Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Of course, JTAG is useless unless you have a complete dump of another box with similar peripherals. Im assuming the Solomend isnt a trailblazer and essentially copied a reference design from Ali or another box maker.

Of course, JTAG is useless unless you have a complete dump of another box with similar peripherals. Im assuming the Solomend isnt a trailblazer and essentially copied a reference design from Ali or another box maker.

you are probly correct. it seems there are a few names for the same reciever. all are probly based on the reference design and software and badged with different names. itd be nice if someone in north america was given source code to support. its funny how there were coders for the pirates.... but there is never anyone to fix the legit bugs.

crackt out,.

The solomend uses this exact block design. cc from the Ali website.

Attachments

• Solomend.jpg
    Solomend.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Hey Crackt, Ya I know where are all thes freelance coders when you need them!!.

Sanjap, Thanks for the block diagram but that doesnt cut it. Here is an example of a datasheet for specific part from a 8-bit arch of microcontrollers.

xxx.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/35007b.pdf

You would figure datasheets/white papers and arch. manuals would be available online for this stuff but nada. I was looking for info on some Broadcom and ST DVB SoC's about a month ago and didnt have any luck either. Im used to Mchp and and Atmel, where you have access to all info and tools right from the get-go.

Anyway if anybody out there stumbled on anything useful while researching the Solomend, please let me know.

M3602's on Alibaba

When I browse through Alibaba, I see alot of Ali 3602 STB's. Chieta, Winpal,SMT and Skyworth. Does anybody know of any sites that post firmware for these boxes?

Being straight up Chinese knock-off's, they prob. arent code protected by any microcontroller and might be able load onto a Solomend.

I am now thinking fixing the motor/switch issue on this receiver is just a matter of changing the menus of the main software only.

Reason, i say so is because using a universal lnb with motor on this receiver works pretty well. All Universal Lnbs have a 22khz switch in them and by selecting the lnb type as universal, the receiver automatically switches the 22khz switch between both LO frequencies.

So am confident, this receiver can control both motor and switch at thesame time because it is working well with my universal lnb and motor.

So my conclusion is that it is just a little tweak in menu that will fix the issue. Now why has this not been possible by the manufacturer given the interest in this receiver?

Terry, there are lots of things that this box will not do such as scan a skinny transponder(sr around 2000 or less). To me, most of what this box will not do are only nuisances because I can work around most of its problems. A satellite system that has a single lnb and a motorized dish should not have many problems with this box.

Let us look at your list of problems.
(1) "Move a dish, and work the switch at the same time."
True, you cannot actually use different switch settings and the motor at the same time, but you can use one diseqc switch setting for a motor and use the other diseqc switch positions for fixed dishes if you toggle back and forth between Fixed Antenna and Motor Antenna in the Antenna Connection menu.
The receiver will default to the last diseqc switch position you were using when you change from Fixed Antenna to Motor Antenna. As an example, I have my motorized ku lnb on diseqc port 2 and I have c band lnbs on diseqc ports 3 and 4. If I want to watch C band, I have to change to fixed antenna which allows the diseqc switch to work. If I want to use motorized ku, then I first need to select a ku satellite that is set to diseqc port 2 and then change to Motor Antenna in the Antenna Connection menu. This will allow my motor to move and I can view any satellite that is available with the diseqc port 2 lnb. If I change from Fixed Antenna to Motor Antenna while I am on a satellite that uses diseqc port 3, then ther motor will work but the switch will be stuck on port 3. So you can use this box with a switch and motor but it is aggravating. (There are other ways of using a switch and a motor but this one works the best for me.)
(2) Manual PID entry.
The receiver does not have provisions for this but there is a channel editor program available that works very well with this box. Manual channel entry plus other satellite information changes or additions are very easy to do with the editor. A computer serial port and a null RS232 cable are suggested to use the editor unless you want to modify and reload the firmware.
(3) 4.2.2.
This receiver cannot view 4:2:2
First thanks!

Ok now if I where to hook one of these up slaved to my 4Dtv, using the 4D as a mover I should not have any problems with the switch correct?

