Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why does the Sat list only go down to 63w?.Looks like im going to need to manually add some.I do have the latest firmware installed.

What is the number of your firmware? The last one I have is 415.

There is a limited number of satellites that can be put in a file. They added C band satellites so that gave them less room. This may be why it quits at 63w.

Use the channel editor to make a custom list, Then you can carry your custom list and scanned satellites to any new upgrade file.

It would be nice if they would at least fix the motor switch issue. I looks like the North American market isn't their top priority. Don't FTA folks use a fixed/motorized system in other countries too? Blind

Afterthought: What about the VisionSat? units, can they record the High Bit Rate stuff.

The Visionsats will record MPEG-2 HD and 4:2:2 perfectly, even high bitrate feeds. There are two caveats:

- Visionsats will only tune MPEG-2 DVB-S, not S2.

- Since they are SD receivers, you won't be able to watch the video as you record it. You will be able to hear the sound, and you'll be able to watch it normally on a PC later, after it is recorded.

It would be nice if they would at least fix the motor switch issue. I looks like the North American market isn't their top priority. Don't FTA folks use a fixed/motorized system in other countries too? Blind

Other parts of the world have complained about this problem too.
They will have an extremely hard time fixing the motor switch issue if it is hard-coded in the receiver. Greg

Other parts of the world have complained about this problem too.
They will have an extremely hard time fixing the motor switch issue if it is hard-coded in the receiver. Greg

I agree. I have been told it is impossible to fix the motor/switch issue on this receiver. It is a hardware limitation, not a software.

The good news, I was able to scan in KFTL-LD on AMC-6 bird 72*W by punching in the freqs, and the low bitrate at 1.666 MBs!:)

Not only that, I just noted my sathawk's banner there is a teletext's data and I punched the teletext's button and it's shows a black screen and on the upper left corner of the screen says 100 and I am assuming it's page 100.:hungry:

I try different page numbers, but no luck.:(

It's been a long times, since 1981 back in UK, that I used the teletext for news, weather and sports updates those were the good old days i'll tell you that.:cool:

USALS tells the motor where to stop for a given satellite based on your location.
What does USALS have to do with the motor switch problem?

USALS tells the motor where to stop for a given satellite based on your location.
What does USALS have to do with the motor switch problem?

motor control and diseqc switching are based on the same command string format. only the address byte and the data byte changes. if this reciever can do only one at a time it is a software limitation. the software team needs to code the menu options that allow us to send the proper command strings. im not sure what hardware limitation there could possibly be that would make it impossible to control a switch and a motor at the same time. since we know the hardware can control both already (just not at the same time) and we know all that changes is the address byte and data bytes it is definately a software issue because both of these bytes are being controlled by the software.

crackt out,.

That is a good explanation but why can't we use a 22KHz tone switch? It is not based on diseqc commands.

You cannot easily use any switch and a motor with this receiver. This problem seems to be hard-coded into the receiver. Google "hardcoded software" if you are not familiar with the term. GregH

Doesnt make much sence to hard-code that functionality, I could understand doing something in ROM or OTP if you wanted to prevent tampering/copying but not in this case.

If it was a chipset issue other boxes with similar chipsets would exhibit the same flaw.

Even Sadoun, mentioned this issue would be resolved and I doubt anybody knows more about the box then he does, afterall he does have alot of skin in the game.

So Im optimistic.

Hello Greg, When you talk of hard-coding, do you mean ROM, OTP, or lazy programming with defined variables? Because, I dont see how lazy programming shouldbe an obstacle, to correcting this issue.

To put it simple, I think they embedded the motor and switch in the software where they can't easily change it. I don't look for it to get fixed anytime soon.

We are wanting to purchase a number of new HD receivers for our community but our communications with a China supplier about this receiver have not been very good. They are not optimistic about getting this motor/switch problem fixed. Maybe we are wrong and this problem will be fixed soon. Think about it... How long has it been since this receiver was released? How long should we wait? GregH

Assuming, they didnt rip off the source code from someone else. That would explain the lack of expertise they have in actually making serious fixes to the firmware.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)