, Pres Menu--->System Setup---TV System. Then change the Digital Audio Out to BS Out

Thanks Greg - nice to know I'm not going nuts :D

I have been spending some time organizing stations found into the favorites and was wondering if there is a easy way to back it up if something goes wrong with it.I have heard that if you do a firmware update all must be re entered again which would be a bit of a pain.

I have been spending some time organizing stations found into the favorites and was wondering if there is a easy way to back it up if something goes wrong with it.I have heard that if you do a firmware update all must be re entered again which would be a bit of a pain.

rs-232 will save your data with any firmware.

What channels carry teletext viewable from North America?
BFBS over on NSS-806 at 40.5W can be seen in Eastern NA. Carries BBC CeeFax and BFBS Text on all video channels. Arirang TV at 58W has subtitles in several languages if you want to test that, too.
I think in the other thread, someone posted a program that would do the conversion for you, but I haven't tested it. I think it was from one of the clones of this receiver.
It's called A200_Ariva_TS_Tool. I haven't tested it just yet...
I've never tried the S/PDIF port, but it works over HDMI. You've set it to bitstream under the "tv system" menu, right? (The presence of this menu item is stupid, as it won't decode AC3 to LPCM despite what the manual says.)
I set it to BS and it still doesn't work. All other audio works fine. Could it be my audio receiver not liking what the receiver is sending? AC3 coaxial works fine with my Pansat 330A...

I've come to the conclusion that my Sherwood RD-6108 doesn't like whatever is coming from the SatHawk/Solomend's coaxial output when on an AC3 channel.

I had a look at the coaxial output of the Pansat 330A and the Solomend on a spectrum analyzer and noticed that while the Pansat signal is slightly lower right next to the baseline signal, the Solomend signal a couple of millimeters lower on the trace (unscientific measuring--don't really know what I'm seeing or how to interpret it).

The Sherwood likes the Pansat's AC3 signal, but not the Solomend's. Both receivers look the same on the SA on normal PCM.

Time for a new audio receiver? Guess so...

Thanks Sadoun

The SatHawk may not perfect yet, but it has taken me back to the fun I had in this hobby years ago. :D

WOW, page 100.

I have found the sathawk great for pointing dishes and finding s2 signals, both blind scan or entering in the tp data and moving the dish around. quick signal meter (could be bigger) and auto pilot / fec is nice.

Nothing to say about the sathawk. Just wanted to post on page 100. I lost all hopes already about fixes for sathawk. For all these 100 pages of discussion, what good has come out of it? - Nothing !

Just got mine in yesterday and this thread helped me get started. I've already pointed it between 72-91 and I'm scanning in things left and right. It's working great for me. It took a LOT of time to get used to, but being home sick from the office this week has provided the space I needed to get into it. Looking forward to any enhancements or fixes that might come down the pipe, but aside from not having 4:2:2 and having the worst remote control I've ever had to hold, this box works for me. I'm sure a Harmony remote purchase is in my future, and that'll take care of at least one issue I had.

Byron

Nothing to say about the sathawk. Just wanted to post on page 100. I lost all hopes already about fixes for sathawk. For all these 100 pages of discussion, what good has come out of it? - Nothing !

heh if you change your settings you can have it down to 34 pages like I do
I have it set for 30 posts per page ;)

Anybody notice their sathawk making a little noise from the power supply when it is standby or is it just me?

Guys,
For those who want to use the C/Ku lnb on a single motorized dish with this receiver, I have a work around that should work with a 22k switch and a motor.

1. First, connect both terminals from the lnbs to the 22k switch. ( I'll advice you not to use a Universal ku lnb.)
2. From 22khz switch connect to motor or to Gbox.
3. Setup Antenna as " Motor Antenna" on Receiver
4. Configure the lnb as Universal lnb but change the values from 9750/10600 to 5150/10600 ( if ku lnb is universal) or to 5150/10750 ( if ku lnb is standard)
5. Now Blindscan

Let me know if you have any questions

Hey Sanjap,

Thanks for the tip.

I finally got my receiver today. After fixing a cracked trace on the power supply, switching the cord over and fixing the broken card slot door. Im ready to play!

I cant figure out how to change the lo/high freq though. I have a pull down that lets me select a Ku Universal but I cant alter the Lo freq. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

I am new to this hobby. If i use a rs-232 cable to dump the firmware to my pc will it save all my sat positions? I am using DISEqC 1.2 to control my motor & have all the sats dialed in. Thanks for any help.

Hey Sanjap,

Thanks for the tip.

I finally got my receiver today. After fixing a cracked trace on the power supply, switching the cord over and fixing the broken card slot door. Im ready to play!

I cant figure out how to change the lo/high freq though. I have a pull down that lets me select a Ku Universal but I cant alter the Lo freq. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Ago,
You are right. You can't change the frequency on the lnb types. The idea came to me while at work, and I went home to realize it couldn't be done. I forgot to withdraw my suggestions. I am sorry for misleading.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone ever have a problem with floating platforms messing up the dish?

Royal Pain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts