Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey Guys,

How hard would have been to add a 5150/10750 22Khz Lnb option? From what Im getting from comparing from thex files from all these different boxes they are all very similar and then slightly modified. Im playing with hex editors and disassembler's to try to get a 22khz option to work.

Very frustrating, just release the bloody source code, Its all mips open source and prob. orginated from an Ali reference design anyway, what do they have to protect?

Anyway, just wanted to vent, I'll keep playing around this evening. At this point though the Azbox is looking more and more attractive every day!!!

I would live with the 5150/10600 Universal option. Though on my 6ft, C and Ku band don't peak at thesame position. My guess is, nobody knows the original manufacturer as this box is a clone of a clone. So it is very far down the clone chain so much so that we've lost track of the original R&D.

For the whole motor/disqec issue, wouldin't this be a solution for now until new firmware comes out?:

Eagle aspen B1 C band (bandstacked) & a dishnet FSS bandstacked for KU (or any other bandstacked KU LNB). Put a combiner in the middle before the reciever (like a Eable aspen DTV3x4)
I believe that on the satellite listing for the reciever, you can hardcode a voltage.

So you make two sat lists for every sat that has both KU and Cband (nothing different than I have to do now for my classic NA). set the Cband to 5150/5750 and hardcode to 13V. For the KU, set to 13850 (for Dish FSS LNB) and hardcode to 18V. When you BS, you still scan both V an H on Cband, but the receiver will still only send 13V and therefore remain on the Cband lnb. On the KU side, only scan H (since 18v was choosen) and scan 14800- 16000.

From what I remember about this receiver, this should work. Its definatly not ideal at all since you have to offset one of the LNBs when mounting to your dish and it also would take a while to set up all of the sat locations (disqec 1.2 needed for the offset LNB since it will be 4-6 deg off center from USALS). It also limits your choices of LNBs, which quite frankly might not be even conceivable for some owners.

Just passing my 2 cents :)

Still playing with Hexworkshop, looking for a needle in a haystack. No decent decompilers for MIPS really exist (although Hex-Rays has a awsome x86 decompiler), really couldnt find a disassembler that fit the bill either.

I contacted Ali looking for a source for a dev board and sw tools for the Ali chip and I contacted China asking for them to either fix the issue or give me the tools so I can try to fix it myself.

I know it seems like a waste of time, but now its personal.

Could you try emulation since it would be hard to figure out every call to a piece of hardware on the hd pvr800? For example, USB port=no problem, HDMI port=no problem, Ethernet port=no problem, specific chip sets (such as controllers, regulators, bridges)=can be a problem. If you're like me and use a PC, this could be a problem as well without an emulator. The dev board maybe the only answer.

Much like the Dreambox, I have tried to FTPing into the box and get a "Waiting for welcome screen" message but never gets anywhere beyond that. I know FTP is working on hd pvr800 but I'm not sure of the file structure, if any, on the box.

Can you elaborate on "I know FTP is working"? It's been a few software versions since I portscanned the box, but every time I did, the only port I could find open was 110, which is odd since there's no POP3 server on the box. (My Dish ViP 622 also shows port 110 open. I have no idea what that's about either.)

Can you elaborate on "I know FTP is working"? It's been a few software versions since I portscanned the box, but every time I did, the only port I could find open was 110, which is odd since there's no POP3 server on the box. (My Dish ViP 622 also shows port 110 open. I have no idea what that's about either.)

I was using an ftp program when it came up with the message. Afterward, I portscanned the box and realized that the ftp program was not connecting to anything - so much for hope.

I found a ID list for m3602 chips and a Utility (ali universal fixer) to patch firmware for older Ali DVB-S stb's, doesnt seem to work on the m3602. There is also a hardware mod to cut out the decoder that im looking into also.

