Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Even Sadoun, mentioned this issue would be resolved and I doubt anybody knows more about the box then he does, afterall he does have alot of skin in the game.

Sadoun is just a retailer, not the manufacturer. I have talked with the manufacturer of this box in China and the motor/switch issue will need a new hardware design which is not worth it given the very small true FTA market. It is a good thing to be optimistic though. I am optimistic it will be fixed... but not anytime soon.

Hello Sanjap, Ive talked to them too, but remember Sadoun has a REAL business relationship with the factory. I remember reading, somewhere that Sadoun actually went to asia to audit and hammer out a deal. So there is a difference between one of us inquiring and being paid lip service vs. someone who is actually moving units in NA and did the legwork to get it done.

I remember reading, somewhere that Sadoun actually went to asia to audit and hammer out a deal. So there is a difference between one of us inquiring and being paid lip service vs. someone who is actually moving units in NA and did the legwork to get it done.

correct

Hello Sanjap, Ive talked to them too, but remember Sadoun has a REAL business relationship with the factory. I remember reading, somewhere that Sadoun actually went to asia to audit and hammer out a deal. So there is a difference between one of us inquiring and being paid lip service vs. someone who is actually moving units in NA and did the legwork to get it done.

I agree. bottom line is, if motor/switch issue was an easy fix, it would have been fixed already.

To put it simple, I think they embedded the motor and switch in the software where they can't easily change it. I don't look for it to get fixed anytime soon.

I agree. bottom line is, if motor/switch issue was an easy fix, it would have been fixed already.

id say that maybe the motor / switch may require some software redesign but the hardware is definately capable. i dont think that anyone is really writing fixes for this box. atleast not anyone who understands what needs to be fixed and how to go about it.

Hello Greg, Is source-code available?

the community would be lucky if there was.

crackt out,.

Ok so I have been reading, it sounds like the things this box will not do are:
Move a dish, and work the switch at the same time.
Manual PID entry.
Are there anything other things this box will not do?
Thanks
Terry

Need USA Closed Captioning system, not subtitling Europe's system since it's the law for ADA, by the FCC.:rant:

Best to keep both USA and Europe on Close Captioning and Europe;s Subtitling system.

So, please upgrade the software download sooner the better!!

I love the sathawk receiver and it's a great TV DXing fun!:)

Ok so I have been reading, it sounds like the things this box will not do are:
Move a dish, and work the switch at the same time.
Manual PID entry.
Are there anything other things this box will not do?
Thanks
Terry

Terry, there are lots of things that this box will not do such as scan a skinny transponder(sr around 2000 or less). To me, most of what this box will not do are only nuisances because I can work around most of its problems. A satellite system that has a single lnb and a motorized dish should not have many problems with this box.

Let us look at your list of problems.
(1) "Move a dish, and work the switch at the same time."
True, you cannot actually use different switch settings and the motor at the same time, but you can use one diseqc switch setting for a motor and use the other diseqc switch positions for fixed dishes if you toggle back and forth between Fixed Antenna and Motor Antenna in the Antenna Connection menu.
The receiver will default to the last diseqc switch position you were using when you change from Fixed Antenna to Motor Antenna. As an example, I have my motorized ku lnb on diseqc port 2 and I have c band lnbs on diseqc ports 3 and 4. If I want to watch C band, I have to change to fixed antenna which allows the diseqc switch to work. If I want to use motorized ku, then I first need to select a ku satellite that is set to diseqc port 2 and then change to Motor Antenna in the Antenna Connection menu. This will allow my motor to move and I can view any satellite that is available with the diseqc port 2 lnb. If I change from Fixed Antenna to Motor Antenna while I am on a satellite that uses diseqc port 3, then ther motor will work but the switch will be stuck on port 3. So you can use this box with a switch and motor but it is aggravating. (There are other ways of using a switch and a motor but this one works the best for me.)
(2) Manual PID entry.
The receiver does not have provisions for this but there is a channel editor program available that works very well with this box. Manual channel entry plus other satellite information changes or additions are very easy to do with the editor. A computer serial port and a null RS232 cable are suggested to use the editor unless you want to modify and reload the firmware.
(3) 4.2.2.
This receiver cannot view 4:2:2

Im willing to try to convert this thing when I get it. I can only hope that the Germans figure it out before I do and make my life a little easier!

Which receiver is the closest cousin to this?

I got this thing for a new minibud setup so this motor switch issue is a real pain, I dont want to use my Viewsat Extreme!

Digiwave 120cm dish
DMX241 C-Band LNB
DMS Switch
Inline amplifier
Spitfire Ku LNB
SG6000 Motor
Scalar Ring Kit

and....Solomend PVR800.

Ago,
How is the inline amplifier working for you? I tried it and got very bad results. It seems to amplify the noise instead.

For me the main issue with this box is motor/switch. The others are minor issues one can easily work around them.

(1) "Move a dish, and work the switch at the same time."
True, you cannot actually use different switch settings and the motor at the same time, but you can use one diseqc switch setting for a motor and use the other diseqc switch positions for fixed dishes if you toggle back and forth between Fixed Antenna and Motor Antenna in the Antenna Connection menu.
The receiver will default to the last diseqc switch position you were using when you change from Fixed Antenna to Motor Antenna.

What if you have multiple LNBs on a motorized dish? I'm assuming that you could drive the motor to the location you want and then switch to fixed dish to switch LNBs, but does it also work if you have the switch connected between the motor and the LNB or does the motor always need to be on one of the switch ports?

Ago,
How is the inline amplifier working for you? I tried it and got very bad results. It seems to amplify the noise instead.

For me the main issue with this box is motor/switch. The others are minor issues one can easily work around them.

Works OK for me, but I have a long cable run. What brand do you have? How long is your cable run (anything less then 100ft isnt recomended), how close is the amplifier to the LNB?

I have a ECODA EC-20AMP, amplifer.

Hey Sanjap,

Ya I know what you mean. I bought all this stuff to simplify my setup also I dont want to have multiple dishes, I was hoping to sidecar a Ku lnb to the Minibud and thats it. If I would have known about this issue before ordering one it would have been a dealbreaker, I would have got a knock-off DM800HD with the new tuner.

I havent received mine yet, but from what I have seen the hardware looks pretty good, its just the software thats seriously lacking.

Just shooting my mouth off but maybe they ripped off the firmware from somebody else, maybe they took it straight from a dev board/reference design put out by the chip maker. If its based off a reference design then it should be pretty easy to get our hands on source code!!

What if you have multiple LNBs on a motorized dish? I'm assuming that you could drive the motor to the location you want and then switch to fixed dish to switch LNBs, but does it also work if you have the switch connected between the motor and the LNB or does the motor always need to be on one of the switch ports?

If you had multiple lnbs on a motorized dish, you would need to select a satellite that has the correct switch port in Fixed Antenna, then change to Motor Antenna. The last used diseqc switch position is stored in the receiver when you change from Fixed Antenna to Motor Antenna.

I don't run a switch between the receiver and motor. It is always wired as: Receiver--->Motor--->Switch(if needed)--->LNB(s).

Did anybody come across any dev tools for the Ali M3602?

I sent Ali tw a request, but Ive been looking all over the net and havent found a thing.

Hello Mr. Crane,

I dont have any warranty worth mentioning, second Im not afraid of JTAG, Ive done it many, many times (Im a electronics technologist).

As long as I could get some white papers and tools I would be all over it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone ever have a problem with floating platforms messing up the dish?

Royal Pain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)