Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Really wish the STB could dump the settings to USB drive directly instead of only via the RS-232 port. Having to hook up the PC to it the other day really stunk, when all I really needed it for was to move the file back and forth for editing.
Somewhere on this thread or the other one is the lastest firmware and a channel editor for the SatHawk. You can dump the entire firmware+channel settings (Image File), edit them and upload back to the STB via USB. Manual PIDs can be added in this way, as well.

I got a reply from Sadoun on his website and he knows nothing about discontinuing of the sat hawk.I gave him the link from a few posts back and he thinks there is no truth in it.

It would be nice if Sadoun would support his receiver. There has been lots of solutions for problems and other information about this receiver posted here. I have seen nothing from Sadoun except sales talk.

The 505 fie is attached for those that want it. Greg

Attachments

• NM_HDS2_CMT_1005051035.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
What are the differences supposed to be?

And, I do NOT understand their version numbering system anymore. The last version I have is 1004151241 (that's what comes up on the receiver info screen; the filename ended in 1243 though). It's pretty obvious that it refers to 2010 April 15, and the new version to 2010 May 5, but then the last four digits, which I had been assuming was the version number because they kept going up, suddenly have gone DOWN from 1241 to 1035. Huh?

Ago,
I tried that already and unfortunately.. it doesn't transfer to the receiver. Again, i strongly think if they can do universal lnb then they can easily do motor/switch because each universal lnb has a 22k built into it. How hard is it then just to tweak the menus to include the option? This has baffled me and both sadoun or the manufacturer cannot answer.

I know what you mean Ive lost confidence in Sadoun. I wish DMS International would release a DVB-S2 Traxis, but I havent heard anything about it.

The PVR800 was mentioned on the "FTA show" last week and I guess they are going to play around with a sample unit later on. If they can figure out how to fix some of the issues before they have a final word on it, I really believe they can move alot of these things.

I'll try the Hi/Lo channel editor override on caouple different firmware versions and see if anything sticks.

It would be nice if Sadoun would support his receiver. There has been lots of solutions for problems and other information about this receiver posted here. I have seen nothing from Sadoun except sales talk.

Hey Greg, Any fixes worth mentioning on this FW release?

I have not looked through the 505 file completely, but the parts I have looked at appear to be unchanged from 415. The record and motor problems are still there in the 505.

What are the differences supposed to be?

And, I do NOT understand their version numbering system anymore. The last version I have is 1004151241 (that's what comes up on the receiver info screen; the filename ended in 1243 though). It's pretty obvious that it refers to 2010 April 15, and the new version to 2010 May 5, but then the last four digits, which I had been assuming was the version number because they kept going up, suddenly have gone DOWN from 1241 to 1035. Huh?

I think the last four digits are the time of day when the file was made.

I don't think Sadoun is to blame for the lack of support, it's not like the manufacturer is helping either! I mean, when I asked the manufacturer whether it would do 4:2:2, they basically said "oh yeah, it'll play anything"; they still advertise it as a Linux-based receiver, which, if even true, is inconsequential because it's not open-source; and they still advertise it as being a Dreambox clone when in fact all it has in common with the Dreambox is it'll, apparently, be an IKS client for one.

remote

Fixing the remote is easy. Use a soldering gun and re-position the IR emitting diode on the remote. It is being blocked by the plastic casing. You might also want to do same to the receiving end on the receiver. I did the above and my remote is working like magic.

Thanks for that info. Only took about five minutes and my remote works great now.

Could someone please tell me how to get this firmware on my receiver? I can dump my firmware to my pc using an editor & rs232 cable. When I extract the firmware from the link above I get a file that is about 1.33mb with no file extension. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA Nevermind i figured it out had to add .zip to the extracted file. I'm an idot lol

Last edited:
I don't think Sadoun is to blame for the lack of support, it's not like the manufacturer is helping either! I mean, when I asked the manufacturer whether it would do 4:2:2, they basically said "oh yeah, it'll play anything"; they still advertise it as a Linux-based receiver, which, if even true, is inconsequential because it's not open-source; and they still advertise it as being a Dreambox clone when in fact all it has in common with the Dreambox is it'll, apparently, be an IKS client for one.

Well he brokered the deal and pushed the receiver to the community in its half-baked form. If you bought the receiver from China you bought it without the support. However if you bought it from him you would expect to get something from the $100 dollar premium!

Plus, he is the one with the leverage, he is moving recievers in North America. So his hands arent exactly tied when it comes to getting things fixed.

Anyway I'll see how this plays out, if he orphans the box without any fixes, I highly doubt I'll be buying anything from him ever again.

415 vs 325 firmware

I uploaded the 415 firmware last week for a try last week and wasn't too impressed.
Some functions on my remote acted real weird and it didn't solve any of the minor issues I have with 325 like remembering video settings etc.
Did anyone else notice this?
I'm back to 325 for now...

Greg,
Where do you guys get these firmware? Not from Sadoun.com. So who is distributing the firmware.

I uploaded the 415 firmware last week for a try last week and wasn't too impressed.
Some functions on my remote acted real weird

Uh, wow... I had assumed that my remote was flaking out due to all the mashing of buttons required to overcome the stiffness and the poor IR strength!

Thanks for the remote tip, I resoldered the led on on the other side of the board big difference.

Greg,
Where do you guys get these firmware? Not from Sadoun.com. So who is distributing the firmware.

The Solomend 800 receiver was designed to be sold on the World Market. It has been supported at various locations around the world. If you will look on the internet, you can find some information about this receiver along with upgrade files.

If this box is running Linux, according to the GNU General Public License, the source code must be made available or the manufacturer of the STB is in violation of the license. You might want to check out.

This file is invalid file.

If this box is running Linux, according to the GNU General Public License, the source code must be made available or the manufacturer of the STB is in violation of the license. You might want to check out.

I agree ! and after investing, it is running on linux. The firmware files are GNU C Compiler ELF/DWARF format absolute files.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)