I hate using links but here is one that I created. Link is down below. I don't know if anyone is aware but there is a program for the hd pvr800 that has a channel editor and loader. Just need to unrar it. I have tried the editor with the firmware file found at Sadoun's website. It works perfectly for editing channels and saving changes. I have not loaded the modified file into the receiver to try it. From what I've read, it does have the ability to save your channel list from the receiver to USB only after you update the firmware with the one that is supplied in the .rar file. It does have screen shots and a tutorial of it being used with hd pvr800. Use it at your own risk.

PVR800-loader_Editor_HD.rar

I give up, couldnt override the Universal LNB settings with a 5150/10750. Main code is encrypted and although "Ali Universal Fixer" will unpack the LMZA encrypted Main code section so you can modify the custom ID or overwrite values, it doesnt work on the m3602. Hopefully they either fix the problem or come out with a newer version of Ali fixer that supports the m3602.

Im thinking of putting together a a mini-itx atom board with a 8920 dvb-s2 card, Im sick of all the stupid compromises we have to put up with on all these FTA stb's.

I give up, couldnt override the Universal LNB settings with a 5150/10750. Main code is encrypted and although "Ali Universal Fixer" will unpack the LMZA encrypted Main code section so you can modify the custom ID or overwrite values, it doesnt work on the m3602. Hopefully they either fix the problem or come out with a newer version of Ali fixer that supports the m3602.

Im thinking of putting together a a mini-itx atom board with a 8920 dvb-s2 card, Im sick of all the stupid compromises we have to put up with on all these FTA stb's.

Join the club. Can you share the "Ali Universal fixer"?

Hey, Just google "Ali Universal fixer 1.4b" I would post it but I wouldnt want to step over the line and post something that's borderline hacking.

I think you have the right idea here, but the Atom hardware platform might not be the best for dealing with MPEG-4 HD unless you intend to use a hardware accelerated video card (i.e., the later 2000, 4000, and 5000 series ATI cards).

Ya I figure it has to be at least X4500 video and a dual core atom for 1080p. I have a Athlon X2 on a matx board I might just underclock and undervolt that.

Here today gone tommorow, thats the problem with all these FTA boxes. Im sick of them pandering to card sharing while leaving the true fta crowd out in the cold. I also dont want to be held hostage for future updates!

D510 Mini-Itx (Intel) $75 CAD
Mini-Itx Case and PS $50
2.5" HD (I already have)
RAM (I already have)
DVB-S2 Card $68 (Aliexpress)

and if it cant handle HD that well

BRCM Crystal HD Card ($30)

With this I have a web connected, media center integrated box the can to 4:2:2 and in the Clear DCII. What do you think?

This Sathawk has really soured my opinion on FTA stb's I got three of them and they are all medicore at best.

Unless you have to have the DCII, I'd get a card that has blind scan. Or do you have another box you're going to use for scanning?

Does this receiver receive the 70 plus DVB-S2 RTN channels on C-band?
Is Sadoun currently selling this receiver?
Is this receiver worth buying?

1) Yes. No Problems with that.

2) Have to check with Sadoun. His stock comes and goes.

3) Depends on what you expect of it. It ain't no Coolsat 4000 when it comes to user-friendleiness, but it ain't no Satpros 500 either. Just like anything else, it has its idiosyncrasies.

That being said, I own two. :D

D510 Mini-Itx (Intel) $75 CAD
Mini-Itx Case and PS $50
2.5" HD (I already have)
RAM (I already have)
DVB-S2 Card $68 (Aliexpress)

and if it cant handle HD that well

BRCM Crystal HD Card ($30)

The Broadcom Crystal HD card should take care of offloading the MPEG-4 from the CPU, so that should work well.

Put my Solomend up on, Kijiji. Im not bitter I actually dont mind the receiver but the motor/switch issue is a deal breaker So Im going with a PC instead, so long Viewsat,Sonicview, Pansat and Solomend its time for a change!!!

I just snagged this for my setup.

http://www.tevii.com/Products_S470_1.asp

Fingers crossed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts