Revolution

I'm actually going along for the train ride since so many people are watching. I'm not sure why they're watching (perhaps there is no other sci-fi on network television and very little on cable) but the are watching. Anyway, I may stick around until the train wreck. Might be fun. :)

There is supposed to be a working steam locomotive in the next episode, so you just might get the train wreck you've been seeking. :D

We won't get upset if you post a brand-new post. :)

Ok. :)

I liked it better than last week's episode. It's still got issues, but my timer is still there for it. I think they handled the loss of a character well, and it did tug the heart-strings some, so the acting was pretty good there.

I liked that we didn't see any lightning with the anvil clouds and the tornado. So in this universe, something fundamental has happened concerning electricity. It can't be generated anymore, not even by nature. Interesting. The mystery of why mom left her kids because Miles wanted her to show up is going to be interesting (maybe).

I'm still hanging in there...

Probably the same train they use on Hell On Wheels...seriously...it gets used a lot, with some cosmetic changes.

There are loads of steam locomotives in museums across the country and most of them are still maintained to some extent. My problem would be with the TRACKS and the lubricant the train would need to operate. Rail lines need constant maintenance and deteriorate quickly after 2 or 3 years without maintenance -- but that is for lines that are in use. After 15 years. I doubt there would be much usable rail lines left because of loose spikes/baseplates or erosion of the track ballast and base. Wouldn't be impossible for Monroe Militia grunts to get a section of track ready for a train though.

There are loads of steam locomotives in museums across the country and most of them are still maintained to some extent. My problem would be with the TRACKS and the lubricant the train would need to operate. Rail lines need constant maintenance and deteriorate quickly after 2 or 3 years without maintenance -- but that is for lines that are in use. After 15 years. I doubt there would be much usable rail lines left because of loose spikes/baseplates or erosion of the track ballast and base. Wouldn't be impossible for Monroe Militia grunts to get a section of track ready for a train though.

If I'd written the episode, I'd have researched rail track maintenance and also made some calls in order to cover those bases, as well as find out whether museum steam locomotives could actually be put back into service. Given 15 years without electricity, the obvious choice of moving people and materials any decent distances in a fairly timely manner would be steam locomotives/trains/rail...

There are 10 steam locomotives still in use around these parts I can think of. All are for rail enthusiasts. All are privately maintained. This is the least implausible thing I can think of. Also in this week's episode they mentioned steam ships. So there is nothing "new". Lubricants also don't have to be petroleum, but even if they are, there's stockpiles of the stuff that could have been seized by the militia. As to rail maintenance, once again, easily maintained by a well-run militia. I can think of a hundred things more implausible than a locomotive in this universe!

http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/trainridesandexcursions.htm
http://www.kicentral.com/attractions/train.php
http://www.wmsr.com/

Soul Train: Monday, 15 October 2012 (10:00 PM ET)

"A shocking discovery threatens the gang's hope of finding Danny; Monroe gives orders that up the value of Danny's life; Nora connects with a rebel."

Don't forget to rate this episode over at IMDb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2311066/

Guest starring in this week's episode is none other than the infamous Don Cornelius and the Soul Train Dancers. :disco:

I just sit back and enjoy the show and not take things too critically. I can see an old beat up steam engine being brought back to life. No biggie.

S~

teachsac said:
I just sit back and enjoy the show and not take things too critically. I can see an old beat up steam engine being brought back to life. No biggie.

S~

Yeah I can buy that too. Like someone said earlier I like that they put enough thought into not having lightning during that storm. It's the little things :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

What I hated was...Elizabeth Mitchell was to, get "cut on (tortured", and to what extent...I thought that was in poor taste.

KAB said:
What I hated was...Elizabeth Mitchell was to, get "cut on (tortured", and to what extent...I thought that was in poor taste.

I agree, but when they showed her later she seemed fine

I agree, but when they showed her later she seemed fine

Maybe they yanked some of those molars out like they are going to do to her son. :rolleyes:

All we saw was her from the neck up. They could have done something to her legs or something -- like yank out some pubes. :eek:

I finally got around to watching the pilot episode so I could see how they reacted to all that radiation coming from the 6 melted-down reactors they passed on their way to ChiTown. :)

I was thinking about the last episode when they were in that theme park. The park they were in was abandoned in late 2009 and looked pretty rough after only three years. I'm thinking everything would look much worse after 15 years especially after people are stripping everything for burning, etc.

The steam locomotive should be interesting. While there are several in service ( three small ones in the 0-4-0 and 2-4-0 variety in my state alone ) they are very labor intensive to maintain. No way they can be left alone for 15 years and still be usable. MY only assumption is that Monroe requisitioned one from someone that was maintaining it for lack of anything else to do. In the pilot there was a guy patching/painting a sail boat in the middle of the street in Chicago.

I am still watching this show , even though to me the entire premise isn't credible. Here is something else I thought of. With no basic supplements in their diets , like vitamins, after 15 years , these people would look a little rough. No way to grow potassium or bananas . Without citrus they would get rickets , a disease that would of killed a lot of them. Without antibiotics simple infections that are easily treated today , would of caused a lot of deaths. A simple abscess in your mouth could of killed you. Charlie and her brother would be of age to grow in their wisdom teeth. Without pulling these , their entire mouths would hurt and their teeth could grow in sideways causing infection and death. But yet just about every person on the show has white, straight teeth and their has been no dental or medical help for 15 years. I still can not fathom how everyone can drink out of the standing water ,without boiling the water. And as I have already pointed out, there would be massive radiation clouds that would of killed a of not only people ,but animals across the entire country and planet ,where ever the nuclear power plants were located and meleted down.

My question is this: For what reason would someone create a device that blocks all electrical engines and electricity in general from working? What do they have to gain from it? Cause it's not like they get any power ,unless it is to be a dictator over these little militia republics that sprang up . At least JERICHO had a good premise behind the bombings of the main U.S. cities. A despotic Vice President that wanted to steal power . Sounded very credible and likely in the times the show was created in. This show will really have to come up with some out of this world idea to make this credible.

I am still watching this show , even though to me the entire premise isn't credible. Here is something else I thought of. With no basic supplements in their diets , like vitamins, after 15 years , these people would look a little rough. No way to grow potassium or bananas . Without citrus they would get rickets , a disease that would of killed a lot of them. Without antibiotics simple infections that are easily treated today , would of caused a lot of deaths. A simple abscess in your mouth could of killed you. Charlie and her brother would be of age to grow in their wisdom teeth. Without pulling these , their entire mouths would hurt and their teeth could grow in sideways causing infection and death. But yet just about every person on the show has white, straight teeth and their has been no dental or medical help for 15 years. I still can not fathom how everyone can drink out of the standing water ,without boiling the water. And as I have already pointed out, there would be massive radiation clouds that would of killed a of not only people ,but animals across the entire country and planet ,where ever the nuclear power plants were located and meleted down.

Quite simply rough haggard people with bad teeth do not generate the ratings of wholesome looking athletes....

Well, they didn't get around to full explanations in Terra Nova or Alcatraz, either.

Just speculating but I think a basic design of nuclear plants would be a gravity operated fail safe. If all power fails down come the dampers. No meltdown.

Rail lines and steam engines require a lot of maintenance. To run one in that world would take infrastructure that just isn't there and M's Army can't spare. Not to mention fuel requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)