I think I could handle a channel editing program so no problem there.

So this box will do S2, and 8psk?

Thanks again
Terry

I am now thinking fixing the motor/switch issue on this receiver is just a matter of changing the menus of the main software only.

Reason, i say so is because using a universal lnb with motor on this receiver works pretty well. All Universal Lnbs have a 22khz switch in them and by selecting the lnb type as universal, the receiver automatically switches the 22khz switch between both LO frequencies.

So am confident, this receiver can control both motor and switch at thesame time because it is working well with my universal lnb and motor.

So my conclusion is that it is just a little tweak in menu that will fix the issue. Now why has this not been possible by the manufacturer given the interest in this receiver?

very true. Why cant they get it to work with a 22k and a motor?
The issue right now is the motor settings you can only have one LNB setting (well two with a Universal)....

I thought I'd try the idea that Greg had using the fixed and motorized settings in the receiver...easy enough just switch between the two. Well it seemed to work at first. Port 1 on my switch is for the SG2100 on KU. Port 2 is for Cband and my stand alone Gbox. I got all the KU sats loaded in the Sathawk seemed to work ok. I changed it back to fixed dish setting and had my Cband stuff. Problem was when I switched to motorized setting again it found none of my KU sats....I'm guessing the motor was out of alignment. Sometimes my SG2100 acts a little screwy too. Also the signal beep would have been nice if it worked. It would've been easier to find each sat. Lastly the "moving dish" is a pain as you're flipping thru various satellites as the receiver thinks it has to stop at each one. I might mess with it again tonight ....Blind

Last edited:
You may have to do some things when you switch back to ku motor or it won't work. Most of us use USALS. This receiver defaults to diseqc 1.2 when you change from fixed dish to motor dish.

(1) Select a ku satellite so the receiver will have the correct switch port.
(2) Go into the Antenna Setup menu and change from diseqc 1.2 to USALS.
(3) Scroll down to Motor Setting in the Antenna Setup menu and move the motor to the first satellite you want to view.

First thanks!

Ok now if I where to hook one of these up slaved to my 4Dtv, using the 4D as a mover I should not have any problems with the switch correct?

I think I could handle a channel editing program so no problem there.

So this box will do S2, and 8psk?

Thanks again
Terry

You should not have any problems switching satellites if another receiver is moving the dish.

Using the channel editor program should not be a problem for anybody here. It does take some time to understand it if you have never used an editor before.
The 402 file has a dump feature on it. This feature allows you to download the receiver's entire firmware file on an external usb or other hard drive. This makes channel editing possible without using a rs232 cable to transfer the information.
However, I prefer to use a serial port and a rs232 cable for channel editing. I think it is safer than downloading the entire firmware. If you lose power during a receiver firmware download, you can brick the receiver.

It does S2. I have not tried any 8psk channels, so I do not know about them. GregH

SatHawk DVR issue

For some reason when I try to record with my SatHawk, it shows that it's recording, but when I check the recording manager, it doesn't show up.:confused:
I've successfully recorded to my external HD before, so I'm a bit perplexed.
Any ideas?
I'm hoping to avoid resetting the unit and losing my data.

For some reason when I try to record with my SatHawk, it shows that it's recording, but when I check the recording manager, it doesn't show up.:confused:
I've successfully recorded to my external HD before, so I'm a bit perplexed.
Any ideas?
I'm hoping to avoid resetting the unit and losing my data.

Connect the external hard drive to your computer and see if the recorded file is on the hard drive. If the file is on the drive, then recheck where you are looking for it in the receiver's menu. The owner's manual gives a pretty good description of locating a recorded file.

It is a good idea to back the receiver's data up so it can be reloaded when needed.

Iceberg, here is another hd unit, but only mpeg2, read line 20

But when they say 22k does that mean just a UNiversal LNB?

All the other HD receivers I've worked with could work with a motor and a 22k for sure. Some worked with motor and Diseqc 1.1 if you wanted too :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts